Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, look, I know that not everyone who owns a Jeep is on board with the idea of a "Jeep family" especially when it comes to the Jeep Wave. EVERY Jeep (Wrangler) I see on the road I give a friendly wave to. Unfortunately I would estimate that less that 40% wave back. Most of them look at me like I'm crazy or as if they are supposed to know me. I also know that anyone on this thread doesn't not have a problem with recognizing a fellow Jeeper, but this, at least in Central Arkansas, is down right silly. Its not a big deal, but how can we spread the word on Jeep etiquette?
I did hear of this blog (NOT MINE BY THE WAY) that is promoting the "Jeep Wave Day". Seem pretty cool. What do you guys think?

Jeep Waves Blog

·
Registered
51 Posts
Granted I haven't been a Jeeper for very long, and I've been out of the country about 5 times longer than I've owned my Jeep, but for the month I got to go gallivanting around the country not a single person waved back.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Granted I haven't been a Jeeper for very long, and I've been out of the country about 5 times longer than I've owned my Jeep, but for the month I got to go gallivanting around the country not a single person waved back.
I live in Central Arkansas as well, and agree the wave here is a dying art! I mean I go as far as waving at another Jeep across 4 lanes of interstate!
The reality is, everyone is either on the phone texting, or screaming at kids in the back seat!! Very few people drive, looking forward, music up, and actually pay attention to the rd in front of them anymore!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the post...
I was actually wondering what was kosher.
I'm a motorcycle guy and I signal every bike I pass.
JJ

·
Registered
72 Posts
I live in Central Arkansas as well. I've only owned my Jeep for about a month now. I had heard about the Jeep wave, and was familiar with the idea since I've owned motorcycles in the past, so I started doing it right away. Of the dozens of waves I've thrown people, only 1 has waved back. Typically, if they see it at all, they look back confused as though they are trying to figure out how they know you. What surprises me is that the large number of them that look irritated or upset that you have waved at them.

Oh well, it's their problem. I'm enjoying my Jeep, and I'm going to keep waving. :wavey:

·
Registered
486 Posts
I live in Orange County CA, so you can imagine how many waves I don't get returned.
I'm in the Long Beach area... Same thing up here. I stopped waving at stock jeeps and now just wave to the modified (even the slightest bit) Jeep. I get about a 80-85% wave back.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wave and don't worry if they don't wave back. I try to presume the positive, you know...they were distracted, just had something on their mind, or were slow to react. If they don't know, don't care, or think that having a modded Jeep makes them a better driver off road, I'm better off not knowing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've turned it into a game for my daughters when they are riding with me. We get alot more waves back when they wave first. It's hard not to wave at an 11 and 7 year old riding in the back seat of a doorless JKU, wearing shooting glasses to block the wind, and WWII jeep watch caps to keep their hair out of there faces. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recall a line from a motorcycle forum, concerning people's lack of waving...
Don't be offended if someone riding a Goldwing doesn't wave back.
They just haven't found the "wave" button, yet.
JJ

·
Registered
352 Posts
The "Wave" seems to be alive and well in Minnesota. I guess I get waved back to about 75% of the time. The 25% that don't seem to be oblivious to the whole thing, in a hurry or otherwise preoccupied. Other than that, CJs seem more inclined not to wave to an Unlimited than others. XJ's seem to wave a bit more than expected. All good.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sometimes when I am in my non-Jeep daily driver I forget I am not in my Jeep and I wave. That really gets me strange looks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wave at every jeep. I get a lot of weird looks, but a lot of waves too. I've found that anyone that has any kind of off-road mod (even if its an extra pair of lights) always waves. I get the least amount of waves from stock wranglers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts