Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a post about a month ago or so asking about selling or trading my Jeep and received many good responses along with some not so good ones. Well, the thing I’ve enjoyed the most about Jeep ownership outside of top down 4x4 is this forum with many good people. My time as a Jeep owner is just about over.

I’ve decided to officially trade and not sell privately. After my tax savings on my new Honda Accord hybrid, I’m getting around 28k. There’s no way I’m getting more than that privately after looking here locally. You can buy a new one for that or a little more with full warranty. I’m pretty much paying very little at closing for paid for new hybrid that makes more sense for my family at this time.

Will I miss some things about owning a Jeep? Hell yes. But I’ve analyzed this shit enough and it’s time to move on. I personally don’t want a Jeep as a daily ever again. I don’t think my Jeep ownership is over forever though, I see myself in the next few years buying either a unmolested TJ or YJ as a weekend warrior only. Something I can tinker with and not feel guilty about. I will never buy a JL and probably not a JK.

Yes, I’ll get hammered by some here for going hybrid, sissy, etc... . Not too worried, I’m confident I’m making best financial move for my family at this time. Every dollar I’m not putting in gas or maintenance will be knocking out mortgage and going into retirement. I’m not working extra years for any vehicle.

Thank you to all the good people here who helped me when I was brand new and I learned so much here from so many truly good folks. It’s a fantastic community. I’ll probably still check in to read great threads and still comment at times because I enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Do what you need to do and be happy. It's life and life's needs and wants change.

If a hybrid is the right move for you, do it. Doesn't matter what others think. You are doing exactly what I said to do in another thread.

Good luck with your new vehicle and may it give you many trouble free miles.

·
Registered
493 Posts
No Jeep waves for you!

[Read that in the context of a certain Seinfeld episode.]

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I started a post about a month ago or so asking about selling or trading my Jeep and received many good responses along with some not so good ones. Well, the thing I’ve enjoyed the most about Jeep ownership outside of top down 4x4 is this forum with many good people. My time as a Jeep owner is just about over.

I’ve decided to officially trade and not sell privately. After my tax savings on my new Honda Accord hybrid, I’m getting around 28k. There’s no way I’m getting more than that privately after looking here locally. You can buy a new one for that or a little more with full warranty. I’m pretty much paying very little at closing for paid for new hybrid that makes more sense for my family at this time.

Will I miss some things about owning a Jeep? Hell yes. But I’ve analyzed this shit enough and it’s time to move on. I personally don’t want a Jeep as a daily ever again. I don’t think my Jeep ownership is over forever though, I see myself in the next few years buying either a unmolested TJ or YJ as a weekend warrior only. Something I can tinker with and not feel guilty about. I will never buy a JL and probably not a JK.

Yes, I’ll get hammered by some here for going hybrid, sissy, etc... . Not too worried, I’m confident I’m making best financial move for my family at this time. Every dollar I’m not putting in gas or maintenance will be knocking out mortgage and going into retirement. I’m not working extra years for any vehicle.

Thank you to all the good people here who helped me when I was brand new and I learned so much here from so many truly good folks. It’s a fantastic community. I’ll probably still check in to read great threads and still comment at times because I enjoy it.
Can't speak for what people will or won't say but.... "I'll say" See you when you come back! I have gone through "phases" for many reasons where I tried other modes of conveyance.
They worked to varying degrees for awhile - I'm at the age (finally) where I know things that I like, do not like and most of the stuff in between.
I drive - Jeeps.

Everything else bores the living shit out of me and I am not fun to be around when I am bored.

So, to Hell with what people think and say (to include me) be happy, be content.

Happy Trails! :)

Rubi

·
Registered
423 Posts
Happy trails mate! I honestly love the idea of getting a hybrid, and I take some heavy umbrage to people here who pan people who actually want to think about the environment, practical usage, and honestly better overall quality. I love my Jeep, but as a daily drive and just as an over all car (gasp I said car!) it's not very practical. I applaud you for not just following what everyone preaches and claims that people who like more managable, smaller, and environment friendlier cars are 'not manly" enough or some crap. Not to rant but the over testosterone filled need to berate people for not thinking of the Jeep wrangler as the end all be all of cars is pretty annoying. I don't know about you, but I don't take my Jeep offroad, I don't do trails. I like driving it cause it's fun, I love the look and I love how easy it is to customize. Like you though I've noticed that it's not exactly high quality compared to other vehicles... I get pretty annoyed about how closed minded people can be that if you don't use your Jeep in a certain way, or think certain hiveminded thoughts about being a Jeep owner that you're just a sissy weakling or some crap.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, yes I’m crazy and admit pretty indecisive at this point because I don’t want to have major regrets. I just mentioned in another thread vehicle forums are both a blessing and a curse. I found the Accord thread discussing lots having major issues with collision mitigation lights flashing, demanding to take to dealership. Some stopping on them.

One thing I’ve always loved about Jeep is simplicity. I intentionally bought Sport model because I wanted roll up windows and manual locks. I’m just disappointed when I read how many others here are having issues with relatively low miles. I haven’t traded it yet because they don’t even have car I wanted and could take 2 weeks. I actually just got my deposit back. I definitely have some soul searching to do.

Honestly, I was already finding myself looking at older used Jeeps on Craigslist last night before I even traded, sad but true.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Good for you, for being more financially sound! I should take a lesson or two!
I loved my Jeep, but I love my Toyota Sequoia even more, tons of room, tons of towing capacity (for future travel trailer a), gobs of power, build quality is awesome, and gets the same mpg (lil worse city, lil better highway). I’ll drag my Honda 4 wheeler out with me, and not have to worry about getting stuck or breaking down.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I never knock anyone for their choices, but for me it's only the Wrangler. A love affair for 40 years with hopefully many more to come.

Every day's an adventure!

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
Like @RubiconSS I convinced myself one or twice before I was over Wranglers. I used all kinds of convoluted logic to justify my decision. After six months I was crawling back into one.

I learned my lesson: I need to have a Wrangler in my garage. It’s an addiction. It’s just sick...

Don’t be a stranger.

Good luck.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I am sick. Even though it’s horrible on gas, supposedly unreliable longterm which hasn’t happened for me yet, I just can’t let her go. I sat in garage last night looking at it and thinking how many busted rookie knuckles I endured making this Sport mine. Told wife I’m keeping it and in next year or two getting second used gas saver. I told Honda thank you but I’m keeping my Jeep.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ha, I just opened this thread for the first time, read your first post and then scrolled to the bottom to see the last. Oh the struggle.

I'm personally all for the used gas saver option, I kept my now 11 year old small sedan for exactly that reason when I bought my new JK last year. Uses half the gas and lets me keep the miles off the Jeep when I can stop myself from jumping in the Jeep because I like it so much more.

Not sure of your financial situation, but why not get an el cheapo old gas saver soon so you can stop feeling bad about spending so much on DD Jeep fuel?

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
Yes, I am sick. Even though it’s horrible on gas, supposedly unreliable longterm which hasn’t happened for me yet, I just can’t let her go. I sat in garage last night looking at it and thinking how many busted rookie knuckles I endured making this Sport mine. Told wife I’m keeping it and in next year or two getting second used gas saver. I told Honda thank you but I’m keeping my Jeep.
Welcome back! That was quick!

But it ain’t that easy. Now you have to rejoin the forum all over again and get a new screen name. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
LOL!!

The dark side is strong!!

I love my jeep and refuse to drive anything else as a DD. A jeep is like a good woman..shes not the prettiest, smoothest, acts up sometimes, but shes just what I want and shes all mine!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha, I just opened this thread for the first time, read your first post and then scrolled to the bottom to see the last. Oh the struggle.

I'm personally all for the used gas saver option, I kept my now 11 year old small sedan for exactly that reason when I bought my new JK last year. Uses half the gas and lets me keep the miles off the Jeep when I can stop myself from jumping in the Jeep because I like it so much more.

Not sure of your financial situation, but why not get an el cheapo old gas saver soon so you can stop feeling bad about spending so much on DD Jeep fuel?
Not a bad idea. But right now we are paying off some mortgage second lien debt, looking to have that SOB gone this summer and oh will it feel good. Since I have my top down vehicle already, I think I’ll save up starting next year for a used Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ fun car. I honestly don’t think I’ll be able to stand driving some Prius daily just to save gas. Thoughts?

Lol, just bought my JL hood clamps and American Outlaw door pins.

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
Not a bad idea. But right now we are paying off some mortgage second lien debt, looking to have that SOB gone this summer and oh will it feel good. Since I have my top down vehicle already, I think I’ll save up starting next year for a used Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ fun car. I honestly don’t think I’ll be able to stand driving some Prius daily just to save gas. Thoughts?

Lol, just bought my JL hood clamps and American Outlaw door pins.
Or go the way @FUBAR-Retiree is going and get a Miata.

A low-miles 2013-15 Miata Club for $18,000 sounds like a win-win to me.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Retirement is something I do while I am still working. Last couple of years I realized it’s more a state-of-mind then an event with a hard demarcation. I am doing things right now that I told myself before I was going to do after I retired. Why not do them now when I’m still young enough to enjoy them and have a good time.

I almost sold my S4 a couple of years ago in a state of frenzy panic that I needed to get rid of things that were so-called extravagant. I am so glad I did not sell that car, it really takes the edge off the Jeep and allows me to pursue mods strictly for off road performance.

As much as I enjoy off roading , the scenery, hiking, and camping, I am really a speed guy at heart.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Reply to all the Good Folks

Good for YOU ! You were honest with your feelings in your posts; that you can be proud of. Years ago I learned when a friend or associate asked my OP on what vehicle they should buy.. my answer was and IS .. It is your $$ Get what you Want!

Also.. many will not agree; however, vehicles will take on the personality of the owner... think about this one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts