Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After quite a long hiatus, I'm back in a Jeep again. My first vehicle was a 1998 Gunmetal Blue TJ (still my favorite color) that my parents surprised me with in high school. I drove it for about 6 years - up until the end of my senior year in college. Tons of memories, blood, sweat, and tears shared with that thing. It was really sad watching it drive away for the last time.. like losing a friend. I had a build thread going for THOR, but didn't get as far as I wanted due to aging parts + limited funds at the time. Not much action, just my adventures and challenges with owning an old Jeep through school: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/

I was Jeepless for about a year after college and working full time. This past Fall I picked up a lightly used 2015 Tank Green JKUHR after searching for months. I figure it's time to start a new build thread since I've had the new rig for close to year now and have grown out of "stock" mode. Along with a new ride, I just purchased my first home with my girlfriend so obviously my budget is limited. This "build" will focus on finding balance between simplicity, affordability, and capability. I'm also trying to retain comfort for overland style trips and keeping the girlfriend content. Though this summer has been full of other priorities and so the camping/adventures have been minimal, I hope to change that as Fall is here.

Without further ado, I present to you the Green Goat:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/ymOCvlV" data-context="false"><a href="//imgur.com/a/ymOCvlV"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I knew I wanted more height and/or travel out of the suspension, plus protection as peace of mind is key, especially on the longer treks I have planned. This was further solidified after my first run at Rausch Creek - dragging my belly and axles across rocks all day. So here's the plan so far:

Mods installed:
Teraflex 2.5" spring kit
Rancho 9000XL shocks (31/30's)
RK rear adj. trackbar
285/75/17 Cooper ST Maxx
Spydertrax 1.5" wheel spacers
SOLID diff covers front & rear
Tuffy Security trunk
Cibie H4 headlights w/ GE Nighthawk Xenon bulbs
Inspired Engineering A-Pillar Pods

Mods acquired - awaiting install:
Liquid Iron Industries 1-Ton Tie Rod
RK front trackbar
Currie Adjustable CAs
M.O.R.E steel engine skid
JCR evap skid
Teraflex LCA skids
JKS exhaust spacers
Cobra 29LX CB
Westin LED flood for reverse

Phase 1 mods still needed:
Tire carrier - undecided between hinge (TF or RR) vs swing w/ HR bumper (Smitty XRC)
HD bolt kit
Pypes hi-clearance cat-back
SS ext. brake lines vs bracket
Front axle truss (likely Artec)

Planning to also build an internal sleeping platform with built-in storage underneath that will mate up to the edge of the Tuffy trunk. Hoping this will prolong the need for a rack/RTT while keeping GF happy sleeping "indoors".

So far, I'm feeling successful from a budget standpoint considering the deals I've been able to find. Suspension parts total out to about $3k new (not including shipping). I got the TF 2.5" + RK trackbars for $750 brand new off another Jeeper. Walmart/Amazon were selling the Rancho's recently for like 40% off, so about $285 for all four. I found brand new Spydertrax spacers for $150, minus $50 for taking some of the seller's trash away, so $100. Then I picked up a full set of Currie adjustable control arms with less than 5000 miles on them for $625, and he threw in a JCR evap skid for $5 bucks more. In total, about $1750 for everything - aka nearly 40% off on average. Not to mention the engine skid and Inspired LEDs were about 35% off when I bought new.

I've been trying to install as much as I can, but haven't had much time. I recently made a trip to RC so will follow up with more epics/updates.

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
Welcome! Your'e off to a great start. Looking forward to seeing pics.

-Steven

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I need a higher post count to edit my first and fix the image imbed code.

Anyway, to jump back to the budget perspective, I more recently I picked up the Liquid Iron Ind. tie rod for $200. barely used, includes lightly used 1 ton ends + brand new ones, along with an aluminium RE clamp. I'm going to pair this with an SS relocation, just weighing my options currently: basic relocate bracket (Dominion, Synergy, JKS) vs Artec TB bracket.

On top of that, I attended the Quadratec tent sale this past weekend and ended up ordering the Stealth 10k winch. It arrived yesterday and to my surprise it came with a friend. On top of the Qtec winch box was another with a Warn Zeon 8-S inside. Not sure what happened there, but I'm considering it an early xmas present. My main debate now is do I: 1. Keep the Qtec and sell the Warn (10k > 8k) to profit 2. Sell the Qtec and keep the Warn to fund my winch plate purchase 3. Sell both and buy a Zeon 10-S + winch plate and pocket the remaining cash. #3 is looking like the best choice to me right now, but would love all of your input.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I think I need a higher post count to edit my first and fix the image imbed code.

Anyway, to jump back to the budget perspective, I more recently I picked up the Liquid Iron Ind. tie rod for $200. barely used, includes lightly used 1 ton ends + brand new ones, along with an aluminium RE clamp. I'm going to pair this with an SS relocation, just weighing my options currently: basic relocate bracket (Dominion, Synergy, JKS) vs Artec TB bracket.

On top of that, I attended the Quadratec tent sale this past weekend and ended up ordering the Stealth 10k winch. It arrived yesterday and to my surprise it came with a friend. On top of the Qtec winch box was another with a Warn Zeon 8-S inside. Not sure what happened there, but I'm considering it an early xmas present. My main debate now is do I: 1. Keep the Qtec and sell the Warn (10k > 8k) to profit 2. Sell the Qtec and keep the Warn to fund my winch plate purchase 3. Sell both and buy a Zeon 10-S + winch plate and pocket the remaining cash. #3 is looking like the best choice to me right now, but would love all of your input.
You give it back to its rightful owner. You don't own that Warn.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
You seem like a Smart young man going and finishing college but you’ll learn as I have learned in my wise older age there’s a thing called karma it will bite you in the ass.
Being that you graduated college you know what the right thing to do is.
Somebody else has purchased that winch and obviously never got it.
Call or email Quadratec explain what happened. Who knows they may even give you something for your honesty.
Keeping it or selling it will only cause you problems in the future because there will be something that comes back to bite you in the ass.
Hopefully you make the right choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You seem like a Smart young man going and finishing college but you’ll learn as I have learned in my wise older age there’s a thing called karma it will bite you in the ass.
Being that you graduated college you know what the right thing to do is.
Somebody else has purchased that winch and obviously never got it.
Call or email Quadratec explain what happened. Who knows they may even give you something for your honesty.
Keeping it or selling it will only cause you problems in the future because there will be something that comes back to bite you in the ass.
Hopefully you make the right choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My response/decision in separate thread I started:

As I waited for the CC charge to appear (never did) and chewed on this a little more, I agree. From a moral standpoint, as most of you stated, I am obligated to return it. If this was Amazon or some other massive corporation, I honestly wouldn't care, but since some Qtec employee's job might be at risk and likely another customer is missing their order, I feel this is the right choice.

I've reached out to Qtec and escalated to Rob W. in hopes of returning both for a VR10s. I think that fits my needs perfectly for the price.

Thank you for your input/wisdom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts