Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new JKU sport on Saturday. Started ordering small stuff on Saturday night. It's funny...I've been following the forums for a while before even buying the jeep and heard numerous people complain about different things and though to myself "well maybe they are just being too picky". But by the end of the first day with the jeep and taking a short trip with my wife and kids I see exactly what people were talking about.
Three examples:
1) After about 20 minutes in the back seat my two daughters (9+11) were already complaining about how "upright" the rear seat was. Their words, not mine. Ok, on to the internet and order the recline kit.:facepalm:

2) As we were starting to head home and it was dusk, my wife kept asking me if the headlights were on. Yes they were but I can see why she kept asking. I'm going to have to do something soon.

3) Me and the wife had test drove the same model a few days prior (wrong color) and both agreed it rode real nice for a jeep. But when I picked up our new one on Saturday it rode like a buckboard. I got home and checked the tire pressure when I got home and let it cool and they were all at 44 lbs. I let the tire pressure down to 35 lbs. and it was like night and day. Much better. I wouldn't have thought It would make that much of a difference.

Well, let the modding begin.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I agree the back seat is very upright but the recline kit worked great. The only issue my wife had (she is short) it took her feet off the floor a little.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no name yet

I haven't come up with a good name yet, I'm just referring to it as the great pumpkin right now because that's what my co-workers are calling it due to the orange color.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So much stuff I want to do as money allows. I would like to add a leveling kit, wheels, bumpers, trailer hitch, and the list goes on. I'm feeling overwhelmed already.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
small mods

Well, I've started some small add-on's. I put on the fuel door for the gas cap, no problem. Stuck on the sill protectors, again no problem. Put in Mopar slush mats. Installed the rear seat recline kit that I got from War Pig off road. Excellent quality kit and the only problem I had was that I got called out for work half way thru the install. It was real hard to read the instructions in the dark using a flashlight. But it went together well. I also installed para-cord grab handles from 13cords.com. Great product and even my wife loves them stating "they are even color coordinated". Then I installed a set of side steps from Fab Fours. Good product, easy install, but crappy instructions. My wife helped me hold them in place so I could get the bolts started. It would have been a lot harder if she had not helped. The last thing I did was put on some stickers that one of the guys at work made for me. I hope they show up in the attached photos.

So far, so Good.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More stuff

Well...I've continued to tinker and add a few little things. I put on spidertrax wheel spacers the other day (I got one set from Northridge 4X4 and one set from Spidertrax's blem outlet). Install went well once I could get those stupid :censored: retaining clips off. I had my 9 Y/O daughter help me by stepping on the breaks when I torqued everything down. She loves helping dad work on the jeep and I love the fact that she is learning how to do this kind of stuff and will not be dependent on someone else. She also took the wheels off using my impact gun. She was having a blast. I should have taken pictures.

I also put in my JWM grill screen. It went on very easy and the directions were ok. The only hiccup I had was that the postal service crushed the box a little and I had to tweak everything a little to get it back into shape. I think it looks real good. I also added a Bushwhacker hood guard the other day. I'm not sure yet I I like it or not. It added quite a bit of wind noise when I'm on the highway. We'll see. I've done a bit of driving with the grill screen on and it's been hot here (90 to 95) and I've had no problems with the engine temp.

IMG_0120.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lift kit

The next mod I hope to buy is the lift kit this week and install it next week. I think I'm going to go with the Teraflex 1.5 in. Spring Leveling Kit. I'll try to take photos when I do it. I'm going to use CPO's method of doing one wheel at a time (he posted a great video).

·
Registered
649 Posts
Coming along nicely! And you're going pretty quick too. Got the bug already :p

Since you said something and jeeps have horrible stock headlights...
I don't personally have these, but I've got JW speaker knock offs for $350 when the real ones are $800. Love them but if I'd known about these I'd have gotten them...

http://4x4lighting.com/LED-Headlight-NS-HL7-75.html

Keep up the mods! Looking forward to watching how this goes :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
headlights

AlmostSleezy,

I really like those lights but I'm concerned about the winters here in Maryland and any snow or ice build-up while on the highway. Because led's don't develop any heat I'm concerned that they won't melt the snow off the headlights while driving. I'm open to comments or suggestions.....

Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mod's continued.....

Well, I did the teraflex spring leveling kit a few weeks ago, install went well. I did not see too much lift but the jeep still rides well and I think it looks ok. Last night I finally put on new wheels and tires (Thanks Discount Tire Direct). I went with Level 8 Punch wheels in 17 inch and 285/70/17 Cooper AT3's for tires. I know that the wheel look may not agree with everyone but the total black wheel thing seemed a little overdone in this area so I thought just a hint of shiny would look good. I really like the way it turned out. I also installed the hot-heads headliners a few weeks ago and I think it made a difference. So far so good.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts