Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rented a new house and moved in one week ago. I'd normally park in the garage, but it's filled with empty cardboard boxes at the moment....so I park in the driveway.

The past four or five mornings the Jeep seems kind of "sputtery" (I just made that word up...like it? :D ) right after I start it. Acceleration for the first mile or do is jerky and abrupt. Not tragically so, but enough that I can feel the difference.

My driveway has about a ten or 15 degree up slope to it. This morning behavior didn't start until I started to park in the driveway overnight.

Do y'all think there's a morning fueling issue due to the prolonged nose-up attitude over night? The JK ('15) Rubicon obviously isn't carbureted, and I can't imagine why anything having to do with fuel injection would matter.

After a mile or so down the road it smooths out again. I'm not concerned...just curious since this started when I started parking there.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Put it in 4wd and park on top of the cardboard boxes tonight. See if it still runs rough?

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I guess all those used Jeeps parked down at the Chevy dealer on the incline ramps must not even start at all! Just kidding.

You likely got some bad gas.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hey FF, Sounds to me like you might have a little water in the gas tank. Just for grins, you might try parking it the other way on the incline and see if it does the same thing tomorrow

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I don't like 85 octane gas. Some parts of the country, some states that's what they have. Then they put 10% ethanol in to boot. I like 87 octane gas in mine. If mine runs a little rough I try to plan a trip where I can get out and run on the freeway for a few hours.

Never hurts to throw some fuel system cleaner in once in awhile too. I get gas at Costco, Shell and Chevron. I try to stay away from the mini-marts as much as possible.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Could be an engine temp/coolant temp sensor as well. If it doesnt sense the engine temp properly then you dont get the right mixture of air and gas and it will run rough for the first few minutes and the be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts