Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current Sears Die-Hard Platinum AGM seems it may be due for replacement. It's coming up on 6 years of service. I got a P0562 CEL this past week, which indicates low voltage. I threw my HF Viking smart charger on it, used the recondition function and all is well for now, but I believe the inevitable death is near, especially since we are having some pretty cold weather in my area.

I've been regretting this day, since the Enersys Odyssey Extreme equivalent prices seem outrageous in comparison to what I paid for the Sears branded Die-Hard Platinum which was $170..
Here is my latest Group Size 34 AGM comparison chart I've created in anticipation of getting ready for this day.

However, it seems I've run into some good luck since BatteryPlus has a great deal going on with the Northstar X2Power which rivals the price and performance of the Sears Die-Hard Platinum AGM.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli34=78agmdp
Regular Price:$250
Use Promo Code "CDP13175" ordering online and pickup in store to get 20% off, makes it $200
Then there is additionally a $30 off mail-in-Rebate running on that battery, which puts it at $170.
I'm not a fan of mail-in Rebates, but even at $200 this would be a great buy without it, but I'll certainly be mailing that in none the less.

Thought I would share to let others know who are currently in need of a good AGM battery. I haven't looked into the 3.6L JK X2 Power AGM battery offerings but it should be similar.
Happy Holidays!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I bought a Battery+ Northstar and so far so good but it has only been a like 4 months :). I like the fact that there is a batteriesplus around every corner and 100% replacement warranty not prorated and don't need your receipt just your phone number.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a heads up. It seems BatteryPlus prices will vary depending on which store you have selected. I originally had the store which was closest to my work selected and that's where the $250 price came up. Then I changed the store location to one which was closer to my house, and the price jumped up to $320 for the exact same battery.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Just a heads up. It seems BatteryPlus prices will vary depending on which store you have selected. I originally had the store which was closest to my work selected and that's where the $250 price came up. Then I changed the store location to one which was closer to my house, and the price jumped up to $320 for the exact same battery.
"Market Segmentation." :)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That battery will be around longer than Sears will be. Better hope you never have to use the warranty.

Not following? You talking about problems of Warranty replacing the Sears or the BatteryPlus?

The Sears owes me nothing at this point. 6 years of great service from that battery.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
LOL! Yeah, they're like 15 miles apart from each other in different counties.
just call your closest one and they will give you the same price I bet. I did not have a battery to trade in as my stock battery was still good and I wanted to keep it. I had an old lawn mower battery and asked if I could use that and they said sure. Mine cost $247.50 so not the cheapest but if I am lucky it will fail at 4 years and 11 months.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Group H6 batteries fit as well, so you can broaden your search outside of Group 34 batteries.

I picked up the AutoCraft Platinum H6 back in March to replace my 6 year old OEM (which was doing fine but I drive to the mountains a lot and didn't want to get stranded). It's been great, even when the Jeep is parked at the ski lot all day in 10 degree weather.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Group H6 batteries fit as well, so you can broaden your search outside of Group 34 batteries.

I picked up the AutoCraft Platinum H6 back in March to replace my 6 year old OEM (which was doing fine but I drive to the mountains a lot and didn't want to get stranded). It's been great, even when the Jeep is parked at the ski lot all day in 10 degree weather.
Now you tell me LOL! I asked that question previously if an H6 would fit in a 2007-2011 JK since it's just slightly bigger than Group 34 and therefore has higher specs and nobody in the discussion on this forum knew but said they were only certain an H6 would fit a 2012+ JK.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Now you tell me LOL! I asked that question previously if an H6 would fit in a 2007-2011 JK since it's just slightly bigger than Group 34 and therefore has higher specs and nobody in the discussion on this forum knew but said they were only certain an H6 would fit a 2012+ JK.
Mine's a 2014, so I can't confirm that the tray is the same size in the 07-11 JK but I would bet that it is. The H6 fits perfectly in mine just like it came with it from the factory

For my money, the AutoCraft Plat is the way to go. Great specs, good warranty, and Advance Autos are everywhere so it would be easy to exercise the warranty if needed. I also put one in my MJ and have been very happy with the performance

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great to know on the core exchange. Core was $18. I'm going to hold onto the DH platinum, and turn in an old lead acid batt I used on a trolling motor.

LOL! Yeah, they're like 15 miles apart from each other in different counties.
just call your closest one and they will give you the same price I bet. I did not have a battery to trade in as my stock battery was still good and I wanted to keep it. I had an old lawn mower battery and asked if I could use that and they said sure. Mine cost $247.50 so not the cheapest but if I am lucky it will fail at 4 years and 11 months.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, that's what everyone else indicated where there's uncertainty if an H6 or the batt tray is the same on 3.8L vs 3.6L.

BatteryPlus are everywhere in my area, so it's a similar situation for just stopping in for a warranty exchange as Jadmt mentioned. One of the other reasons I was leaning towards the Northstar over the Odyssey.

If you check out my chart, the Autocraft is included. It's made by Johnson Controls and it's specs pale slightly in comparison to the Odyssey and Northstar offerings in the same group size. That's not saying the Autocraft isn't good, it's definitely a good battery for the price but when you can get a Northstar at a comparible price at a local retail store then the decision was a no brainer for me.
Mine's a 2014, so I can't confirm that the tray is the same size in the 07-11 JK but I would bet that it is. The H6 fits perfectly in mine just like it came with it from the factory

For my money, the AutoCraft Plat is the way to go. Great specs, good warranty, and Advance Autos are everywhere so it would be easy to exercise the warranty if needed. I also put one in my MJ and have been very happy with the performance

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, that's what everyone else indicated where there's uncertainty if an H6 or the batt tray is the same on 3.8L vs 3.6L.

BatteryPlus are everywhere in my area, so it's a similar situation for just stopping in for a warranty exchange as Jadmt mentioned. One of the other reasons I was leaning towards the Northstar over the Oddysee.

If you check out my chart, the Autocraft is included. It's made by Johnson Controls and it's specs pale slightly in comparison to the Oddysee and Northstar offerings in the same group size. That's not saying the Autocraft isn't good, it's definitely a good battery for the price but when you can get a Northstar at a comparible price at a local retail store then the decision was a no brainer for me.
Can't fault your logic here. BatteryPlus isn't as common around here, at least not that I've seen. I heavily considered ponying up for the Northstar as it's an excellent battery. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all, especially getting it for about the same as the AutoCraft. I would have likely done the same even with BatteryPlus being less common.

I ended up getting my AutoCraft for ~140 out the door. Figured paying $300 for a few more CCA wasn't worth it, but if I could have got the Northstar for $200 or less I'd probably have gone with that.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts

It is not the same, the change to accommodate the H6 occurred in 2012 when the 3.8 was replaced by the 3.6

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Not following? You talking about problems of Warranty replacing the Sears or the BatteryPlus?

The Sears owes me nothing at this point. 6 years of great service from that battery.
Sears is a dying company. It won't be much longer before they're in Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

H6 is a direct exact fit for 2012 and newer.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sears is a dying company. It won't be much longer before they're in Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Yeah, that's a given. Was unsure the reasons you're talking about a Warranty on a 6 year old Sears battery.

Reactions: jadmt

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Love my DH AGM Platinum. Always used DH batteries in EVERY car and everyone I helped out. Here in FL, you burn through batteries fast. Stock lasted me just over 2 years. New DH is still running strong.

Yeah, who knows with Sears, but 5-6 years of life is worth the chance for me.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have had the Diehard platmnuim and they worked great and when it was time to replace I went with NorthStar, they work great no problems

I did find them about 75 dollars cheaper than the 300 listed on your chart at a local mom and pop battery supply store.

Worst thing about the NorthStar is their web site.

That battery you linked to at Batteries plus is showing up at $315 at my local store

1 - 20 of 36 Posts