Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1601 - 1615 of 1615 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
You obviously don't want to spray any part of the e-brake shoes, since the FF will creep and end up contaminating the friction material. I suppose you could spray the backing plate, but I would still be concerned about creeping and eventual contamination. In this case, I would clean off the rust as best you can, then use something like brush-on oil-based RustOleum paint.
Yeah, good call on the creep. I forgot how FF creeps. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
'01 TJ Sport and '17 JKU Rubicon
419 Posts
I posted in another thread about this but looking for some Fluid Film help.
I have an '01 TJ that I bought here in southern california about a year ago. I mildly inspected the under carriage when I purchased, including frame and body, but I wasn't too worried because it was a California jeep.
Now I am moving to the north east and I'd like to Fluid Film it before I go.
I got under the under carriage yesterday and realized most of my underbody is coated with some kind of rubber coating, I think sound deadener but don't know for sure.
Does anyone know if Fluid Film can be sprayed over this?
What's my best course of action?

Not seeing any signs of rust poking through the rubber stuff.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I think somewhere in here I read that you should avoid spraying the rubber parts of the undercarriage to avoid the FF damaging it. Not sure how but I would try to confirm what is under your jeep. If it is rubber based FF might not be the best answer.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I think somewhere in here I read that you should avoid spraying the rubber parts of the undercarriage to avoid the FF damaging it. Not sure how but I would try to confirm what is under your jeep. If it is rubber based FF might not be the best answer.
I sprayed a small area of it with FF and left for a day to see what happens. It didn’t seem to soften it. But not sure if it would take longer than that to really dig in.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I think you will be fine. If you have an undercoat that is removed by FF it is probably not the best quality undercoat anyway.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Now I am moving to the north east and I'd like to Fluid Film it before I go.
Moving to the north east? Yes spraying rust proofing oil under your TJ; inside the frame and inside all the nook and crannies is essential.

The under body "rubber coating" that you have under your TJ was probably applied after the TJ left the factory. I would apply rust proofing oil on top of it, and let the rust proofing oil creep under the coating, where it can.

:)

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Moving to the north east? Yes spraying rust proofing oil under your TJ; inside the frame and inside all the nook and crannies is essential.

The under body "rubber coating" that you have under your TJ was probably applied after the TJ left the factory. I would apply rust proofing oil on top of it, and let the rust proofing oil creep under the coating, where it can.

Yes I am moving to the northeast!

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Just like flyin-lowe said too, if fluid film is removing the undercoating then surely chemicals and salt in the winter will remove it as well and it's probably a crappy coating. So it seems better to at least cover it with fluid film and let some of the fluid film creep behind it where it can.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was wondering if people on here that use fluid film have a build up of road grime in certain areas and if it is something to worry about?

I crawled under my jk yesterday to see how things were looking after about 6 months after my yearly application of fluid film on my Jeep. I fluid film every year and wash the underside of my Jeep occasionally.

I noticed that the area in front of my rear tires has a good collection of road grime from my fluid film application, it’s almost like a thick sludge and is black in color. Is this something to worry about or just keep coating over each year?

I don’t see any evidence of rust, just the sludge. I’ll try to post a picture up tomorrow. I know fluid film is a penetrant and it’s probably not a big issue, just reaching out for thoughts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It will never rust there. It may not be pretty but who cares? If a day comes where your zjeep is going to be a museum piece then you can power wash the grime off. That sludgy build up is keeping your frame like new.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was wondering if people on here that use fluid film have a build up of road grime in certain areas and if it is something to worry about?

I crawled under my jk yesterday to see how things were looking after about 6 months after my yearly application of fluid film on my Jeep. I fluid film every year and wash the underside of my Jeep occasionally.

I noticed that the area in front of my rear tires has a good collection of road grime from my fluid film application, it’s almost like a thick sludge and is black in color. Is this something to worry about or just keep coating over each year?

I don’t see any evidence of rust, just the sludge. I’ll try to post a picture up tomorrow. I know fluid film is a penetrant and it’s probably not a big issue, just reaching out for thoughts.
Don't worry about it and don't clean it. If you would like a feeling of self assurance, put on a glove and rub some off. You'll see its been doing exactly what its meant to do

·
Registered
152 Posts
The rear tires in this area seem to throw all the road grime up in that area, it all dreams to be still wet or most though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Do these photos look about in line with other peoples use of fluid film?
I use a product that has a higher viscosity than fluid film. Road grim sticks to it and make it look black, but under the surface the product is in its original amber color.

Don't be shy with your fluid film application; Apply a lot of it.

1601 - 1615 of 1615 Posts