Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can they take away the folding windshield and still call it a jeep? Someone needs to obtain the rights to AMC(if for only the name)and take jeep back to its roots. IMO

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've heard and seen, the wrangler will lose the folding option in favor of more rake for aerodynamics. Screwing things up. Leave it to fiat.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's another thread on here that's similar, but to lose the folding windshield, is to lose the last thread of DNA that makes it a jeep.

·
Registered
837 Posts
^ thats justa jk i think.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Shit, that's got big azz tires! Makes my tires look like hot wheels.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Does anybody really fold their windshield anymore? It was a quick procedure on the original Willys and some of the CJ's, but does it really make sense anymore?

-Original Willys had a top speed of what, 45, 50? Anybody want to run a JK at highway speeds with the window folded? (I know, it's more of an off-road thing, just making a point)

-The window fold procedure on today's jeeps is sufficiently complicated that you probably wouldn't want to to it very often....not as easy as dropping the soft top. It involves tools and removing those roll bar extensions, not to mention whatever you have to do with the windshield wipers.

-Once you do get the windshield down, it really just looks stupid...too clunky and bulky, not like those thin flat windshields on the originals that actually rested flat on the hood.

-Even if I could get past the thick bulky windshield perched awkwardly on the hood, now you still have roll bars in the back (unless you remove them too) still sticking up above it all, and that looks stupid also....not the compact low-profile look of the original.

I'm just not sure there's enough reason to keep the folding windshield design. Besides, someone will come out with a kit for that. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Does anybody really fold their windshield anymore? It was a quick procedure on the original Willys and some of the CJ's, but does it really make sense anymore?

-Original Willys had a top speed of what, 45, 50? Anybody want to run a JK at highway speeds with the window folded? (I know, it's more of an off-road thing, just making a point)

-The window fold procedure on today's jeeps is sufficiently complicated that you probably wouldn't want to to it very often....not as easy as dropping the soft top. It involves tools and removing those roll bar extensions, not to mention whatever you have to do with the windshield wipers.

-Once you do get the windshield down, it really just looks stupid...too clunky and bulky, not like those thin flat windshields on the originals that actually rested flat on the hood.

-Even if I could get past the thick bulky windshield perched awkwardly on the hood, now you still have roll bars in the back (unless you remove them too) still sticking up above it all, and that looks stupid also....not the compact low-profile look of the original.

I'm just not sure there's enough reason to keep the folding windshield design. Besides, someone will come out with a kit for that. :)
Agree 100%. Move on people. If you want a 1947 Jeep get one. If you want a 2015 and think it is going to be anything like an old one....get a clue! Even on a 25 year old YJ, to fold the windshield is a PITA

Like Iacocca said when they questioned him about the safety issues of the original Mustang 40 years after it came out. "It's time to get a new car!"

·
Registered
514 Posts
you could just weld the hinges on the window and nobody will know... my biggest concern is that its gonna get overly complicated like a land rover.. the more electronics and gadgets that they add the more problems off road.. there gearing all the new jeeps towards the soccer mom crowd as thats where the money is.. its just evolution the jeep as we know it is slowly fading away.. it will no longer be a group of ppl that put up with the idiosyncrasies of the jeep for the freedom and camaraderie.. goto a biker rally most harley owners in leather are doctors and lawyers looking for a weekend away.. just like the pickup trucks drive a 78 f150 its simple no bs its a truck. like the old jeeps it is what it is.. no offensive to the four door jeeper but i see more and more at walmart driven by soccer moms that never remove the top just use ac i dont see the point of that.. theres better suvs for better prices out there but your paying for the name and legacy.. like buying a harley.. we just gotta suck it up were gonna be the one percenters of the jeep world the outlaws with jeeps that are loud dirty and smell funny but nobody would trade it for a shiny new one..

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Who folds down the windshield?

Agree 100%. Move on people. If you want a 1947 Jeep get one. If you want a 2015 and think it is going to be anything like an old one....get a clue! Even on a 25 year old YJ, to fold the windshield is a PITA
:appl::appl:
Only folded mine down once, and that was to replace the cowl seal, which I wouldn't have had to do if the windshield was a permanent fixture. :banghead:
I have never folded down my windshield to drive, and only on old Willys on the trail have I ever seen one with it down.
Big deal. Move on people, nothing to see here...
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I posted this on Jalopnik a while back. I'll repeat it here...

As far as folding down the windshield goes; if we're being honest we've gotta admit that this was an afterthought at best on the current JK models.

I just bought one. I've read the instructions and watched the YouTube videos. All indications are that they do NOT intend for you to do this and have made it awfully inconvenient.

I get the appeal with the older models. Turn some lever or something and drop it down and away you go. The current one isn't like that at all and it seems that if you DO decide to use the feature, you then get to live in ever-lasting fear that it's now going to leak water through every crack and crevice if you didn't get the whole thing lined up EXACTLY right when you put it back together.

By all accounts they made it drop down because of tradition. Not because they wanted to make it functional.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
personally, I have folded my windshield down at least a dozen times. heck, when I lived in prescott Az. I left it down for a couple of weeks, no rain forcast and only a few miles drive to play in the desert. it takes less than 10 min to do when the tops off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts