Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
dirt road inspector
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
January 2012 I started "THE 730N RHB Q&A Thread" because I ordered that system on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler and after living with it for a couple of months was looking for help understanding why an AM/FM, CD/DVD/MP3, satellite & GPS that cost THAT much had so many weaknesses and poor characteristics.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/the-730n-rhr-q-and-a-thread-133496.html

To date there have been over 100,000 views for that thread. A lot of 730N owners had an interest in the same issues I had.

Last November I bought a 2016 Jeep Wrangler with a 430N RHB and I have questions and issues with the Alpine Premium sound system as well. Dollar for dollar I would not have bought the 730N again if it had been available but that is a moot point, it was not and I have the 430N.

There are several threads discussing the 430N, especially the 2015 and later version. I have spent a lot of time chasing down the different threads to look for Jeep owners with the same issues.

Let's talk about it here (or not, your choice)

·
dirt road inspector
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
OK, I started it so here's my first issue.

One reason I was happy to get the 430N is the Garmin nav. I rely on the GPS for my work (yes, I get to drive a Jeep for work). My old Garmin GPS units were great. This one, well one thing at a time.

Several times a week when I attempt to use the GPS I get this screen:

It is locked up from there. Turning the HU of does nothing. It takes at least an hour of the Jeep being shut down to get it back on line. I can not afford that much time to get it back.

Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Yeah, there's a thread on it elsewhere. It seems FCA will replace the radio, but the new one will probably do it, too. It *seems* like it affects '14 and newer, but I don't know that to be the case.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
10,640 Posts
The 430N in my 2012 JKUR froze up like that two or three times I the 25,000 miles I owned.

Another two or three times it lost the ability to guide me as well.

Either time, I had to turn off the engine and turn it on again and it took care of it. But I was never able to replicate it.

FWIW, I too prefer the 430N over the 730N.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts

·
dirt road inspector
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which screen do you use on the nav? I have not found one with enough contrast between the roads and the background. It is extremely hard to see, especially in bright daylight.
What say you?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Which screen do you use on the nav? I have not found one with enough contrast between the roads and the background. It is extremely hard to see, especially in bright daylight.
What say you?
Default screen. No issues here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
JKU shopping or the wife. Not many things she cares about, but having the touch screen or Nav dash is one of her "wants". I said that we are better off in the long run buying one after-the-fact and installing it myself. I'm plenty handy, no issues with that.

My question is: "Can ALL JKUs have the 430 or 430N installed afterwards?" I see some models don't offer them as a factory option, so it leaves me wondering if the wiring will support the upgrade in the future. If not, which models will not support the upgrade?

Thanks.

·
dirt road inspector
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why is my 430N tracking every place I've been?

I was loading a CD to the HD a few evenings ago while enjoying an adult beverage (in the garage).

I was playing with the settings on the nav, not really paying too much attention to what I was doing. Since then I see a blue line on every street I've driven on. It's kind of distracting, especially on local streets I drive all the time.

It's not like the bread crumb function I had on my 730N, just a blue tracking line were I've driven.

Any ideas what this is, why it is an option and is it of any use?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts