406 Posts
Use Sharkhide on my shocks.....I am thinking i might use it instead of FF

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sharkhide is what they use on pontoon boat tubes.

It's durable as hell, you have to remove it with enamel reducer. On larger surfaces (like toons) it does have the same downside as paint if something breaks it you corrode on the underside. But for small stuff like shocks should work fine.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Products like Sharkhide and Nyalic are essentially paints. They require proper surface preparation to work, and they can be chipped if you are not careful. They do not penetrate and are not 'self-healing' like FF, which creeps seemingly forever. I still have FF slowly creeping out of holes in my frame, and I applied it over 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I sprayed black woolwax on my rear axle and diff in early december and a mild snow winter we had so not too much salt exposure for the jeep this year....

In preparation for a regear happening anytime I sprayed down the rear axle and hubs with engine degreaser and let it sit for 20 minutes, pressure blasted it off getting point blank.... Still had strong water repelling residue. Warm Soap and water with scrub brush got most of it...

Great stuff. I think I like the woolwax better because it's black. I'd hate to have to paint something afterwards though. It's absolutely great for the inside of my steel bumper... Great stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am new to the forum, and this is my first post outside of my welcome post. I just fluid filmed the new to new 2016 JK I bought. Did the frame inside and out, and underneath the body. I am coming from a 31 year old 88 4Runner that was daily driven its entire life. It had eighteen northeast winters on the road, complete with brine and road salt. It was was fluid filmed every fall in preparation for the winter. Used a cheap electric paint gun with uncut fluid film from a gallon on the outside, and about two aerosol cans with the little 360 degree wand attachment to snake through the frame (did the inside of frame once every three years or so).

I sold the 4Runner with a perfect frame, and I mean perfect. This stuff is worth the money and is why I am doing it with my new Wrangler. It is from the south and I intend to keep the frame cherry. Those hesitant to fluid film their Jeep because it makes it greasy should get over it - because it is worth it.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Anyone try Black wool wax gallon and brush method? I really like this product in the spray version. I'm thinking of getting a gallon and brushing it on the outsides of everything under my Jeep. Love the Black.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another trick to keep the salt, mud, sand from gathering up inside your frame is to plug the holes. Mud racers sometimes fill their frames with expanding foam (great stuff) but I wouldn't go that far. I use Black Fork Tool frame plugs on my JK because I use to play hard in the mud and snowy roads with my TJ and learned the hard way how frame full of mud and salt dies. Here is where I got mine: https://www.blackforktool.com/product/jeep-jk-frame-complete-plug-six-6-piece-kit-2007-2017-/1?cp=true&sa=true&sbp=false&q=false

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Anyone try Black wool wax gallon and brush method? I really like this product in the spray version. I'm thinking of getting a gallon and brushing it on the outsides of everything under my Jeep. Love the Black.
I ended up ordering the 'pro' sprayer.

I guess they made modifications to the internals to allow better flow from the super viscous woolwax. I got the natural color for the floor pan and stuff, and the black for the axles, and maybe frames.....

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just a quick update on my results from using Wool-Wax this winter. Did several projects that required getting under the jeep like removing the rear bumper. I can 100% ATTEST that stuff was still completely coating the frame and anywhere I sprayed it. Had that CRAP all over me while working under there and touching anything! I had to use brake cleaner to get it off anywhere it was sprayed. No way you can wipe it off using just a rag or cloth!

This was after driving it the entire winter with salt/sand on the roads plus many auto car washes. So does it work? Yea it worked really well but it's sure messy when you have deal with it under the jeep. Nothing was rusted...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am coming from a 31 year old 88 4Runner that was daily driven its entire life. It had eighteen northeast winters on the road, complete with brine and road salt. It was was fluid filmed every fall in preparation for the winter. Used a cheap electric paint gun with uncut fluid film from a gallon on the outside, and about two aerosol cans with the little 360 degree wand attachment to snake through the frame (did the inside of frame once every three years or so).

I sold the 4Runner with a perfect frame, and I mean perfect. This stuff is worth the money and is why I am doing it with my new Wrangler. It is from the south and I intend to keep the frame cherry. Those hesitant to fluid film their Jeep because it makes it greasy should get over it - because it is worth it.
Frame rust seems to be a real problem with 4Runners, so that's quite an endorsement for Fluid Film!

4Runner frame rust

·
Registered
26 Posts
Frame rust seems to be a real problem with 4Runners, so that's quite an endorsement for Fluid Film!

4Runner frame rust
Yes - definitely. It worked really well. I used an electric paint gun and sprayed it on straight (not cut) each fall, and did two aerosol cans snaked through the frame with the aerosol 360 degree kit once or twice in its life (as it stays in there forever). It was worth every penny.

·
Banned
5 Posts
POR 15 seems like a good option but if the rust isn’t too bad I’d recommend Fluid Film. It doesn’t harden so it actually keeps salt and dirt off your frame....

Google Wrangler Forum + Fluid Film there’s an ‘end all Fluid film thread’ that’s very convincing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I did mine a few weeks ago for a second time with a cheap Harbor Freight Krause and Becker spray gun after using cans the first time. Have a 1 gallon container of it and just scooped it into the sprayer. Ambient temps were 85+. The sprayer comes with a flexible attachment that goes decently into various frame holes (although a narrower/longer one would be a lot better) and helps with keeping the gun upright so it sprays consistently. I actually didn't think it would spray as well as it did b/c it was still rather gelatinous -- was planning on making it almost liquid with a heat gun but that wasn't necessary. Keeping the gun full of the stuff helped. I think I had the whole underside of my JKU done in about 45 min. Link to the spray gun I used: 5 GPH Electric Paint Spray Gun

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
When I spray mine it is usually late October/early November. I put the can in the house over a heat vent over night. It is usually quite runny at this point. I'm the odd person who likes the smell. I do plan to try out WoolWax once my current gallon of fluid film is gone, or at least use a combo of the two fluid film inside the frame and wool wax on the outside stuff.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Fluid Film is alot thinner than Woolwax. I believe it will creep more at lower temperatures. Better for hard to reach areas... Woolwax is thicker, more visable than FF. Woolwax offers a black, which is phenomenal. Literally encases everything in a glossy black self-healing wax.

·
Registered
458 Posts
So the Woolwax black will do just as good of a job and won't look horrible on the jeep? Mine looks like it has an infection underneath from ff. But it sure did work great over winter and creeped all over.

1501 - 1520 of 1526 Posts