Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all :)

man I had a horrible experience in a 4wheelsparts stores here in san jose.

the guy gave me the wrong part even when I mentioned the right part #.

then I went back and he lied about it not being in stock.

the manager brought the right parts out.

the manager also told him "sell the part even if its for someone else in back".

are they having inventory issues?

can they even keep big inventory levels?

with all the recent mall closings, im curious if 4wheelsparts may be going the same route in some areas? what do u think?

I went home and ordered all my parts from summit racing who carry suspension parts for jeeps too (they have a big jeep section) at 5 PM that day.

its on a UPS truck for delivery (says out for delivery) the next day (I ordered ground shipping) and it came from Nevada distribution center.

WOW!!!!!!!

ground shipping and its coming next day to be IN MY HANDS !!!!!

I am super impressed.

is this the death of 4wheelparts?

im not gonna go there no more :)

online rules.....

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

summit racing is looking pretty good.

you know with the mall trend and the death of retail, I cant help but wonder about the auto parts stores that aren't a big big chain and that don't have big inventory.

how can they really compete with big onliners with good distribution when they have horrible customer service....

they have lost my business.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The days of speed shops and 4WD shops are already past for small town USA. There are a few well known and established places left in the big cities, but they never have everything in stock and the prices are 50% higher than on-line. I guess that's OK for people that don't care about the budget or just want to drop off their project.

I don't usually need parts for a project on the same day. Shipping is so good these days that I can plan for a weekend project on Monday, order the parts, and have them before Friday. Exact part I want for less money. As long as this is the trend and the technical information is available on-line, I think the game has changed.

The only hope for these guys is to build one-on-one relationships with their customers to add an experience in addition to the parts. That is something that on-line cannot do. The question is how much is that worth? If they do it really well (Think Disney World), no problem to spend $200 or more extra for an experience.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Actually the only stores that are probably gonna be around are Grocery stores! Everything else can be bought on the Internet, and delivered right to your door.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Actually the only stores that are probably gonna be around are Grocery stores! Everything else can be bought on the Internet, and delivered right to your door.
I understand Amazon has bought a grocery store chain so you can probably expect to get next day home delivery on food from them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
they over sell low quality parts and charge too much to do a poor installation.

its amazing they've survived as long as they have.
They were never really known for the quality of the stuff they carry, their prices or their customer service. Bigger on-line guys - Morris4x4, JC Whitney, Quadratec, etc - have better stuff, pricing and customer service.

+1 on the "they've survived as long as they have."

·
Registered
847 Posts
I could see their retail stores going away but retaining online sales. I have used the Sacramento store and those guys seem knowledgeable and helpful. Shops like those are dependent on a good manager to hire good employees and concentrate on good customer service. If that does not happen, the store will suck.

Amazon sells grocery stuff already just not fresh produce. And they deliver in a couple hrs. The wife has used them a couple times when she couldn't get out due to sick or sleeping kiddos.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not saying 4wheelparts is a expert when i say this.

But its going to get quite worrisome when all these physical stores are non existent and you need actual help with something you cant just google how to fix.

I notice alot of local shops disappearing all over because they have totally lost the retail side of their businesses and cant completely rely on service side income too keep staff around.

and when you need their expertise on something they are gone for good at that point.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Living in Hawaii, on Kauai, they are pretty much the only place I order from because of extremely high price of shipping from any one else. They have a store over on Oahu, and will fill a pallet with parts, take it down to the barge and I only pay 56$ shipping on the whole thing. Some guys that were mentioned earlier quoted me 500$ to ship a bumper. So for now 4wheelparts gets most of my business.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Its sad. Brick and mortar are closing up shop and everything is going online. Id rather deal face to face when buying items.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The 4wd parts in Cleveland is Fantastic with great Mechanics who wheel themselves.. Never had an issue with them and their always booked up three weeks out..
This completely parallels the 4Wheel Parts here in Thousand Oaks.
They will also price match, so if you do your homework, you're good to go.
I rarely go anywhere else.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Never had any problems with the 4wheelparts here. Always been helpful and each employee has something they wheel as well. And I've never had to wait more than 3 days for something from them. But if it's something I need sooner, there's summit and crown distribution centers here so I can get almost anything same day

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I can order my groceries and even a cooked dinner online if I choose to do so. I've never done it though.

I would want to know that the item fits sometimes and to be able to talk to someone that can help face to face for many items. If a retailer wants to remain in business they need to offer the service that you can't get online. I have an auto parts store a couple blocks away. If I'm tinkering and need something I go and get it (Autozone). If it's a specialty item they don't have I search for a local parts store that might have it. If they don't, I go to an online retailer and order the part.

Our business has seen the same thing. The number of mom and pop retailers is shrinking to the growing online stores.

I'm a "Prime" example of that change. It is much easier to order from my computer at home or work and have the item arrive in 2 days. But I will only be satisfied if I can confirm my part number is correct by cross referencing with a manufacturers parts guide and comparing to the online retailers part number. I'd rather pay a little more knowing my part will be correct and if not, I can return it for the correct part and not have to repack an item, take it to a shipping company and then wait for it to be received and then a replacement sent out or credit issued.

:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered from summit at 5pm yesterday and selected ground shipping.

WOW! my complete order is here right now and its all correct.

im speechless.

yah I think the service center will keep them going perhaps???

the 4wheelparts in Colorado springs was cool

this one in san jose sucked. dunno

hmmmm can a drone drop off a new bumper? hahahahha :)

nope.

ok well see how this goes in the next few years.........

maybe the store manager here is stocking for the service shop only? I dunno??

I just like the idea of driving over to a store and buying the part in stock.

instant.

·
Registered
202 Posts
esp if you need it now.

like your alternator fails and you just have enough battery to get to the store on a booster pack this happen to me once.

Or your blower motor for your heater quits and its winter , had this happen in a blazer on me twice .

lots of examples out there , Coil failing need it for work next day , get a part that day nd fix before shipping would ever have arrived.

Here in my town its about 50/50 if the part will end up at the shipping depot in town or your doorway so then you would have to drive up there to get it anyways half the time.

Often a vehicle doesn't just break down in your drive way either nice to know even if you have to call someone there is a chance you can get needed part that day.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This completely parallels the 4Wheel Parts here in Thousand Oaks.
They will also price match, so if you do your homework, you're good to go.
I rarely go anywhere else.
The one I had my wheels and tires delivered to in the Phoenix metro area has been great. All the employees have Wranglers, Cherokees, FJs, or some other offroad vehicle. I walked in there two days after buying my first Jeep and got a ton of advice about what to do next to run 33s. No pressure to buy and everyone knows their stuff.

You had a single bad experience with a single register jockey that was corrected by the manager when you returned. You're making an absurd logical leap to say "the death of 4wheelparts stores?"

Exaggerate much? :lmao:

·
Registered
17 Posts
These stores are like any other chain: Some are good and some are meh. I have had good experiences with them in the past and when they have made mistakes they made it right with no issues

1 - 20 of 37 Posts