Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a 2015 JKU Sport and now have a 2016 JKU Rubi. With both of them I have wondered 2 things:

1 - How many more miles can I go after the DTE indicator transitions from 30 Miles (remaining) to "Low Fuel" before running out of gas?

2 - How many gallons does the gas tank really hold?

My findings:

1 - I can go about 61.5 miles (give or take) before running right out of gas after the "Low Fuel" indication has started.

2 - I have kept close watch on mileage and how many gallons I pump into it at the gas station. As near as I can figure, the math always suggests a 21.5 gallon tank, not a 22.5 like is stated everywhere. This has been a mystery.

Please chime in with your findings....

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
When my dte flashes "low" Torque pro estimate is reading about 46km (about 28 miles) left.
Torque estimates to a dead empty tank, but I have never taken it that far. Frankly I don't see the sense in chancing an empty tank on the road in trying to figure out exact numbers when filling/emptying isn't an exacting science to begin with.

Volume of fuel changes with temperature as does the volume of the air pocket in the tank..... MPG's change with wind and driving conditions..... Parking/driving on an incline has an effect on the gas gauge.. and a bunch of other things. When the stars all align in the correct postion, maybe you get 22 gallons into the tank, maybe you don't.

I think it's a 22.5 gallon tank.... INCLUDING the built in air pocket... so you will never actually get 22.5 gallons in there.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Parking/driving on an incline has an effect on the gas gauge.. and a bunch of other things. When the stars all align in the correct postion, maybe you get 22 gallons into the tank, maybe you don't.
Got fooled by the gas gauge once going up and down a steep mountain. Couldn't figure out how I was burning so much gas..... When I turned around the needle went back up the other way. I don't remember if climbing made the needle drop or if it was descending that made it drop.

All total it was close to a quarter tank difference.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I try to never go below 1/4 tank as I have read on multiple forums the electric fuel pump is cooled by the fuel. So running down to the last gallon can shorten the life of the fuel pump...just sayin'
This theory only applies when you run it completely dry, else you always have fuel to cool the pump. Old school thinking gets me to think the 'sludge' is always the last part of the fuel tank to ingest into the pump to clog the sock causing issues. This being said - Living in the frigid shithole of Massachusetts I always fill before 1/4 tank to prevent freezing which is probably a myth as well with all the ethanol they substitute with!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
This theory only applies when you run it completely dry, else you always have fuel to cool the pump. Old school thinking gets me to think the 'sludge' is always the last part of the fuel tank to ingest into the pump to clog the sock causing issues. This being said - Living in the frigid shithole of Massachusetts I always fill before 1/4 tank to prevent freezing which is probably a myth as well with all the ethanol they substitute with!
I don’t believe there is sludge in a vehicles gas tank settled at the bottom (except after sitting overnight). Just hitting a couple stops and bumps probably gets everything mixed up in the tank.
Gas stations is where the sludge might build up. If you buy gas from a remote gas station, you might get quite a bit of water and or sludge in your tank. But by the time you find out you’re already in trouble though.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I get nervous when my DTE quits reading in distance and says low fuel. I can tell you I have been right at gas stations when my low fuel light pops on and like clockwork I take 18.5 gallons. I fill the same way each time light the pump click off wait 30 seconds add until it clicks off again and call it good. If I am traveling I let the tank get low if I am just running around I never go below 1/2 tank ...just in case of the zombie attack I want a full tank.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
My education in the Navy has me looking for fuel at a half tank. I never start off road with less than a full tank (and check all fluids), just one more thing I don't need to worry about.

Reactions: Hilldweller

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My education in the Navy has me looking for fuel at a half tank. I never start off road with less than a full tank (and check all fluids), just one more thing I don't need to worry about.
Agreed...but, we do rock crawling excursions where I want the bare minimum fuel in the tank. Neither here nor there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Agreed...but, we do rock crawling excursions where I want the bare minimum fuel in the tank. Neither here nor there.

Please explain the purpose in that.

·
Registered
532 Posts

Not trying to pick a fight here...I have been wheeling for 30+ years and have never heard of that. Help me understand the sense in that?

Gas weighs ~6lbs per gallon. If the tank is 21.5 gallons, then a full tank weighs 129ibs. If I assume "bare minimum fuel in the tank" means a half tank, then we are talking a weight savings of 64.5lbs ( at 1/4 tank it would be 97lbs).

Is that really compressing your suspension that much? If it were me, I'd keep the full tank and jettison (I'm ex-Navy too) some other cargo.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Add me to the list of ?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If I am traveling I let the tank get low if I am just running around I never go below 1/2 tank ...just in case of the zombie attack I want a full tank.
I don’t t let it get below 1/2 tank either, but because of earthquake preparedness. I figure my Rubi can get me around any fallen bridges or damaged roadways. We would only have to go 15 or 20 miles at most to get through the destroyed area.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I don’t t let it get below 1/2 tank either, but because of earthquake preparedness. I figure my Rubi can get me around any fallen bridges or damaged roadways. We would only have to go 15 or 20 miles at most to get through the destroyed area.
actually mine is for similar reasons. Not for earthquake but for other weather related issues we get in my neck of the woods.

Reactions: bill61

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Not trying to pick a fight here...I have been wheeling for 30+ years and have never heard of that. Help me understand the sense in that?

Gas weighs ~6lbs per gallon. If the tank is 21.5 gallons, then a full tank weighs 129ibs. If I assume "bare minimum fuel in the tank" means a half tank, then we are talking a weight savings of 64.5lbs ( at 1/4 tank it would be 97lbs).

Is that really compressing your suspension that much? If it were me, I'd keep the full tank and jettison (I'm ex-Navy too) some other cargo.
Not sure why it's difficult to understand. Weight is weight. It has nothing to do with compressing suspension. Trying to get up and over rocks is tough. The last thing I need is extra weight. We went out today and the total mileage on trail was 8.6. I had 1/4 tank when I started which was more than enough. Topping it off before I went would have been completely pointless.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Not sure why it's difficult to understand. Weight is weight. It has nothing to do with compressing suspension. Trying to get up and over rocks is tough. The last thing I need is extra weight. We went out today and the total mileage on trail was 8.6. I had 1/4 tank when I started which was more than enough. Topping it off before I went would have been completely pointless.

It's not that much weight and it is placed low. Might even help your COG. Aren't there some people or professions out there that actually fill their tires with liquids that add extra weight just for this purpose because it is at the lowest point it can be? I have no personal experience with that per se, but I do have a lot of experience with being top heavy off road, especially in the rocks. I would have loved if each tire had an extra 100 lbs in it on my old ZJ. Thing was tippy as hell.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's not that much weight and it is placed low. Might even help your COG. Aren't there some people or professions out there that actually fill their tires with liquids that add extra weight just for this purpose because it is at the lowest point it can be? I have no personal experience with that per se, but I do have a lot of experience with being top heavy off road, especially in the rocks. I would have loved if each tire had an extra 100 lbs in it on my old ZJ. Thing was tippy as hell.
It weighs more than my wife.

I can tell the difference when I have a full tank.

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
Naval Aviation teaches that the three most useless things in the world are the runway behind you, the altitude above you and the fuel you left on the ground. While the first two don't really apply to vehicles, the last sure does in the fuel in the station that you passed up.

I have been known to drive to a fuel warning light, but it was always in a vehicle that I had extensive experience with it's fuel consumption and a road that I was very familiar with stations and locations.

Reactions: H8SPVMT
1 - 20 of 25 Posts