Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally own a Rubicon... (short pause to bask in the joy)

And I've gotten much help from the forum with the beginning of the build. Here is our journey.

This bright white JKUR, named Bumble after the Yeti in my avatar, is to be an understated daily driver capable of hauling my awesome wifey and two really great kids anywhere we would choose to camp, hunt, or picknik in the Rocky Mountains of Colorful Colorado. It is not my intention to rock crawl, but I will have a vehicle capable of conquering the obstacles that are encountered while exploring here. It will also be comfortable enough to drive my wifey to dinner in her little black dress.

The family enjoyment aspect of this rig is more important than anything else. It is a vehicle for transportation, but more importantly for creating memories.

And so we've begun.

Meet Bumble:

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Our first round of mods:

Bushwacker Trail Armor Hood and Tail
Weathertec floor-mats and Mopar cargo mat
10A bumpers front and rear with an AEV rear tire carrier
Maximus 3 winch plate and Front hoop
Maximus 3 winch hook anchor and license plate bracket
Smitty built X2O 10K synthetic.
Rock Krawer 1.5" springs.
Rancho 9000XL Shocks (29's and 30's)
Ultra Crusher 17X8 et 10 wheels (4.88 backspacing)
315/70R17 Goodyear Duratrac tires

Most of this stuff is already installed. I'm looking to do the winch and front bumper assembly this coming week.

I'll also install the Terraflex rear track bar relocation bracket for 2" lifts
I'm trying to decide between the JKS or Terraflex front track bar.

Attachments

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Congratulations! Nice jeep! :)

Just for comparison, here is a picture of the TeraFlex (blue), stock (black) and JKS (gold) side by side. You can see the difference between them for yourself. Holding them each, there is an AMAZING amount of difference between the TF and the JKS. The TF Monster Trackbar is significantly heavier than the JKS.

We love the TF. Our friend who bought the JKS told us the day we installed them on our jeeps said if he'd known how much more stout the TF was, he would have bought it instead.

Just thought this might help you decide. Good luck with your mods this week! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Congratulations! Nice jeep! :)

Just for comparison, here is a picture of the TeraFlex (blue), stock (black) and JKS (gold) side by side. You can see the difference between them for yourself. Holding them each, there is an AMAZING amount of difference between the TF and the JKS. The TF Monster Trackbar is significantly heavier than the JKS.

We love the TF. Our friend who bought the JKS told us the day we installed them on our jeeps said if he'd known how much more stout the TF was, he would have bought it instead.

Just thought this might help you decide. Good luck with your mods this week! :thumb:
Picture? What picture? ;)

Nice Jeep. Love the color :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

I picked up the Terraflex Monster track bar and the Teraflex relocation bracket yesterday. Hoping to get the alignment (home) done today. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Teraflex Monster front LCA's in the near future; mostly because of the tire clearance, but also to get the caster up to 4.5*.

Sliders should be arriving this week!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Picture? What picture? ;)
DAMMIT!!! :facepalm:

That's what happened when you try to post coherently after working on jeeps all day! :nonono:

Sorry about that, OP! I fixed it and now there's even TWO pictures, instead of just ONE! :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DAMMIT!!! :facepalm:

That's what happened when you try to post coherently after working on jeeps all day! :nonono:

Sorry about that, OP! I fixed it and now there's even TWO pictures, instead of just ONE! :D
Well TWO is better than one! I REALLY DIG the blue paint... excellent!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Well TWO is better than one! I REALLY DIG the blue paint... excellent!
For what it's worth, the TF monster Trackbar comes in black. I just painted mine blue with some of the blue caliper paint I had left over.

I agree though. I like throwing random blue stuff under there! :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed the TF Montster, perfect name for it, and centered the axle and steering wheel. Going onto the alignment rack tomorrow to check the numbers.

I also got the TF rear bracket relocation bracket in place. The rear axle is .125" out to the left (driver side). That's going to have to wait for more funds to come in. Winch arrives today. Tub protection in transit! I'm excited to get it all on to check the net lift from the Rock Crawler 1.5" springs. Right now the rear is netting 1.625"

Pics to follow the winch install. It's 70*F in Denver for two days!!! Going to take the Family to dinner topless! KIDS HAVE BEEN BEGGING! (wish I had the lava jackets)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Last night I installed the winch and bumper assembly along with the Maximus 3 accessories. More importantly, we took off the top and went for a drive up Deer Creek Canyon. The temp was 74* at home and it hit 41* in the canyon! Everyone was a trooper, so we stopped for a warm chai in Connifer, CO.

Here's the winch finally spooled up. I really like the Maximus 3 hook keeper.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's the whole front bumper. I bought a full 10A set with the Maximus 3 winch setup on craigslist.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next phase complete. Today I assembled the TNT Adventure Step sliders. I chose these for several reasons.

1. Frame Mounted
2. They have boatside panels that can be purchased later.
3. Reasonable price
4. Excellent step

I'm not ready to drill into my tub to attach armor, nor do I want to install nutserts, so I purchased the Bushwhacker stick-on tub armor to protect the body from little feet. I was really impressed with the fit and application of the BW hood armor, but I'm still undecided about the rocker armor. I paid $180.00 delivered for the Bushwhacker tub pieces. Even at that price I might have over paid. I'll decide in a few months.

The TNT adventure steps are solid and bolt to the frame at the body mounts. There are twelve bolts total in each step. Six of them require drilling into the frame rail. They are supplied with 1/2 13 thread-cutting bolts, but I opted to tap the threads into the frame rail; I did use the included zinc 1/2-13 bolts for mounting them.

image-3273091729.jpg

The steps are screwed into the slider rails with included stainless cap screws with nylon locking nuts and zinc plated thread cutter bolts. As you are required to drill into the square rail for the thread cutter bolt locations, I decided to drill and tap the holes and replace the thread cutter bolts with a cleaner black zinc cap screw. That was an 15 dollar upgrade.

image-3687484274.jpg

image-2026089621.jpg

image-437796752.jpg

This install required a lot if drilling. I was surprised that I had to drill into the slider itself to attach the step platform. That process took about an hour for drilling and tapping both steps. It was 20 holes. The assembly of the step platform to the slider rail was a great way to get the 9 and 6 year old involved in modding the "Bumble Buggy."

image-3911902876.jpg

image-793828214.jpg

I finished just after dark, and it started to snow, so here are the only pictures I have as of yet.

image-3116413241.jpg

image-2648938939.jpg

image-3076794647.jpg

image-2745875338.jpg

image-771336381.jpg

These weigh 50lbs each. Adding to the 147lbs front bumper assy and the 180lbs rear bumper/carrier assy.

I'm confident I could drop or pivot on these with no problem, and they make a perfect step for the little one and my wifey. Eventually I will add the boat-side panels.

I have some Teraflex Monster front Lower Control arms coming in next week to get the axle caster back up to 4.5°, and then I'm going to do the sound system mods...

Also ordered my Off Road Heros fastback top in January. Looking forward to that arriving in the spring!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Never heard of this steps before. Looks cool! :thumb:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
During my alignment my caster was measuring 2º, so I ordered up some Teraflex adjustable LCA's. Installing them I brought my caster back up to 4º. The jeep handles much better. Even my wifey commented on the improvement.

After that, I upgraded my battery to an Odyssey Extreme 34R PC1500. It dropped right in. 850CCA!!! (the OEM is 600CCA)

This is going to be all for awhile. I'm changing jobs, and the transition is going to take most of my time for the next couple months. I'm looking forward to my Off Road Hero's fastback top arriving this spring!

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sweet build! im thinking of the exact same winch. How do you like it, any issues with install on the Maximus mount?
Thanks, I'm having a great time with it!

Zero issues with the smittybuilt and maximus-3 fitment. You do have to notch out the plate because this is perfectly centered, but if you have a drill and sawzall/cutting disk or something it takes about 15 minutes. I've read good thing about the winch, and I'm spending a lot of $$$ on this build, so a zeon is a few years away...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I know you ordered the ORH fastback top but had you bought the Cargo top, here's what it would look like on your jeep. We have very similar builds. I also have the Maximus 3 hoop (mine is LP), just not mounted in this pic.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts