Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the warm weather this weekend in southern Indiana, I took the opportunity to wash my 2003 Wrangler Sport.

That's when I discovered this:

It's smaller than a dime, but obviously a problem.

So, what should I do?

Please know I am not a "garage man," so I don't have a lot of experience in mechanics. In other words, keep it simple, please. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
just a guess, but front passenger fender.

best bet is to wire brush as much of the rust off as possible, top and bottom, then hit it with a good rust converter, and then coat it with the color of your choice. black is common as it blends well with just about everything and is a hell of a lot cheaper than going to a spray shop to match colors

·
Registered
143 Posts
I replaced my driver side fender back in October. It's not very hard at all. The fender cost me 90$ for a brand new one on Amazon. So if your looking to completely get rid of the rust for only 90$ and about 2 hours you could have a brand new fender :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced my driver side fender back in October. It's not very hard at all. The fender cost me 90$ for a brand new one on Amazon. So if your looking to completely get rid of the rust for only 90$ and about 2 hours you could have a brand new fender :)
Was this the one you found? What did you do in terms of painting it? And am I going to need a left side, to paint as well?

·
Registered
437 Posts
A good body shop can cut it out, replace it with new
Metal and color match the paint. They can even match for paint fading. Don't let it go, or it will get worse. That spot rusts from the bottom up and will grow into a hole quickly.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Metal and color match the paint. They can even match for paint fading. Don't let it go, or it will get worse. That spot rusts from the bottom up and will grow into a hole quickly.
Any idea what they would charge

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That might be a simpler option... but a new fender would be less likely to have another pop-up of rust, I would assume.

My Jeep is 13 years old, and coming up on 120k. Runs great, daily driver, etc... so cost will be a consideration.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Jarata, no real guess on the cost, I had it done when I had the entire jeep repainted so I could not give you a break down. Sorry.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's always worse than what you can see. It would probably cost less for you to get a new one and have it painted than for a body shop to fix that. You can even get color matched rattle can and prime and paint the new one yourself and get pretty good results.

If you do get a new one, take some silicone and seal up the underside of the fender where water and crap gets trapped in there and you won't have anymore problems.

Lastly, go Hoosiers.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to a local body shop yesterday - they have done repair work for my family over the years.

To replace the fender with a factory one, match paint, etc. - around $2,000.

Uhhh, no.

So now I may look at the pre-painted... but I'm concerned the color will be off from the Jeep and stand out worse than having the blemish currently on the fender.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went to a local body shop yesterday - they have done repair work for my family over the years.

Uhhh, no.

So now I may look at the pre-painted... but I'm concerned the color will be off from the Jeep and stand out worse than having the blemish currently on the fender.
I'm sorry but that price is insane, you could paint a whole jeep for $2,000.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agreed. That seemed ridiculous to me

They did say that color matching the paint would be key - that if the color varied slightly from the fender to the passenger door, it would be obvious.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Uhhh, no.

That is an extremely high price. You could become a DIY and buy a nice air compressor and paint gun for less that the price they gave you. You own a Jeep so you may need to repaint another part of it again in the future. Just saying.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
2K??? I just replaced my red hood and had a shop paint the hood,which is bigger than a fender and they charged me 600.00 to paint it.So less than 1000.00 for paint and the hood.How are they wanting 2K ????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts