Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first experience with the jeep wave was a guy waving (which I returned), him then turning around and following me to the gas station. I was a little unnerved by it.
I saw tiny write this and thought it should have its own thread. I remember my first time with 'the wave' it was June 10, 2000 I had just bought my first YJ and as I was driving it home the first time a TJ was coming the other way and waved to me, so I waved back, not really knowing how it all worked. But now I know there was always a reason I've wanted a Wrangler since I was 10.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Yeah, I remember. I said to another Jeeper, "You Know, we should start waving to all Jeeps we see and see if it catches on".

And so it began.

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
I think it was the confused look on my face that made him follow me. Amerijeep, dude, you weren't supposed to use your middle finger, everyone's doing it now.

(I'm sorry, I can't help but think the title of this thread sounds like something that can be cleared up with a shot.)

·
Administrator
12,604 Posts
1st time I had no clue why some guy in a CJ was waving at me.. I kept thinking.. who the heck is that, does he know me? Then it happened again further down the street, i caught on... I remember reading that paper while living in Altanta a few year back, about how some person was talking about the wave saying," there is no way all the jeep wrangler owners can know each other here..." I got a good laugh out of it.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I was educated by the salesman at the dealership....a Wrangler owner himself

I drove out of the parking lot smiling & waving

I admit....waves while in the CJ are sweeter :p

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Yeah, I remember. I said to another Jeeper, "You Know, we should start waving to all Jeeps we see and see if it catches on".

And so it began.
Now Amerijeep, I thought you were still driving Contestoga wagons when you started the wave?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was educated by the salesman at the dealership....a Wrangler owner himself

I drove out of the parking lot smiling & waving

I admit....waves while in the CJ are taste sweeter :p
x2. I got my first wave on the test drive and the salesman said it's rude not to wave back. So I wave and am happy with myself. Even when the JKs don't wave back. :D

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I got my first JK wave today. It was pretty cool. Every Jeep I passed today waved and that is unusual. Also, I never saw another YJ today. That is a little odd....

·
Registered
109 Posts
I rarely see YJs, and there's already 5 or more JKs in the area. None of which ever wave to me. Maybe I'm just no cool enough.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah I have noticed a bunch of new jeeps with really "young" drivers in them and they don't wave. I wander if they just don't know about the wave or think that their newer jeep is better than my YJ?

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Skitzic, you're cool, they're not.
jj33002, I see a lot of really young drivers in really new jeeps, too. They just don't seem to have a clue. I give them the benefit of the doubt and wave anyway.

My firsy jeep wave was years ago, from an old guy in an old CJ. I waved back just to be polite. Then my husband explained it to me. Been waving since.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Skitzic, you're cool, they're not.
jj33002, I see a lot of really young drivers in really new jeeps, too. They just don't seem to have a clue. I give them the benefit of the doubt and wave anyway.

My firsy jeep wave was years ago, from an old guy in an old CJ. I waved back just to be polite. Then my husband explained it to me. Been waving since.
I WAVE :D

its the other young guys i see that don't wave. with the exception of one sweet jeep i see with a fairly young driver (20's)

i think hes on 35's or 37's. i used to see him every day on the way to school so i'd give him a big wave and he knew it was me every time.

i think my first wave was a couple days after i had just gotten my TJ. i already knew about the wave so i waved first and they waved back :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont’t remember the first time, but I do notice there are different variations of the wave.
Some just give a two finger, hand still on wheel. Some are, arm out the window rain or snow.
You can really tell if someone is just driving a Jeep or if the Jeep is driving them. The wave should
be put in the owners manual between wipers and headlights.
I have to admit though, I get a lot more waves driving my 3B than I do in my TJ.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My story of the wave is rated R, but I only confirmed what the wave was about once I found you guys here.
:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
I dont’t remember the first time, but I do notice there are different variations of the wave.
Some just give a two finger, hand still on wheel. Some are, arm out the window rain or snow.
You can really tell if someone is just driving a Jeep or if the Jeep is driving them. The wave should
be put in the owners manual between wipers and headlights.
I have to admit though, I get a lot more waves driving my 3B than I do in my TJ.
There's a guy I see everyday on the way to work with his arm out the window. He raises two fingers and sticks his tongue out...and he never wears a jacket. It's always a bare arm, even in freezing rain. Makes me cold just thinking about it...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wave at every Jeep I see. So far I have nmot received a wave back in the urban areas but everyone in the rural areas wave Jeep or not. Maybe all the transplants to Colorado think there is ice on the roads 24/7 365.

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
I saw three, yes three YJs yesterday and they all waved. How silly is it that something like that makes my day? Resotration of tradition I guess.

Or could be that my company kept saying "do you know them?"

and my answer... "Yes, all Jeep owners know each other."

·
WF Graphics Bitch
544 Posts
When I first got my Jeep in nov. 2002 I was 17. I had no clue what the Jeep wave was. That lasted all of two jeeps waving at me before I got it, I loved the idea, and now I wave all the time and rarely ever miss one.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I wave at every Jeep I see. So far I have nmot received a wave back in the urban areas but everyone in the rural areas wave Jeep or not. Maybe all the transplants to Colorado think there is ice on the roads 24/7 365.
I noticed that too Griz, that a lot of people in CO, don't wave. They kind of look at you, like, whats your problem?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Rarely do i get waves back from TJ's and JK's around here...... On my trip up to VT my arm was so tierd of waving at the end of that day...

My first wave was in my 1987 YJ, first jeep that start it all from their....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts