Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I was coming home on the highway. Hit a moderate size bump and the jeep just goes crazy. She start shaking and jerkin and swervin. So I pulled over and checked around the front end and nothing seemed wrong. Got back up to speed and it seemed fine. Now I only have a 2.5" lift. I thought death wobble accrued when you got up to 4" lifts? Is it maybe cuz I haven't got an alignment yet after my lift? How do I fix this????? Thanks guys!

·
Commercial Member
7,880 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
DW can happen to any coil sprung vehicle lifted or not. Like said above, do a dry steer test. Check the axle side track bar bolt. They are notorious for wallowing out. You can check your alignment yourself in about 5 minutes. There's a write up showing how somewhere around here

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Mine looks like that but have zero issues. Mine was wallowed out on the axle side so I drilled a larger hole and used a 1/2" grade 8 bolt. No issues for a few years now. When your lift was installed, was the track bar loosened so the bushing wouldn't bind up? Also, control arm bushings, how are they?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine looks like that but have zero issues. Mine was wallowed out on the axle side so I drilled a larger hole and used a 1/2" grade 8 bolt. No issues for a few years now. When your lift was installed, was the track bar loosened so the bushing wouldn't bind up? Also, control arm bushings, how are they?
The only think we disconnected were the sway bar links. Directions didn't say anything about the track bar in the front. checked all the bolt and yanked on the tie rod control arms and trac bar and nothing seemed to be loose. I'm thinking I need an alignment and tire rotation.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My only concern is you stated it happened when you hit a bump. I've always noticed alignment will give you a shimmy in the steering wheel around 45-49. Tire balance will give you a shimmy at those speeds and higher speeds. (Before I changed my tires I couldn't see straight at 65mph it shook so bad lol). Most people refer those as DW, but it's more of an annoying shimmy. Bad front ujoints will also give you a vib but not DW. If it's from a bump or something, I'd be inclined to say it's caused from a loose suspension part. Check your alignment. You want to be within an 1/8" toe in. Maybe little less.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do the dry steer test as described above. Yanking on things will not show the movement that a dry steer test will if you have worn joints. Feel each joint as you do it, you can tell if any have play. Engine off
What is the dry steering test? I keep seeing that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My only concern is you stated it happened when you hit a bump. I've always noticed alignment will give you a shimmy in the steering wheel around 45-49. Tire balance will give you a shimmy at those speeds and higher speeds. (Before I changed my tires I couldn't see straight at 65mph it shook so bad lol). Most people refer those as DW, but it's more of an annoying shimmy. Bad front ujoints will also give you a vib but not DW. If it's from a bump or something, I'd be inclined to say it's caused from a loose suspension part. Check your alignment. You want to be within an 1/8" toe in. Maybe little less.
I have very minor vibration taking off I first and going into second. This was definitely DW. It was a "did i just shit myself?" Moment.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have very minor vibration taking off I first and going into second. This was definitely DW. It was a "did i just shit myself?" Moment.
That's DW lol. Vibes taking off is because your lift. Drop the tcase down with a couple washers. I'm guessing you have a RC 2.5" lift?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very Minor and Death Wobble don't usually go in the same sentence together. I'd watch a video on death wobble to see if that actually is what you have.

I'm not saying you're wrong..just my experience with DW, has nothing to do with a minor vibration. The last part of your statement..absolutely!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have someone sit in the jeep and turn the wheel back and forth (engine off) and see if things are moving correctly. Watch the track bar, it should not move at all
Okay so The track bar didn't move at all. Everything looks good. All I heard was the the pitman and the drag link moving.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ok, don't five up on it yet bud, we'll get ya fixed up. Definitely do the dry steer test. Since you never loosened your track bar, it should be tight. The factory bolt is an (in my opinion) undersized bolt. The bushing might alao be shot allowing it to move. When you hit a bump it allows that bushing to go wild and it will transfer that wobble to everywhere. If you didn't align it after lift, grab a tape measure, small pipe wrench, 1/2" socket and 1/2" box wrench and do it yourself. (I've done my alignment on the side of the highway before lol).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very Minor and Death Wobble don't usually go in the same sentence together. I'd watch a video on death wobble to see if that actually is what you have. I'm not saying you're wrong..just my experience with DW, has nothing to do with a minor vibration. The last part of your statement..absolutely!
I have vibrations taking off and going into second. Today on the highway I hit a bump and it got violent.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Very Minor and Death Wobble don't usually go in the same sentence together. I'd watch a video on death wobble to see if that actually is what you have.

I'm not saying you're wrong..just my experience with DW, has nothing to do with a minor vibration. The last part of your statement..absolutely!
I think the vibes he's talking about are from the tcase on take off. He says the DW came from a bump.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts