Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm with the other guys. There were no differences to speak of between '15 and '16, Rubicon, but the 3.6L w/4.10, manual, 2dr went from 2000 lbs to 3500.

That's significant.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
And I'm still waiting for THE explanation as to why the two door JK with 3.73 gearing went from 2,000 lbs/200 tongue to 3500 lbs/350 tongue in 2016 and beyond.
FCA wont provide the answer, I have asked. I have done a pretty extensive part comparison between my 2014 and the 2016's and really can't find anything that would call for this jump. Many of us feel that in 2016 J-Spec 2807 was applied.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Is the SAE spec 2807 a legally required spec? If so we can get the current one and the previous one, that should show if the calculation methodology or specific requirements changed and when...

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Is the SAE spec 2807 a legally required spec? If so we can get the current one and the previous one, that should show if the calculation methodology or specific requirements changed and when...
No it is not, it is totally voluntary. And prior to J-2807 there was no spec, tow numbers where based on marketing and engineering. In fact many vehicles where graded downward when the spec was applied.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
No it is not, it is totally voluntary. And prior to J-2807 there was no spec, tow numbers where based on marketing and engineering. In fact many vehicles where graded downward when the spec was applied.
I am interested because I tow an R-Pod that is close to the tow limits they give. Using a FlashPaq tuner, I can get the performance to act like my JK could pull a lot more. Not intending to do it and we do weigh our typical loads. But with a weight distribution hitch, boat on top and dogs, it would be a great ease of mind if the Jeep was stronger than we guess or are allowed to believe by rating.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
I am interested because I tow an R-Pod that is close to the tow limits they give. Using a FlashPaq tuner, I can get the performance to act like my JK could pull a lot more. Not intending to do it and we do weigh our typical loads. But with a weight distribution hitch, boat on top and dogs, it would be a great ease of mind if the Jeep was stronger than we guess or are allowed to believe by rating.
The 2016-2018 2 door was the only one impacted with the tow rating going up to be the same as the JKU.

But in in other parts of the world the JK's are rated to pull more than we can in the US. Some of this is no doubt that here in the US we a lawsuit happy blaming anyone but ourselves when things go wrong. A lot of it is due though to national speed limits in place that allow for a lighter tongue weight.

The JK's basic problem is it's lack of payload capacity. And this more than anything limits what can be towed. Tongue weight here in the US is recommended at 10-15% and this allows being able to run a speed up to the posted limit, 80 mph. In Australia the speed limit is like 60 mph when towing, this allows for tongue weights in the 4-7% range thus allowing for a heavier trailer to be pulled. It should be noted that the oversea's version of the Wrangler may have larger brakes as well.

It would be nice especially with a vehicle that is as highly modded as our Jeeps are if there was a place that could perform J-2807 on our vehicles for a nominal cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone ever installed airbags like AirLift to help with the towing capacity?

I have a 2011 JK Sport and I'm looking at getting a side by side. With that and the trailer i'll be pushing the towing capacity. It'll probably be right near that 2000 pounds or potentially over. I don't want to do anything that could destroy the Jeep so I'm debating on looking into airbags. Am i wasting my time and going a little over wont hurt anything? Or is it worth looking into?

Thanks,

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
47,319 Posts
Has anyone ever installed airbags like AirLift to help with the towing capacity?

I have a 2011 JK Sport and I'm looking at getting a side by side. With that and the trailer i'll be pushing the towing capacity. It'll probably be right near that 2000 pounds or potentially over. I don't want to do anything that could destroy the Jeep so I'm debating on looking into airbags. Am i wasting my time and going a little over wont hurt anything? Or is it worth looking into?

Thanks,
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
It would be nice especially with a vehicle that is as highly modded as our Jeeps are if there was a place that could perform J-2807 on our vehicles for a nominal cost.
I agree. If for no other reason than the ability to discover if there are components that, if added, modified or replaced, would make a significant improvement in payload safety or reliability.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts

Thanks,

People have installed airbags but understand that does not change your towing capacity in the eyes of the court. It is really not about destroying your Jeep but insuring you don't destroy other peoples vehicles.

I tow often at max and above but my Jeep is no where close to stock anymore. But I have been towing things with my vehicles for going on 50 years now. My tongue weight is never more than 200 lbs and I limit my speed while towing to 60 mph when towing anywhere near the max. Of course here in CA the towing speed limit is 55 mph.

IMO with our Jeeps and towing there are a few things that should be done. Upgrading brakes is high on that list, they are barely good enough stock. Watch your tongue weight in relation to your payload. And biggest thing is to slow down and be mindful of the wind.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I was over on a camping trailer forum and asked about towing with the 2017 Wrangler. OMG you would of thought towing a fold down camper at 2000 lbs with it was blasphemy!

I would need to sell it and buy a 3/4 ton pickup to be safe. Come to find out some of them were towing with a car or SUV?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I was over on a camping trailer forum and asked about towing with the 2017 Wrangler. OMG you would of thought towing a fold down camper at 2000 lbs with it was blasphemy!

I would need to sell it and buy a 3/4 ton pickup to be safe. Come to find out some of them were towing with a car or SUV?
It's true there is a lot of nutty stuff out there. Our 2018 Wrangler Sport JKU pulls a Forest River R-Pod 189, 3500 lbs. loaded to max weight (2900 lbs. with minimum water) and max 357 hitch (290). We use a weight distribution system (blue ox), curt echo brake controller and have superchips tune for towing. Blue ox fights handles sway, curt echo allows trailer electronic brake tuning and superchips gets power setup for tow. Easy. No problems. I put in the DrawTite Class III hitch and the Mopar 7-pin trailer wiring harnessing an afternoon, and I'm 70 (so it's not hard). We also have a TadiBrothers camera system that we are installing now. Will tell about it later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's true there is a lot of nutty stuff out there. Our 2018 Wrangler Sport JKU pulls a Forest River R-Pod 189, 3500 lbs. loaded to max weight (2900 lbs. with minimum water) and max 357 hitch (290). We use a weight distribution system (blue ox), curt echo brake controller and have superchips tune for towing. Blue ox fights handles sway, curt echo allows trailer electronic brake tuning and superchips gets power setup for tow. Easy. No problems. I put in the DrawTite Class III hitch and the Mopar 7-pin trailer wiring harnessing an afternoon, and I'm 70 (so it's not hard). We also have a TadiBrothers camera system that we are installing now. Will tell about it later.
I have a pretty similar set up on my 2016 JKU Anniversary with a RPod 191. Blue Ox hitch with the 500lb bars, Curt Spectrum brake controller. Tows really nice. I have a 2.5” Terraflex spring lift. Might go with the Overlander spring in the rear in time. I’m going to look into the Superchip if you’ve had good results with it. 👍

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2017 JKU with 3.5" lift w/35's. Getting 4.88 gears installed next week. Currently tow a jet ski with no issues (~1000 lbs). Thinking about towing a RPod type camper. Any issues with a weight distributing hitch on a lifted Jeep? Any de-rate of tow capacity when Jeep is lifted?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2017 JKU with 3.5" lift w/35's. Getting 4.88 gears installed next week. Currently tow a jet ski with no issues (~1000 lbs). Thinking about towing a RPod type camper. Any issues with a weight distributing hitch on a lifted Jeep? Any de-rate of tow capacity when Jeep is lifted?
I have 373’s, no issues. Currently running a 2.5” Terraflex spring lift with a 1” spacer in the rear because of my Gobi rack. I don’t have any leveling or sag issues with the Blue Ox (550 bars) bolted up with the RPod. Truth be told, I have a 5X10 enclosed trailer and loaded with a motorcycle with no distribution hitch, it tows worse than the larger RPod. I’ve been looking into the Terriflex overland rear springs as a upgrade but with one season behind me of towing all seems good.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts