Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've been stuck at the house for 2 weeks with viral pneumonia & nothing to do but take antibiotics, sleep, & share this story. So, here goes...

About 7 years ago, I bought my Jeep from one of those "Buy Here / Pay Here" type places for $4,995.00 & she was a beauty. Black & Chrome with some favorable trimmings like the 6" suspension lift, mag rims, billet add-ons. She ran stout too, very healthy motor. I had always wanted a Jeep so I bought it, I had just enough to buy it free & clear.

We were like two peas in a pod, cruising around, just the two of us. I drove it to the rig & everywhere else. (Short explanation: "The rig" means I used to work on a drilling rig for a living)

Then after about 2 months, the transmission dropped into 2nd gear & jammed... I MEAN WOULD NOT COME THE [email protected]&! OUT OF 2nd gear......period.

So, I waited until I had enough money to get the AX-15 completely rebuilt with beefier parts & hardware, if I'm going to have something rebuilt, it never goes back stock, something is always upgraded. As I didn't have the time to reinstall the transmission due to a busy work schedule, I had to have a shop put it back in.

Ok, transmission is back in & better than new, we are back in action for a while ................ so I thought.

Two weeks later I am cruising around Loop 250 in Midland, TX & KERRRPLOWWW!!! My transfer case explodes all over this busy 4 lane roadway in front of the local mall. When I say exploded, I mean one driveshaft went one way, the other driveshaft went the other & pieces of the case itself were scattered across all four lanes. Talk about embarrassed & PISSED. Luckily, there was a local police officer (& Jeep owner) behind me who helped me get it to a secluded area of the mall parking lot.

Again, we wait until I can get a new NP231J transfer case for her, along with being taken to a shop that will make sure my DRIVESHAFT ISN'T TOO LONG along with making sure everything else lines up correctly when it goes back together. Eventually, a year or two later along with alot of $$$ & parts, she is back on the road & we are together again cruising in unison. :dance:

This time we go about a year & a half without any problems, dated my wife in it before we got married, etc...

Then...... The steering starts slowly acting up & all of the sudden I am dealing with "Death Wobble" as well. So here we go with all new front end gear, a major steering upgrade, & new hub assemblies. Now we're back in action again, so I thought............ :facepalm:

This is about 2 years ago now....

I don't get to put 250 miles on it & the rear gears along with the rear wheel bearings are grinding & the front axle will not kick in when put into 4wd.
So I park it again :banghead:

I save up again & get all of the parts gathered up for it, then take it back to the shop. Once they tear into it, I find out I have to replace the rear axle shafts as well, oh goody. But luckily I found a good set of hardened shafts for nearly the stock price for them to replace the old stock ones with. So, this time we replace both front & rear gears to 4:10 ratio along with a Detroit Tru-Lock limited slip rear diff & other little goodies like it.

I get the call that it is finished & rush up there to get it so we can go play in the dirt ....... so I thought :nonono:

On the way home from the shop, haven't even made one stop anywhere, while slowing down at the stoplight, I encounter the worst "Death Wobble" I have ever seen in this thing. Well crap!!!! :facepalm: So I limp this thing home again & discover that one of the braces to my rear left leaf springs has torn due to a crack that could not be seen before. So due to being transferred a couple times with work, etc... It's a while before I get it back to the shop.

Soooo.......... I get it to another shop & get the frame & mount issues fixed. Cool, we're good to go for some long deserved wheeling ....... So I thought :rolleyes:

On my way back from the shop, the exhaust manifold presents the common crack that happens in the older 4.0 exhaust manifolds. Along side of this, the radiator stops up & the motor comes close to overheating. I shut the [email protected]&^ thing down & call a tow truck to take us back to the house.

My wife has a love/hate relationship with my Jeep & calls it my "Albotross" because I have sunk over $12,000.00 into the whole project & have only driven it maybe a total of a few thousand miles.

I keep telling her & everyone else, "Hey, I've replaced almost everything on it, why stop with minor details? By the time I'm finished, everything will be pretty much new, or better"

So now, present day......

I have a new exhaust manifold, intake manifold, aftermarket radiator, water pump, fuel pump & a bunch of other new parts to throw at it this year.... We'll see how far it get's me this time :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
holy crap! some luck! can't help but giggle a bit. man, i really hope your luck turns around quick! in the mean time....

:popcorn:

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I find it quite funny looking back on all of it, but I have a feeling I will get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it this year. I've already got plans for a 4.6L stroker to go in it, so if the motor goes, no surprise. That's just about all there is left to go out, as far as major components anyway...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Broken Parts Offer oppertunity for upgrades that would have otherwise been seen as unessasary that is my wife's and my moto.
just wish they didnt empty every pocket.

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow, that is crazy! You stuck with it a lot longer than I would have. I hope you get well and hope your Jeep stays well!
Thanks, feeling alot better now. Just finished all my meds.

I have alot of faith in the Jeep this year, & intend to cruise in it as much as possible.

I actually got started applying the Titanium header wrap to the new style exhaust manifold today. I am going to double wrap & seal it to help keep as much heat as possible away from the intake manifold & out from inside the engine compartment. I want to keep those underhood temps as low as possible here in the desert. I'm also installing an aftermarket electric fan onto the new radiator that's going in next.

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
That's quite a saga. I have 2 suggestions for you.
1. Everytime you walk out to get in your Jeep, stand directly in front of it and pull your empty pockets out. Maybe it will get the idea that today shouldn't be the day.

2. AAA

JK. Glad you're feeling better.

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. Everytime you walk out to get in your Jeep, stand directly in front of it and pull your empty pockets out. Maybe it will get the idea that today shouldn't be the day.

2. AAA

:rofl: Darn good idea :thumb:

& Thanks :wavey:

·
Registered
168 Posts
And I thought last month was expensive for me... HAHA! Good luck and glad you are feeling better!

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's some older pics of her ... I'll take some more recent pics soon with it actually out on a trail.

Attachments

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks nice! I can see why you would want to keep her at all (?) costs.
Thanks, I would say I am about +/- $12,000.00 into this one as of recent. That includes buying the Jeep for about $6,000.00 by the time you add TT&L, etc... on the initial buy.

All in all, I still wouldn't trade it for any other vehicle. Well ..... Except maybe a really nice tricked out late 90's Rubicon :D

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Thanks, I would say I am about +/- $12,000.00 into this one as of recent. That includes buying the Jeep for about $6,000.00 by the time you add TT&L, etc... on the initial buy.

All in all, I still wouldn't trade it for any other vehicle. Well ..... Except maybe a really nice tricked out late 90's Rubicon :D
not to be 'THAT' guy, but they didnt have Rubicons in the 9s... :whistling:

but im interested to see what happens!

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
:facepalm: A friend purchased an "84" about 2-mo ago and, damn, it's been in the shop almost ever since :nonono:

Radiator, ignition system, clutch and now a leaking axle thats been repaired for the 3rd time :surrender:

Wish you the best with your health and the Jeep :thumb:

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not to be 'THAT' guy, but they didnt have Rubicons in the 9s... :whistling:

but im interested to see what happens!
LOL, That's completely OK, I'm honestly not sure when the Rubicons came out, thought it was when the TJ's came out :thumb:

:facepalm: A friend purchased an "84" about 2-mo ago and, damn, it's been in the shop almost ever since :nonono:

Radiator, ignition system, clutch and now a leaking axle thats been repaired for the 3rd time :surrender:

Wish you the best with your health and the Jeep :thumb:
Oh no :nonono: Tell him I completely understand & to hang in there, eventually he will be able to enjoy it. :D

Ouch lol you're a trooper! Get well soon!!
Thanks! It took about 6 weeks to get over that crap, that was the sickest I do believe I have ever been.

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: It is inspected again & is now my daily driver again. :dance: It's running better than ever, definitely worth the wait & all the parts I put into it.

·
Registered
49 Posts

2. AAA

#1 is awesome!!:rofl:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts