Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Wrangler 2-D
On the side of the mirror housing that is closest to the Jeep door there is a small #20 torx screw that sits behind the mirror glass. What is this for. What would happen if I took it out. Someone said if you take it out it allows you to separate the two components (the mounting plate and mirror housing). Is this true

·
Registered
77 Posts
It allows you to take off the rear view mirror. The mirror slides onto a bracket that is attached to the glass. The screw keeps the mirror snug.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are referring to the rear view mirror; I didn't mention it (should have) but I am referring to the side mirrors that attach to the doors. I guess the screw is for the same reason, maybe?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks. I guess I better not remove the screw. I was looking for a way to take the two pieces apart so I can use the mirror heads on the Quadratec Mirror Relocation Brackets. I see in their catalog I can buy the mirror heads only for 99 bucks but that's a little expensive for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Removed the bottom screw. Wont let me remove the top piece. Used hammer and screwdriver and pounded on the center still wont come apart. Took mirrors to dealer. They couldn't do it. I'm beginning to think they are meant to be taken apart - one piece construction maybe, I don't know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have twisted, I have pulled, I have tried everything that has been said about removing the pieces. It's hopeless.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
"The little screw behind the mirror"
What about the nut loose behind the steering wheel? ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts