Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I figure it’s time to start a build thread as I’m finally getting around to doing some real mods. I have done a couple of small things so far, but here’s how she sits right now.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Sky Automotive side marker light

This will be a rather slow paced build because I can only do so much at a time. What I have done so far is paint the headlights bezels and valence. Removed all the tow system components, save for the bar attachment points. I pulled the milk jugs off a couple days after I bought it. I ripped up one of the fenders, so I just pulled them all off. I kind of like the look, so I might work out a delete to clean up the appearance. I also got rid of the plastic tag holder on the back. Then shaped the tag to match the tub, and attached it with some roofing sheetmetal screws.

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just picked her up from having a new bank 1 cat welded in. I also ordered the ZJ upgrade parts. They should be in by next week.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part Gas Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the next month or so is going to be mostly maintenance/upgrading. I’m doing most myself save for the coolant flush at the dealership and the engine oil change at a lube rack I trust. I have to get this done before my wife, pup and I drive out to Fl. I’ll be staying out there for a while so no real truck trails or rock crawls to test the future mods on. 😢 Upside: I will have a huge garage to do mods in and store my top when take it off!

Here’s what is on the list for right now:

Transmission fluid and filter
Diff fluid and Lube Lockers for both
Transfer case oil
Coolant flush (dealership)
Engine oil (lube rack)
Radiator cap (mine just started leaking a little🤦‍♂️)
Spark plugs
OPDA swap
ZJ steering upgrade

Here’s what I have done so far:

A/C evacuated and recharged (for the wife)
(23 April ‘22)

New bank 1 cat welded in
(2 May ‘22)

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ones above the bumper are the factory tow points. I can put up some links, but most Jeep sites sell them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The ones above the bumper are the factory tow points. I can put up some links, but most Jeep sites sell them.
Thanks. My bumper didn't come with any because it's technically not "recovery rated", but I intend to bolt a couple to the strongest points.

That being said, this build looks neat, I really love the classic front bumper look.

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I’m just starting the build. It’s all factory right now save for some paint, and removing plastic pieces.

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The adjuster sleeves just arrived for the steering upgrade. This upgrade should take care of the slop I have in my steering. I don’t think the PO ever hit any zerks with grease.
Handwriting Shipping box Package delivery Rectangle Packing materials

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s funny! I haven’t been on FB in a long time.

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once I get all the maintenance stuff taken care of I will post up my list of mods. Some will be a little different than the normal, but that will be explained later.

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And Blue Santa just dropped another couple parts for the steering upgrade! These are some BEEFY TREs! Unlike the adjuster sleeves, I will need to tape and paint these before I put them on.
Photograph Leaf Organism Font Plant

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While I was running errands, these got dropped off: new tie rod and drag link.
Glasses Font Bicycle part Tool Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m going to hit them with some flat back either tomorrow or Friday. Then I’ll give it all a day to cure and install.

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sadly, between some medical problems and the honey do list I haven’t been able to do much. I have taped off the boots and threads. I’m aiming for painting on Friday, and installation a day or two after that. Here’s hoping! 🤞

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I managed to squeeze in some time to clean, prep and paint the Tie Rod, TREs and Drag Link. They got some etching primer, and then several thin to light medium coats of black high temp enamel. I’ll let them sit and cure for the next few days and slap them in sometime early next week. The adjusting sleeve came painted that’s why they didn’t get the same treatment. I might scuff them up and hit them with the same paint just to make them look the same.
Wood Gas Art Font Metal

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So yea. My FIL decided he didn’t want my parts sitting where they were (completely out of the way) and moved them. In the process he dropped the tie rod and drag link on the concrete steps. 🤬 Now I have to repaint them, so it looks like this weekend for install. 🤦‍♂️

1 - 19 of 19 Posts