Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see there are so many posts on Death Wobble.. I just got a jeep TJ lifted on 35's and its quite an amazing beast…. except for the fact that the steering feels washy and floaty compared to my 1990 yj that's has really nice tight steering…. The TJ will also go into death wobble… I can avoid this of coarse by feathering the steering, brakes and gas….. but I don't like playing that game… I want a truck I can relax in like my yj… The TJ has a straight 6… lots more power, less miles and doesn't leak oil all over the parking lot like my yj is…. which is why I bought the TJ was for a less miles more dependable vehicle, also more beefy and more capable off road, but now I'm just irritated when I want to go down the road to the store cuz the thing wanders from right to left and gets into wobbles…. I also want to work on this thing myself, but am just starting to learn the ins and outs of all this… You would think Jeep would have a way to know for sure how to cure these problems or someone would have made a better front end suspension with no hiccups…. any advice will be appreciated… I've watched while someone moved the steering back and forth and all I see is the drag link going up and down a little, no side to side…. and the passenger side lower control arm mount is smashed a bit from the previous owner hitting a rock or something… could that cause it?? I just want a nice tight front end so I can rip…

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Show us some pictures of your front suspension. There's nothing wrong with the design of the Jeeps stock front suspension. It's loose worn out parts/lack of maintenance that cause death wobble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My TJ started doing the same thing after I put the lift... Change to dual steering stabilizers and alignment... Stopped all together.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
My TJ started doing the same thing after I put the lift... Change to dual steering stabilizers and alignment... Stopped all together.
Steering stabilizers (more appropriately called steering dampeners) are never the cause of death wobble, but only mask the real issue. Dual steering stabilizers only serve to make your power steering pump work harder and do absolutely nothing positive. You should be able to drive your Jeep without a stabilizer and still not have death wobble. Putting a suspension lift on a Jeep toes in the front tires. The higher the lift, the more the toe-in. If the tires are towed in close to an inch (like they would be on about a 4" suspension lift) that can trigger death wobble, so it's likely your alignment had everything to do with eliminating your wobble.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Shimmy and/or Death Wobble Reduction by the numbers

With 33's, my Jeep handled great. I replaced the stock tie rod with a Rubicon Express Tie Rod, added a dropped pitman arm, and called it good.:)

Enter 35" All-Terrains, and all hell broke loose. The stock tie rod ends weren't up to the job - loose and full of slop from not being tightened in a long while. Bumpsteer was bad. Ball joints were worn out, but I didn't know this for over 1 year until I replaced everything else. The Mile Marker winch plate popped out the steering stabilizer bolts, making my front wobble when all of my steering components were replaced. Unit bearings were trashed, too.

The track bar was replaced with a Rubicon Express one, but with the stock/OEM track bar bolt sliding back and forth during the dry steering test, I realized that a thicker unit was in order. I replaced my steering stabilizer, but that didn't improve my steering problems until I added:

New Unit Bearings - 5% shimmy reduction
New Ball Joints - 15% shimmy reduction
New Currectlync Currie Steering - 10% shimmy reduction
New Rubicon Express Track Bar - 5% shimmy reduction
New Track Bar Bolt - 15% shimmy reduction
New REINFORCED Track Bar Mount - 10% shimmy reduction/accepts greater torque
New Synergy Ball Joints - 20% shimmy reduction
New Rubicon Express Gen 2 Disconnects - 0% shimmy reduction/improved ride on the street
New Stock Pitman Arm - 0% shimmy reduction/improved steering response
Cut/Modified MileMarker Winch Plate Mounts (so OEM Swaybar bolts could do their job) - 10% shimmy reduction
New Upper (and lower) Metal Cloak Control Arms - 10% shimmy reduction (the upper arm bushings were ground down from 130K mi. of heavy use.

Next, I plan on looking at the stacked coil isolators as a contributor of mushiness in my handling, and adding front Daystar Polyurethane Swaybar Bushings.

My Jeep went into full death wobble at 40 mph, I couldn't drive it on the freeway for months, and I had to garage it and drive the Honda while I figured all of these problems out. This past weekend, I drove 65 mph on the freeway without shimmy and hitting bumps on the freeway, no death wobble! The wife is impressed with the way the Jeep rides now.

Hope this helps! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts