Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , my 2008 JK has a clutch issue and it has since 1 week after we bought it. We have had it to the dealership 3 times for this issue . Were hearing a clanging/metal on metal/ almost sounds like a diesel in the distance sound and I know its the clutch cause at freeway speeds or any other speed for that matter I can push the clutch in and it stops the noise. its real faint sounding at idle (parked) and sometimes not there at all. But at idle if I push the clutch in and out in a quick manner the sound will start. Now we bought this jeep from a well known dealership here in MI. and they claim they have replaced the trans. with a used trans on the 1st visit and the clutch on the last visit .(THEY CLAIM) .And the clutch IS under warranty . But we feel that they are on dope, and their not capable of fixing it. I'm thinking of doing it myself are there any expert opinions on what the heck is causing this? IM ALL EARS AND EYES !!

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
Myself I believe that it is not only the throw out bearing but the way it sits with the clutch fork, they vibrate on each other because of this bad preload.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Many here have had their clutch replaced under warranty only to have the problem back even louder. I've noticed the sound on my Jeep as well but my tranny shifts and runs great so I'm not going to mess with it as it's the design that causes it to be noisy so people getting it replaced are only going to have the same noise either right away or soon after replacement.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many here have had their clutch replaced under warranty only to have the problem back even louder. I've noticed the sound on my Jeep as well but my tranny shifts and runs great so I'm not going to mess with it as it's the design that causes it to be noisy so people getting it replaced are only going to have the same noise either right away or soon after replacement.
Weird .. I ve hear of updated synchros or something like that. Or maybe a different brand clutch would solve it?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
All I know is my tranny runs great regardless of it being a bit noisy. I had a 1987 Ford F150 with a 4 speed manual and that thing was noisy too and the shifter shook all over the place like the Wrangler and lasted over a decade without any issues what so ever.

As long as my manual keeps functioning as it is, I'll leave it alone as I'm a firm believer in not messing with something that's working.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
my buddy and I just replaced the clutch in my 08 because the Throwout was squealing at take off. Now it has the pedal out rattle. Very annoying. Videos of me wheeling sound like I did a Cummins swap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts