Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1581 - 1600 of 1615 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
The first time I did it I sprayed and left it at that but it seems to spray out in more of a line than fan pattern. Do you rub it in at all or spread it around or just spray and leave it?
Spray it all around and on everything but brakes and exhaust... no need to wipe it after

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
If you have access to a lift that is the way to go. I can't imagine laying underneath my jeep applying this stuff. Even on the lift the floor has a good coating of FF on it when I am done, I assume you would have it all over you laying underneath and doing it.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I put the front on ramps and the rear on jack stands w a big plastic sheet under it all on the floor. I also drape a plastic sheet over the entire Jeep so any mist settles on the plastic above and below. I then put in my white Tyvek suit and crawl on under w my air powered sprayer and spray away.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Are you from the northeast area? I am looking for someone who can do this
No I am from Wisconsin. Its not that hard. I have a moving blanket I got from harbor freight. Put on some dirty work clothes and laid on the blanket in my gravel driveway and sprayed away. Even with the 360 nozzle in all the holes it took about an hour.

Reactions: Artdnj

·
Registered
187 Posts
No I am from Wisconsin. Its not that hard. I have a moving blanket I got from harbor freight. Put on some dirty work clothes and laid on the blanket in my gravel driveway and sprayed away. Even with the 360 nozzle in all the holes it took about an hour.
Its lifting the jeep i cant do.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Its lifting the jeep i cant do.
As I said I laid on the ground on my gravel driveway....jeep on all 4 tires...thought about driving it up on ramps but didn't. I did my checy avalanche the same way the same day. I have access to a lift but I didn't want to get the stuff all over the shop and floor.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As I said I laid on the ground on my gravel driveway....jeep on all 4 tires...thought about driving it up on ramps but didn't. I did my checy avalanche the same way the same day. I have access to a lift but I didn't want to get the stuff all over the shop and floor.
Got ya. Hey thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely be doing this.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just the can nozzle, no air sprayer? How many cans?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just the can nozzle, no air sprayer? How many cans?
Just the can nozzle. I did buy a 360 degree sprayer hose for the cans on amazon. I used like 10 cans but I did my jeep and my 2500 avalanche at the same time. Didn't keep track of how much on which.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You'll see a variable in how much it takes. I usually by 3 of the cans and by the time I am finishing the third one I am going over stuff again just to not waste it. I have seen people say they use 7 or 8 cans. I honestly don't see how but some say they don't see how I do mine with 3-4 cans. I get a good layer on everything underneath and also stick the nozzle in all the openings I find on the frame and give them a squirt as well.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
You'll see a variable in how much it takes. I usually by 3 of the cans and by the time I am finishing the third one I am going over stuff again just to not waste it. I have seen people say they use 7 or 8 cans. I honestly don't see how but some say they don't see how I do mine with 3-4 cans. I get a good layer on everything underneath and also stick the nozzle in all the openings I find on the frame and give them a squirt as well.
I can use more than 3 cans easily as I coat the inside of the frame completely as well as the interior of all cross members and rockers.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I use probably 1.5 quarts on my Jeep, same for my son's LJ. My truck is a bit less than 1 qt since the body is aluminum and I don't spray it very heavy at all.

Frames, inside and out, get pretty heavy coat. Now after completing all three vehicles, I have to mop my garage floor to get rid if the slippery layer. lol

·
Registered
498 Posts
Right after I got my Jeep I purchased a gallon of Fluid Film and brushed it on everything underneath, once in the spring and once before winter for about 3 years. Holy hell does it get messy lmao so I changed to just once a year sometimes with a touch up here and there. The spray cans are easy (did inside the frame rails with the wand attachment) but I think the thicker stuff when brushed on holds up a little better.

I'm near the beach and I've had so so results. I always wash the undercarriage whenever I've encountered saltwater. Before I reapply FF I would do a good washing and wire brush any bad spots and hit them with Rustoleum. The frame mostly looks great, the diffs look good, the track bars are ok I guess but my control arms are rusting and peeling. The front C's are pretty bad, hard to keep it on them. The rear shock mounts are a nightmare, I can not keep this stuff on there at all and they're rusted pretty bad. Seems like it just washes off in that spot, I need to find something else to address those spots.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The rear shock mounts are a nightmare, I can not keep this stuff on there at all and they're rusted pretty bad. Seems like it just washes off in that spot, I need to find something else to address those spots.
Take a look at Cosmoline Black or Waxoyl Hardwax.

Reactions: JKSurf

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Yesterday was my annual fluid film day. I still sing the praises of this stuff to anyone I can. I bought my Jeep in November of 17 and applied the first application right away. Now three years later and everything underneath still looks great. I live in Indiana so salt is definitely an issue. I snapped a quick pic with my phone yesterday when I was spraying it. I have seen driveshafts on the dealer lots with a good coat of rust on them, 3 years later and mine looks good as new. Mine is not a daily driver so I don't apply twice a year, just once before the snow starts to fly.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Mine both get sprayed each Fall.
My ‘15 must has sat in a dealer’s lot for a bit because even on initial pick up the driveshaft had a nice layer of surface rush.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just reapplied on my 13. I lay down a plastic drop cloth that gets thrown away after use, and put on one of those painter's overall suits and go to town spraying. I use 3 to 4 cans and apply once a year.

Has anyone ever sprayed their emergency brake? I was changing brake pads and noticed it was massively rusted. I know you shouldn't spray your brakes, but what about the emergency brake?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Has anyone ever sprayed their emergency brake? I was changing brake pads and noticed it was massively rusted. I know you shouldn't spray your brakes, but what about the emergency brake?
You obviously don't want to spray any part of the e-brake shoes, since the FF will creep and end up contaminating the friction material. I suppose you could spray the backing plate, but I would still be concerned about creeping and eventual contamination. In this case, I would clean off the rust as best you can, then use something like brush-on oil-based RustOleum paint.

Reactions: 95strat
1581 - 1600 of 1615 Posts