Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as an old tire bender, I got in the habit of checking my tires now & then, especially since the traction ribs will pick up driveway rocks & then either clicketyclickclick for miles or fling them out at highway speed clacking against something below decks.

I don't like the annoyance, so I'll do the inspect & de-rock routine. This week end trip to beach, my diligence was rewards, as I found a full-length roofing nail squarely in my lug.

Fortunately, it was not as long as the full-depth rubber was and there was no leak...yet. But as the head wears off and the miles go onward, the remaining shaft will get driven ever deeper eventually to change your air pressure.

A little prevention pays off.

·
Registered
517 Posts
when i was a tire "buster" years ago, i pulled half of an open end wrench from inside a tire, went clean through the rubber and cracked the rim.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:DTotally agree with you JJ, Most of my weekly miles are on desert /gravel/rocks/shale and it ALL STICKS to the MTs, so I always walk around with a 12" pointer I carry ("L" shape one end) and pry anyting sticking in the tread-

as an old tire bender, I got in the habit of checking my tires now & then, especially since the traction ribs will pick up driveway rocks & then either clicketyclickclick for miles or fling them out at highway speed clacking against something below decks.

I don't like the annoyance, so I'll do the inspect & de-rock routine. This week end trip to beach, my diligence was rewards, as I found a full-length roofing nail squarely in my lug.

Fortunately, it was not as long as the full-depth rubber was and there was no leak...yet. But as the head wears off and the miles go onward, the remaining shaft will get driven ever deeper eventually to change your air pressure.

A little prevention pays off.
I've found a few of those roofing nails stuck in my tire tread and make sure thejack/ lug socket/tire sealer are handy--and pullit out, better to doit as soon as you findit, rather than wait for a very inopertune moment, at 70 on a crowded freeway !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Call me sentimental, but the first time I heard that clickety-clack sound I knew what was up, pulled over. pulled 'em and kept both of those suckers.
Now I've got a tiny pile in the corner of the garden reserved for those stones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am in the habit of performing a post and pre op on my jk. I recently went to a motorcycle poker run in key west and when I got home I did my usually check and found a exhaust valve stuck through my right rear tire it was about the size of a railroad spike. it went in through between the traction ribs and out the side wall. thank god for heavy duty mickeys.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D tracie, are you sure those aren't rare Taliban Christmas Ornaments ??

in addition to picking rocks out, i also pick these little suckers out. hate gum ball trees!

Well, probably not !

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a few years ago towing my 23' camper trailer into a state RV park, I heard a different 'clacketyclackety' sound.

What a surprise to find a broken off knife blade about 4" long sticking out of the tread!

One time I found an exhaust valve, once a finger sized rock, and numerous other road debris that would have been a problem.

Once I found a small 3 blade pocket folder wedged in between the lugs, that remains a useful little knife.

Never have seen 'Taliban gum ball tree spheres' though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a 99 Chevy Silverado and went out one morning to find a flat tire. I jacked it up, go the spare and replaced it. I inspected the tire and saw something rather large in it. After a little pulling, I found a spark plug had went through the tire.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
No..............

Well, probably not !

----------------------
They'er Iranian gum balls :rofl::rofl:

--------
Very strange, this comes up, as I just started picking out gravel about 2-weeks ago :popcorn:

·
Registered
206 Posts

Well, probably not !

lol - i wish they were rare. we removed 3 gum ball trees from our yard yet these annoyances still mange to appear out of no where. hmmm...maybe they ARE of taliban origin!

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
strider_mt2k said:
Call me sentimental, but the first time I heard that clickety-clack sound I knew what was up, pulled over. pulled 'em and kept both of those suckers.
Now I've got a tiny pile in the corner of the garden reserved for those stones.
Now that is funny!

My duratracs seem to be really good at picking up the little rocks about the width of a paper clip up every single time I go down a gravel road. My driveway is covered in them now lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts