Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1561 - 1580 of 1615 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tried it out today. Locally it was $11 a can

It seems thicker then fluid file, does not seem like its going to creep as much it is definitely black and gets all over.

Bought 4 cans i think it will be plenty.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
I do my 15’ and wife’s 16’ using the bulk w sprayer/ compressor method. I did cans 1st time. I get a chuckle when I read that 3-4 cans was plenty for some users. I used 1 can per frame rail and at least 1 more for all the cross members the 1st time around. I guess I’ll do frame rails and cross members tomorrow. I’ve got a gallon of FF in the garage and plenty of free time.
BTW I used approx a quart to coat the exterior of all the cross members, skids and frame rails as well as any exposed floor boards, axle tubes and suspension components this time around.
How much FF does it take for you to complete the job w interior or rails?
I also only coat once each Fall as the heat here in the Summer keeps the FF flowing and rain/ auto car washes keep the crud down. Never power wash on my own before recoats.
I'm identifying with this!
I don't get how people think they got the job done with four cans. My first ever application on my two door took six cans and they were bone dry when I was finished.
On reapplications I spray about a quart and a half of WoolWax plus a can Fluid Film for the inside the rails. I personally think the rattle can/tube is easier than the gun/wand for inside the rails and in the tight spots
I also never wash before recoat

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm identifying with this!
I don't get how people think they got the job done with four cans. My first ever application on my two door took six cans and they were bone dry when I was finished.
On reapplications I spray about a quart and a half of WoolWax plus a can Fluid Film for the inside the rails. I personally think the rattle can/tube is easier than the gun/wand for inside the rails and in the tight spots
I also never wash before recoat
I think i could have done it with 3 cans off black woolwax. This stuff is thick. It just depends on how much you want to put on.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think i could have done it with 3 cans off black woolwax. This stuff is thick. It just depends on how much you want to put on.
I put it on fairly thick and I got EVERYWHERE on my first application
Inside the doors, inside the tailgate, inside by the wiper motor area, inside the fender, inside the rockers up in the rear quarter panel, and on and on. There are so many places to spray if you really look. 3-4 cans wont do the job adequately enough for my liking. That's not to say a 3-4 can job wont satisfy others, just not me

·
Registered
786 Posts
I put it on fairly thick and I got EVERYWHERE on my first application
Inside the doors, inside the tailgate, inside by the wiper motor area, inside the fender, inside the rockers up in the rear quarter panel, and on and on. There are so many places to spray if you really look. 3-4 cans wont do the job adequately enough for my liking. That's not to say a 3-4 can job wont satisfy others, just not me
agreed, the internet will never agree! I like your wording, and I do think I used 6 cans of fluid film last year, this year I calmed it down a bit. AND HAVE A BLACK mess all over my sweatshirt instead of a fluid film smell.

·
Registered
623 Posts
agreed, the internet will never agree! I like your wording, and I do think I used 6 cans of fluid film last year, this year I calmed it down a bit. AND HAVE A BLACK mess all over my sweatshirt instead of a fluid film smell.
If I were to use cans still, I would probably be spraying about three and a half. Once you coat these hidden spaces you wont need to revisit them for quite awhile. I had my rear bumper off and when I looked inside I was shocked at the amount of Fluid Flim that was caked in there. Clearly, it does a good job of staying put

·
Registered
30 Posts
After having the body shop weld patches on the floor boards to keep the TJ from becoming a Flintstones vehicle, I have become very interested in the Fluid Film vs Wool Wax debate.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I'm one that's had great luck with FF so I haven't tried Wool Wax. For me if it's not broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
After having the body shop weld patches on the floor boards to keep the TJ from becoming a Flintstones vehicle, I have become very interested in the Fluid Film vs Wool Wax debate.
I don't this their is any debate. Its nearly the exact same thing made by the same mfg. FF has a strong odor and is a little thinner. WW has less odor and is thicker. I say use FF in the hard to reach spaces where you need it to creep and wont be exposed to heavy amounts of wind, spray WW everywhere else

·
Registered
858 Posts
Just to inform any new potential users of Fluid Film, it does have a smell to it (not obnoxious to me) but the smell goes away after a few days, it doesn't keep that smell forever.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So I applied a good layer of FF about 3 weeks ago. This is my first time using it, so I'm not sure what to expect. Anyways, we have had a good amount of rain over the last week and I've noticed that it looks as though a majority of it is gone. Is this normal behavior for the product? If I run my finger across the treated areas it still has a thin layer, but I guess I expected it to stay thicker.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yeah, after some driving the thick stuff will creep/fling away and leave a thin layer. The thin layer is all you need, all its gotta do is stop oxygen from reaching the steel. Mine has three years of build up on it, FF,WW and dirt. The frame looks to just be a dirty crusty mess but if you wipe it with your finger there is a thin layer and frame that looks like it just left the factory underneath.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I do mine once a year, usually just before the snow falls. I did an oil change last week and there was still a coating on the bottom of my Jeep. Like others have said, not as thick but it is still there and still working. I don't put near the miles on mine that others do. A DD that is in a climate with lots of rain could use multiple applications a year. Once a year works in my situation.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The black woolwax looks great on the frame.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Bought my current wrangler in March and now getting it ready for wisconsin winters....New Jersey winters weren't nice to it either. So last weekend I put corroseal rust converter on my entire undercarriage to convert any rust and make it all black again. This weekend I busted out the fluid film and coated everything. Man its beautiful all black and shiny! I used aerosol cans and have the 360 nozzle tube....man you can go through a can fast using that thing! I also did my truck as well.

Attachments

Reactions: Cobra5.4

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bought my current wrangler in March and now getting it ready for wisconsin winters....New Jersey winters weren't nice to it either. So last weekend I put corroseal rust converter on my entire undercarriage to convert any rust and make it all black again. This weekend I busted out the fluid film and coated everything. Man its beautiful all black and shiny! I used aerosol cans and have the 360 nozzle tube....man you can go through a can fast using that thing! I also did my truck as well.
Did you do this?

·
Registered
663 Posts
How do you guys apply it? I did it once with spray cans and crawling underneath but not sure how effective it was as the stuff shoots out kind of thick and awkward and not so much aerosol fan spray like. Is a paint sprayer worth it, I don't have one but want to apply it the best way, easiest way, with most coverage.

A local place wants $250 to do the undercarriage.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just sprayed with aerosol cans probably used 4 or 5 cans one would run out and grab another and keeps spraying. I started off with the 360-degree hose that goes on the can to do everything inside the frame and such. I did it laying on the ground on my gravel driveway. Paint sprayer would work nice and they sell a kit that comes with the sprayer for it and everything but I didn't get that crazy

Reactions: Artdnj

·
Registered
663 Posts
The first time I did it I sprayed and left it at that but it seems to spray out in more of a line than fan pattern. Do you rub it in at all or spread it around or just spray and leave it?

1561 - 1580 of 1615 Posts