Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Drake Dash Tray install completed

So I decided to get resourcful... I used plyers to rip out the unremovable plastic screws holding the existing bracket, used a dremel tool to saw off the mounting tabs Drake molded onto the new piece and purchased some 3M indoor/outdoor mounting adhesive to attach the compass module where it needed to go (no other spot would work due to clearance). Followed the instructions the rest of the way and am pleased. Time will tell if the dash heat will prove too formidable for the glue. We will see.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Springtail Solutions M-Pac Tailgate Table & Molle Bags Install and review

I received the Springtail Solutions M-Pac table and molle bags yesterday from Springtail. Based on other forum member suggestions, I simultaneously ordered the TAP Plastic cutting board to install at the same time. Packaging of both items was solid and everything arrived in great condition (although I have to say that I hate packing peanuts...). Install was straight forward though I did have some minor issues with the locking pin bolt hanging up on the table when folding it in. I also bought some Quickfists to attach a few tools. (I found that the 5/8" #10 machine screws and nuts were a perfect fit.). Only other comment on the isntall was that I did NOT break any of the plastic pins nor the locking pin bolts that receive AMPLE warning on the videos and in the isntructions. Generally easy process, I just took my time. It appears that you need to work it a few times to get the weather stripping to compress a bit and allow it to lock easily. I trimmed the cutting board for the various intrusions and it fits perfectly. I really think that Springtail should sell this with the table. Nice add. So... I love this table. I really wanted a table AND Molle storage ad think this solution is far superior to the Teraflex option with the partial cutting board. The install is smooth, the fit SUPER tight, not one iota of movement on our totally messed up roads. The bags included look super solid. I'm stoked to try this one out wen I get a chance in a few weeks on my Father kids camping trip!

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
6th Bottle Opener - License Plate

Installed another piece of silly but fun jeep jewelry this morning also. License plate bottle opener from Upper Bound on Amazon. Was buying other stuff and got me with an impulse buy. Yes I know the doors latches all work, but what if five of my friends are all opening their beers at the same time? Always prepared...

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Jeep Wrangler = Legos for Adults

My son and daughter both love legos. I remember playing with them as a child but it wasn't my passion. I had no idea going into this that a Jeep, in addition to being a blast to drive around, is grown up Legos... nor did I know how much fun it would all be. :awesome:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Drake Off Road Black Billet Aluminum Door Inserts

I saw a Jeep the other day that hadthe Drake Off Road Door inserts and it pushed me over the edge. Ordered them, but like many products, they included silver screws to go with a black item. Hate that... I mean, aesthetically why have mismatched screws? So, like on my Mopar Gas cover (see prior), I grabbed some cardboard (a handy use for shipping boxes I have found) and some Rustoleum black primer/paint and fixed it! Paint drying today, if my work dinner doesn't go late I'll get them on tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Recon Smoked LED Turn Signals

So as I continue the black and green theme, I decided to go with the Recon LED turn signal replacement. I had read that the resistors would probably be needed, and they were. Install was... ok. No instructions at all. Fortunately I found the videos and online resources others have put up. To reiterate:

1) Remove grill
2) unplug and remove existing lights
3) plug in one of the lights, test, if fast blink, then go to resistors
4) Resistors: the clamps provided suck. One of mine was even missing a piece that physically custs into the wire through the insulation. I tried repeatedly and was continually stuck with the fast blink. Finally I stripped a small section of wire and forced the clip to latch on my stripped section. This finally worked. We will see how it is long term, thinking I need to somehow protect from the elements. Not sure what would be best.
4) repeat for both lights
5) reinstall

I didn't do a lot of in process photos. But here is a before and after. So far I am happy with the look and now that they are locked in they are functioning. I'm going to tackle the side markers later. Still working on the big order, stay tuned.

BTW - how the heck can you rotate pics? Sorry so many are off...

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
PrecisionLED Kudos

About a month ago I purchased the PrecisionLED interior LED light package that included the exterior license plate late. I happily installed the various bulbs and went on my way. A few days ago I realized that when I did the install, I totally missed the fact that I didn't receive my replacement license plate bulb. Easy mistake and totally no big deal. I emailed them to explain and within a day they had sent a shipping confirm to let me know I would be getting my new bulb. Great customer service. Could easily have said I should have let them know when I received the package. Instead they just sent me the bulb. No questions asked. That's how you do it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Recon Side Marker Lights

Last week I started the install if the Recon side markers. I'd definitely like to reiterate that despite anything to the contrary online, they ARE NOT plug and play on a 2010. I've read that maybe others are (Xprite?). I really struggled on my first attempt. Trying to splice the wire in the limited space of the wheel well was... unfun. Had to stop midway and take family on spring break. Got back and tackled it fresh today. With a new day and new energy it was pretty easy. I was tackling it before in the garage at night and think the lack of light and frustration got to me. I DO recommend removing THREE of the tabs on the stock fenders. That could have been my issue as well. I think I need to order new fasteners, mine did not really survive the removal process, or maybe its user error? I can't see how to tighten them once I have pushed them back in. Oh, like others, I also broke one of the tabs. That was while only having removed two tabs. On the second, with three tabs removed, no sweat. Anyway. They are in. Am I happy? Overall I think so.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Recon LED Turn signals and Side markers - Final install comments

So here is a picture of my Recons with my Speakers. I had read the turn signals were a little... dim. Yes they are. Will try for a while and see how they are. Also had a random fast blink on one of the turn signals today. I DO have the resistors in. It went away the next time I drove. Either a bad connection or maybe heat in the resistor? Will see how it evolves.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Quadratec Delrin Door Bushings

Had some energy, time and and a beautiful Spring Texas day, so I decided to hit the delrin bushing replacement. It also gave me an excuse to take the doors off for the first time since I bought the Grinch in January. Pretty easy, filing down the inner hinge was the hardest part. My bushings had started to get rusty but only a little. 2010 with only 41k. I have some odd rust spots around the vehicle - e.g. The bar that goes across the lower radiator and to which the grill clips, the black bolts holding down all of my seats, the unfinished steel panel under the plastic trim piece below the steering wheel. Honestly given all of that, the bushings were not very bad. Still glad I did it thought. And, like I said, gave me an excuse for some topless fun. Kids LOVED it. So did Dad...

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Next Plans... Bumpers, Brakes and Power

So, I have been teasing that something big is coming... In the next few weeks I plan to order and install:

AEV Premium Front
AEV Rear with Tire Carrier
Warn Zeon 10s Winch
ARB front and rear Diff covers
RIPP CAI and Exhaust
RIPP Long Tube Headers with Hushpower Resonator
Dynatrac Progrip Brake System

Working on getting some estimates and finalizing decisions. The thinking:

AEV - love the look, functionality and quality, hate the weight and cost. The Rear I especially struggle with as I DID put the Teraflex HD on when I did the lift. In the end, I think I like the way the tire carrier on the AEV functions and holds accessories. So I may have the Teraflex for sale, 1 month used, let me know if intereted...
Warn - well, its a Warn
ARB Diff covers - Very uncomfortable with the fragility of the stock covers. Also noticed some staining from my rear, so...
RIPP stuff - I have always thought I would need some power and while I think eventually I will want to go FI (hemi just too much money), I am also somewhat leery of it. I want to try the header and exxhaust solution first to see if it is noticeable and what RIPP Claims.
Dynagrip - Have been unhappy with the brakes since I put the big tires on. The extra power on this kit seems perfect.

So, that's the plan. It will be a few weeks before I hit the go button and then I have no idea when I will get it all on!

·
Registered
205 Posts
4) Resistors: the clamps provided suck. One of mine was even missing a piece that physically custs into the wire through the insulation. I tried repeatedly and was continually stuck with the fast blink. Finally I stripped a small section of wire and forced the clip to latch on my stripped section. This finally worked. We will see how it is long term, thinking I need to somehow protect from the elements. Not sure what would be best.
Hey there, just a heads up, I have had the same turn signal lights from Recon for a couple of years now. The resistors will go out over time and you'll have to replace them. This ends up sucking a lot because you keep having to redo wiring and basically shortening the wires. I finally did some research and found these on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016VE95IQ?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

They are plug and play, no splicing or cutting just plug'um in. One note, they don't seat perfectly in the harness, as in, nothing keeps them from falling out. So I just used some zip ties.

Anyways, just thought I'd mention it just in case you need to change them in the future.

-Eli

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hey there, just a heads up, I have had the same turn signal lights from Recon for a couple of years now. The resistors will go out over time and you'll have to replace them. This ends up sucking a lot because you keep having to redo wiring and basically shortening the wires. I finally did some research and found these on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016VE95IQ?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

They are plug and play, no splicing or cutting just plug'um in. One note, they don't seat perfectly in the harness, as in, nothing keeps them from falling out. So I just used some zip ties.

Anyways, just thought I'd mention it just in case you need to change them in the future.

-Eli
Hmm. So with this I would just plug one end into the existing harness and the other into the Recon lights? It shows as unavailable currently but this would be a great solution... Thanks for the heads up. Fast blink back today. Will have to dig in and see if something came loose or if the reistor is bad. Frustrating.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmm. So with this I would just plug one end into the existing harness and the other into the Recon lights? It shows as unavailable currently but this would be a great solution... Thanks for the heads up. Fast blink back today. Will have to dig in and see if something came loose or if the reistor is bad. Frustrating.
Yup, you just plug in the ends and it's done. Here is an alternate item that does the same thing https://www.amazon.com/Efoxcity-Res...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SCZ109A9M7QG3VJPFRMR

-Eli

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Finally Offroad!

Well at last I got out to the lease to do some Spring Turkey scouting. Could not be more pleased about the Grinch. Handled the trails with aplomb, the trails around there are pretty rugged, just no problem. Fantastic. Very windy day in N. Texas, the trip out was not fun. Continuing to think about the Steer Smarts package for highway driving...

Attachments

21 - 40 of 242 Posts