Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
OK 2017 2 door JK, 3.6 v8 , 3.73 rear axle. Rating at the book 3500/350. Trailer 3178 dry or shipping weight, max intended tow 50 miles. Brakes and controller of course. As we all know my tow weight will be closer to 3,300. Max distance towed... 50 miles. I know its pushing the JK and considering a used Toyota Tacoma instead, but I LOVE my JK. Frontal area, not a factor, these are local campgrounds, towing perhaps 12 times a year, maybe.

Suggestions.

·
Administrator
17,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I haven't towed that much in our 2 door, it was no problem for the 4 door.

Hopefully someone can chime in with experience.

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts
OK 2017 2 door JK, 3.6 v8 , 3.73 rear axle. Rating at the book 3500/350. Trailer 3178 dry or shipping weight, max intended tow 50 miles. Brakes and controller of course. As we all know my tow weight will be closer to 3,300. Max distance towed... 50 miles. I know its pushing the JK and considering a used Toyota Tacoma instead, but I LOVE my JK. Frontal area, not a factor, these are local campgrounds, towing perhaps 12 times a year, maybe.

Suggestions.
What’s your tongue weight?

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts

Suggestions.
As long as you are within the tow limits, and it sounds like you are, I can't imagine why anyone would have an issue with it.
We push it right to the tow limit with our RV trailer, right around 3,500 lbs with a tongue weight right around 350 lbs. And we tow it most of the way across the country. So, I would think you will be fine. I do suggest you get a scale to measure tongue weight. It is often higher than it is supposed to be according to specs. We moved the battery from the tongue, and replaced it with a lighter battery positioned in the back.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
That's a good idea moving the battery back and extending the cables of course. The one we had at the lake a old 5th wheel had the battery in a side compartment. The tongue weight is usually 10% or less of the total weight of the trailer and since I stated in my post, max tow distance to local camp grounds under 50 miles. My last camper/truck was weighed at a grain elevator scale. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts
You didn’t mention what you’re towing, only that it’s going to a campground. Most bumper pull campers are in the 10-15% tongue weight range. That’s why I asked. If the camper is 3178 lbs dry, while that’s under the 3500 tow capacity, if it’s at 12% TW then dry your already at 381 lbs (over the 350 lbs TW capacity )

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
That's a good idea moving the battery back and extending the cables of course. The one we had at the lake a old 5th wheel had the battery in a side compartment. The tongue weight is usually 10% or less of the total weight of the trailer and since I stated in my post, max tow distance to local camp grounds under 50 miles. My last camper/truck was weighed at a grain elevator scale. :)
Actually, the new location for the battery is closer to the electric panel in the back. Originally the battery in the front ran cables all the way to the back where the electric panel is. Now the battery sits a couple feet from the electric panel, with a pair of short cables to the panel.
As @SecondTJ mentions, you do need to watch tongue weight. If this is a RV trailer they are notorious about over-weighting the tongue. Their published tongue weights generally don't include the batter or the propane cylinders. Ours weighs around 3400 lbs, but the tongue weight as delivered was about 390 lbs. Moving the weight around got the tongue weight to around 350.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Has anyone used a JKU to flat-tow a CJ5? My MIL decided she needed a jeep and settled on a CJ5 that was closer to me. I picked it up for her but now have to get it to her. It came with a towbar setup and I have towed many a thing with my JKU, but I have never flat-towed anything. I prefer to take my jeep when I go visit her because it's in the middle of nowhere and plenty of exploring to be done, but I have heard that flat-towing is harder to corner and I'm not sure if the JKU is up for it. I also have a 3/4ton van and a 1ton superduty that I am sure would do a better job, but the JKU is newer, nicer and better for the dirt roads once I get there. So, is the JKU able to get it the 300 miles to her or do I just pass on playing while I'm there this year?

·
Premium Member
9,626 Posts
Has anyone used a JKU to flat-tow a CJ5? My MIL decided she needed a jeep and settled on a CJ5 that was closer to me. I picked it up for her but now have to get it to her. It came with a towbar setup and I have towed many a thing with my JKU, but I have never flat-towed anything. I prefer to take my jeep when I go visit her because it's in the middle of nowhere and plenty of exploring to be done, but I have heard that flat-towing is harder to corner and I'm not sure if the JKU is up for it. I also have a 3/4ton van and a 1ton superduty that I am sure would do a better job, but the JKU is newer, nicer and better for the dirt roads once I get there. So, is the JKU able to get it the 300 miles to her or do I just pass on playing while I'm there this year?
CJ5 is only about 2600 lbs, I don't see any reason at all you can pull it.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
You didn’t mention what you’re towing, only that it’s going to a campground. Most bumper pull campers are in the 10-15% tongue weight range. That’s why I asked. If the camper is 3178 lbs dry, while that’s under the 3500 tow capacity, if it’s at 12% TW then dry your already at 381 lbs (over the 350 lbs TW capacity )
Hitch tow rule of thumb weight is usually at 10% this trailer is more like 9.75 % stated tow weight. Its a camping trailer going to a camp ground. Electrical panel locations vary, the last two I have owned, one was in the rear where the shore power comes in the other was in the middle.

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts
Unfortunately the “Hitch rule of thumb of 10% tongue weight” doesn’t apply to the majority of campers as delivered. GuzziMoto ‘s experience of getting 11.5% TW is typical. “As stated” (by Manufacturer) and actual tongue weight are consistently very different.

Yes there are a lot of TW variables. 1-2 batteries, 1-2 propane tanks (filled or empty), front or rear kitchen, holding tanks filled or empty, etc.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Well if you go by the published max weight and tongue weights on the RV nameplate and the published towing weights for the Jeep I do not think you can go wrong. If your 40 lbs over does it make a difference? I don't think anyone is going to write you a ticket.
FYI the shipping weight as it comes from the factory includes on this model two propane tanks, and battery. Granted the tanks are empty, but otherwise unless you carry full water and waste tanks its pretty much the weight You would Tow.

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
I forgot to mention, while the actual tongue weight of our trailer is over the published tongue weight, that was with empty tanks. A full freshwater tank and it is even higher.
Especially if the wastewater tanks are empty.
It’s a free country, do what you want. But I would not count on the published weights being anything but a start. As mentioned, you can always move weight around to get it where you want it. But odds are the published weights aren’t realistic.

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
What gearing did your JKU come with?
If it has 3.21 gears you would probably be beyond the 2,000 lb tow rating. If it has 3.73 or 4.10 gears ( or more ) you should be comfortably within the 3,500 pound tow rating.
Of course, I am not sure how much a CJ5 weighs, but the tow ratings I am sure of.

·
Premium Member
9,626 Posts
The other thing to remember is the 10-15% rule of thumb is based on pulling at the published speed limit. If you are willing to drive slower you can reduce your tongue weight but you must drive slower, typically under 60 mph. Just as important though is keeping your tow rig balanced. The use of a weight distribution hitch works well for this but I am not a fan. Airbags and or stiffer rear springs also work. Keep the weight (Jeep) as close to 50/50 makes for the safest ride. I keep my tongue weight at no more than 200lbs, not because that is what the rig is only rated at 2000lbs, I have pulled heavier, but because that keeps the weight on the Jeep pretty balanced. I just slow down. Hell in CA the towing speed limit is only 55 mph anyway and I am never in any hurry when towing.

As @GuzziMoto if you are going to tow a lot do yourself a favor and invest in a tongue scale. They can be had at right around $100 bucks and there are even some receivers that have a scale built into them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Something else to remember that even in countries where the speed limit for towing is 60mph or so the tongue weight limit in the specs still follow the 10% rule. Granted towing at 60mph can be safely done with tongue weights in the 5-7% range. One spec I have seen for the JKU 2200kg trailer/220kg tongue or 4840/484 in lbs. As far as I know the hitch/frame on the Euro/Aussie models is no different than US models. The Wrangler seems to be rated highly as a tow vehicle for caravans as they call RV's across the pond. I am certainly not advocating hooking up a 4000-5000lb RV to a Wrangler and towing 70-80mph on the interstate though. I cringe some during our travels each summer when I see folks pulling large RV's with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks going down the highway at 70-80mph and I am certain a number of these rigs are overweight based on factory specs. I tow around 60mph or so, much more relaxed and besides I am retired and not in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
9,626 Posts
Something else to remember that even in countries where the speed limit for towing is 60mph or so the tongue weight limit in the specs still follow the 10% rule. Granted towing at 60mph can be safely done with tongue weights in the 5-7% range. One spec I have seen for the JKU 2200kg trailer/220kg tongue or 4840/484 in lbs. As far as I know the hitch/frame on the Euro/Aussie models is no different than US models. The Wrangler seems to be rated highly as a tow vehicle for caravans as they call RV's across the pond. I am certainly not advocating hooking up a 4000-5000lb RV to a Wrangler and towing 70-80mph on the interstate though. I cringe some during our travels each summer when I see folks pulling large RV's with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks going down the highway at 70-80mph and I am certain a number of these rigs are overweight based on factory specs. I tow around 60mph or so, much more relaxed and besides I am retired and not in a hurry.
Europe typical uses 3-7% tongue weight.

The max tongue listed for the Golf is about 176 pounds which works out to about 5 percent of 3,500 pounds. This lower tongue weight of between 3-7 percent is the common figure in Europe. So while a lower tongue weight equates to a higher towing limit it comes with a cost: speed.
The AU which has the highest tow ratings recommends 10-15%. And when you start to research the hitches they have available they will handle up to around 6000lbs, but are only rated for 350lbs tongue weight. Draw you own conclusions.

I certainly don't recommend running under 10% and if you do you need to test before you hit the road, which I advise anyway before heading out even if you have a tongue weight scale. Nothing will ruin your day faster than loading up the trailer only to find there is a problem 10 miles down the road.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What gearing did your JKU come with?
If it has 3.21 gears you would probably be beyond the 2,000 lb tow rating. If it has 3.73 or 4.10 gears ( or more ) you should be comfortably within the 3,500 pound tow rating.
Of course, I am not sure how much a CJ5 weighs, but the tow ratings I am sure of.
It's a Rubicon with 3.73s. I know the weight isn't the problem, but the flat towing vs trailer towing and the spread between the wheels.

So I did a bit of a test and towed it down the road about 5 miles to a shop that is going to inspect the CJ and do some work on it. I can't say as it inspired confidence for going down the highway. Even with the CJ wheels as straight as I could get them, I had to have a slight constant input to counter the way it was trying to move the JK and corners were rather unplesant. Nothing that the JK wasn't capable of, but I don't think I really want to do 300 miles at real speed with it back there either. I will be taking the Superduty this year.

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
It's a Rubicon with 3.73s. I know the weight isn't the problem, but the flat towing vs trailer towing and the spread between the wheels.

So I did a bit of a test and towed it down the road about 5 miles to a shop that is going to inspect the CJ and do some work on it. I can't say as it inspired confidence for going down the highway. Even with the CJ wheels as straight as I could get them, I had to have a slight constant input to counter the way it was trying to move the JK and corners were rather unplesant. Nothing that the JK wasn't capable of, but I don't think I really want to do 300 miles at real speed with it back there either. I will be taking the Superduty this year.
You might be better off putting the CJ5 on a trailer and towing that. That is what I would want to do if I were you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
A car trailer is not a thing I have and then I would need one light enough to stay under the JKU's rating with the CJ on it as well. Since the CJ is already setup for flat-towing and I'm sure the Superduy will do the job, that's the route I will take this year. Oh, well, I will just have to use the CJ down there this year instead of mine.

101 - 120 of 143 Posts