Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1526 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
I just acquired a 2018 Recon with only 6300 miles on it. The undercarriage looks very good and my aim is to make this rig last an eternity and not ever look like my old 2010JKU that I just parted with. She started her life in NH and the frame was very rusted.

So a question about applying FF yourself. The Recon is stock height and I do not have lifts or jack stands. Can you actually get this job done with the Jeep resting on the tires? I am thin so I can move around under the Jeep but it ain’t easy and I imagine it gets worse when you are spraying. Do you need a respirator when applying?
I spray my son's 06 LJ; it is not lifted and sits on 30s. I wear a respirator and eye protection. I spray the entire underneath, inside the frame rails and inside the body cavities. I have a decent sprayer with a wand attachment that I can feed into the frame and other openings. It makes short work of the process.

I've sprayed my old YJ too; this will be the first year spraying the JKU. Should be pretty easy since it is lifted and sits on 35s.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I just cleaned and FF'ed the frame and undercarriage parts. I sprayed it on and rag wiped it off to get even distribution. The JK looks like new. I will be off road this weekend and will see what it all looks like after washing the mud off.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't have time to read 1,462 posts ...

Q1: Do I need to degrease before applying or is a good pressure wash enough?
Q2: How many 16oz cans do I need for a 2-door Wrangler?

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used 11 cans. Sprayed thick on and in all metal surfaces underbody except exhaust, trans, and transfer case. Wore a respirator and tyvec suit. Lots of atomized vapors. Smell is very bad.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I don't have time to read 1,462 posts ...

Q1: Do I need to degrease before applying or is a good pressure wash enough?
Q2: How many 16oz cans do I need for a 2-door Wrangler?

Thanks!
I end up using about 2-3 to fully soak the insides of the frames and up around the floor boards. I do not coat the outside of frame though. I prefer to gloss black that once a year.

You do not need to degrease.. pressure washer fine. Buy the extension 360 wand tip to get inside the frame rails.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
11 cans, it must have looked like a goopy mess under there???? I usually by 4 cans for my JKU and by the 4th can I am just spraying stuff so I don't wast it. I don't do inside my doors etc. but I hit all the holes I can find in the frame. Even then it starts to get pretty thick. I spray mine once a year usually around November and so far going into the 3rd year the underneath looks great. It is not my daily driver so I don't see a lot of miles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes it was a goopy mess. I was a bit cold and I could not seem to get good coverage from the can with or without the straw without it being thick. I had just a few drips no too bad. After a few days it flowed out very smooth with good coverage everywhere. If I had to do it again I would do it on a hot day and get the compressor gun and a gallon can.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Fortunately my work has a heated garage and a lift. The hardest part is getting the rear passenger leg of the lift in the right position. Not much room there, I plan to spray mine in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any Negatives to the Wool wax???? I.m here in the Northeast and have been spraying my 16 jku with fluid film with good results so far. Thinking if wool wax is thicker I may be able to wash it more often without fear of it coming off like fluid film, anyone with experience with Wool wax have issue with it being washed off???

·
Registered
472 Posts
Any Negatives to the Wool wax???? I.m here in the Northeast and have been spraying my 16 jku with fluid film with good results so far. Thinking if wool wax is thicker I may be able to wash it more often without fear of it coming off like fluid film, anyone with experience with Wool wax have issue with it being washed off???
I've been using Fluid Film Spray cans on my jeep in MN every fall just before the first snow. I also have an unlimited wash pass that I use DAILY. The Fluid Film looks like it washes off but it is actually still there, just enough to work.

I put on Wool Wax a couple weeks ago this time with the pro spray gun / compressor set up.
There is almost no smell, its very faint. There is significantly less over spray but that is probably the difference between rattle cans and a real sprayer. the best part is the Wool Wax doesn't move! I've run it through the wash and it isn't moving. I even put it on my front bumper and there is little to no fling.

You'll be very happy

·
Registered
56 Posts
I traditionally use FF but last time I purchased Wool Wax instead. I like the quart-size bottles which I can spray from- used to make a mess trying to mix the FF in the gallon can and then trying to transfer to the quart bottle. I also liked the vastly reduced odor and I liked how it stays put. The only negative I can see is that since it stays where put, I assume it doesn't creep as well as FF. Maybe the best case is to apply WW where it will get exposed to the weather so it doesn't wash off and use FF inside the frame rails to get the benefit of creeping without fear of washing-off.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Wool Wax was recommended over FF by the vendor I purchased from. They carry both products and have been in business a long time. It was explained that the WW would last longer especially in New England because of it's heavier viscosity. It also has no smell (none I could detect) and it's a natural product. They didn't knock FF and said it was my choice and both products are good. They did say the WW would take longer to creep/spread inside the frame rails but eventually would cover everything inside. Also recommended using the pro spray gun with the 18" attachment for inside the frame.

Only finished spraying it a couple weeks ago but it was a very easy product to apply. My total cost for 1 gallon and the pro sprayer and extension was about 140 dollars. Really a inexpensive product assuming it truly protects the pristine frame on my 2016 JK. I sprayed everything that didn't move under my jeep except the brakes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been using Fluid Film Spray cans on my jeep in MN every fall just before the first snow. I also have an unlimited wash pass that I use DAILY. The Fluid Film looks like it washes off but it is actually still there, just enough to work.

I put on Wool Wax a couple weeks ago this time with the pro spray gun / compressor set up.
There is almost no smell, its very faint. There is significantly less over spray but that is probably the difference between rattle cans and a real sprayer. the best part is the Wool Wax doesn't move! I've run it through the wash and it isn't moving. I even put it on my front bumper and there is little to no fling.

You'll be very happy

Thanks! I always worry when going through the wash to avoid removing the fluid film. But to hear that you did it daily and it was stil there is some comfort. After everyone input I think I will try woolwax this year and see how it goes.. hopefully it will hold through the washes!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I traditionally use FF but last time I purchased Wool Wax instead. I like the quart-size bottles which I can spray from- used to make a mess trying to mix the FF in the gallon can and then trying to transfer to the quart bottle. I also liked the vastly reduced odor and I liked how it stays put. The only negative I can see is that since it stays where put, I assume it doesn't creep as well as FF. Maybe the best case is to apply WW where it will get exposed to the weather so it doesn't wash off and use FF inside the frame rails to get the benefit of creeping without fear of washing-off.
I was thinking the same thing about the creep but didnt mention it. I still have a few spray cans of FF and if there is a spot I cant get into but the creep would get it, then I used the FF cans. The WW really stays put. For instance, I have a 10A/Hard rock bumper. I sprayed all the decorative bolts and the pint the brush guard mounts hoping the WW would creep in. The WW doesn't seem to be going anywhere even after several trips on the highways and a wash

Thanks! I always worry when going through the wash to avoid removing the fluid film. But to hear that you did it daily and it was stil there is some comfort. After everyone input I think I will try woolwax this year and see how it goes.. hopefully it will hold through the washes!
It'll hold. Even if it looks to be washed off the outer frame below the doors, if you get down there with a rag and give it a hard wipe you'll find that you still have a thin film doing its job. Besides if that exposed part is getting washed regularly, That's not what you need to be worried about. Its the hidden components that get the winter salt pooling and sitting there that needs the real attention. The spots washes don't get.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
I hear you about transferring FF to the spray bottles; it is a PITA and very messy. The first year that plastic gallon lid worked, but I'm unable to get it on the new gallon can.

I'm okay with the FF smell and I appreciate the way it creeps. I just opened a new gallon this year and it will last me through next year's application. I'm two years from moving to WW, but I may try the approach you layout: WW to the exposed areas and FF inside the frame and various hat channels/body cavities.

I may end up spraying my Super duty frame to speed up the consumption of my FF stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in rust belt western PA, bought my 2006 LJ from Texas 6 months ago. Want to keep it nice as possible.

Found a Fluid Film shop east of Pittsburgh and had it done yesterday in anticipation of Jeep's first winter. Total time just under 1.5 hours, under $200. Laid it on thicc too. Very pleased.

FYI, I rent an apartment, don't have a garage, no jack stands, no yard, and see no warm weekends left to go to the park with a few $10 cans. That said, in the future I want to lift Jeep in my own driveway, and apply coating myself! It was a lot of money, but given my circumstance, for under $200 I'm thrilled knowing it's guarded against road salt/brine. That's priceless to me.

Here's a few photos of their work. It's tacky, doesn't drip, fairly clear, hint of straw color. I used a can over the summer and quite like the scent now. It's sort of a sweet yet tart pasture smell. A day later, smell is nearly gone. Till next coat, sweet Fluid Film. I hardly smelled ye.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I live in rust belt western PA, bought my 2006 LJ from Texas 6 months ago. Want to keep it nice as possible.

Found a Fluid Film shop east of Pittsburgh and had it done yesterday in anticipation of Jeep's first winter. Total time just under 1.5 hours, under $200. Laid it on thicc too. Very pleased.

FYI, I rent an apartment, don't have a garage, no jack stands, no yard, and see no warm weekends left to go to the park with a few $10 cans. That said, in the future I want to lift Jeep in my own driveway, and apply coating myself! It was a lot of money, but given my circumstance, for under $200 I'm thrilled knowing it's guarded against road salt/brine. That's priceless to me.

Here's a few photos of their work. It's tacky, doesn't drip, fairly clear, hint of straw color. I used a can over the summer and quite like the scent now. It's sort of a sweet yet tart pasture smell. A day later, smell is nearly gone. Till next coat, sweet Fluid Film. I hardly smelled ye.
I can smell it from Mass!

Great deal IMO!!! They did an outstanding job, with that amount of protection would have been at least half of that in cost. Nicely done!!! I would be tempted to go that route if I didn't have 2 Jeeps I cant afford!!

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts

My reply is a bit 'off-topic' seeing how this is a JK forum, but if you have not yet drilled holes in the frame to allow water to drain, I recommend you do. I've included some shots of where to drill holes to best avoid the notorious frame rot...

1461 - 1480 of 1526 Posts