Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about a stretched YJ, the YJL? Apparently, it was available in the mid-90s, but I don't know if that was available in the US. It doesn't look like it, though. It looks like that was available in MENA (middle east/North Africa), rather.

You can read about it here, http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/JP-Freek/jpfsummer2008/2010022401/#84

·
Registered
553 Posts
Does anyone know about a stretched YJ, the YJL? Apparently, it was available in the mid-90s, but I don't know if that was available in the US. It doesn't look like it, though. It looks like that was available in MENA (middle east/North Africa), rather.

You can read about it here, JPFSummer2008
That is awesome!

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is a neat variant!

Jeep, in it's various forms under different owners, has a history of making different vehicles for export or made by other companies outside the US under license. The CJ-6 would be an example of an export model (ever wonder why, in the US, we see CJ-5 and then the next model jumps to CJ-7?).

Way before Chrysler owned Jeep, AMC had VAM building various AMC and Jeep vehicles which were slightly, or sometimes very different, variations of the products seen the the USA. Other unique models where made in Venezuela and elsewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We go hit the dunes of Sahara west and south west to Cairo where most of my offroading buddies live. And yep I was the proud owner of a civilian YJL the first of its kind anywhere and the precursor of JKs we know today through a lineage of TJL (aka LJ) and J8 (2 doors long chassis of JK in military form never made it to the hands of civilians except through your svid AEV.

We had both YJ and YJL produced in the Egyptian factory and there where some funny stories like I'd order a product from the US and the sales rep on email would ask about the vin number maybe because he thinks i know more of camels than rigs or that he's facing plenty of funny miscommunication with international buyers :)

Anyways turned out thwt my YJL vin is actually a cherokee in his charts!! :)

There was no concept of anything unAmerican in America these days so the guy wouldn't sell with guarntee and i wouldn't buy without. :)

We prized the YJL over YJ in serious offroading because YJ was the first too short a rig geared more for rubicon-like trails but no space to carry even its own gas in our long distance trips that could be as long as few thousands of kilometers in vast spaces and sandseas (all dunes for hunderds of kms).

TJL was more stable by design than the jumpy shorter one and not much heavier and with huge space in the back... actually two couches on the side in the trunk each carrying two. Those where right behind a back seat that can carry other two. I could carry 7 people in the car and my i6 wouldn't complain :)

Will try to place a pic but you can see it yourselves plus other "Egyptian Jeeps" on this link:

http://saharasafaris.org/whatis/jeep

Good day :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
By the way. The rig you see in the myviryual website is by another Egyptian with same pedigree as mine. He upgraded to JK and I with XJ now. There are plenty of YJLs still roaming roads in Egypt and I think you can definitely attempt to buy one. :)
BTW, we don't have civilian TJs in Egypt but JK is produced in Egypt only in 4 doors. My XJ is Egyptian is well.
The Egyptian plant is
www.aav.com.eg

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Heres my favorite stretched YJ.
Built by Jeff Daniels for medical missions in Haiti

1 - 14 of 14 Posts