Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I continue to have the most annoying issue every.... "death wobble"

I'll make this short and sweet...

The Jeep:
-RC 4" Lift
-High steer kit (installed to attempt to fix the issue)
-Still has the stock P255/75R17 tires
-Alignment is all in the green Camber: -0.4 left, -0.5 right, caster 3.6 left, 3.2 right, Toe 0.12 left, 0.13 right
-Has an upgraded single steering stabilizer

*This started instantly after putting the lift on.

Trouble shooting attempts:
-Went through everything myself
-Has been to the dealership MULTIPLE times to see if they can fix it and they are at a loss. Even Chrysler is not providing a good answer.

I'm currently down to two options, and i'm reaching.
-1. upgrade tires to see if that fixes it.
-2. Get a new front drive shaft to see if that fixes it.

Here is a video. Its not the greatest example so take it with a grain of salt. Bottom line, if i hit a bump with a single tire (if i hit an even rut with both tires nothing happens) the steering shakes. How much all depends on my speed and size of the bump. It happens on some overpasses and poor road surfaces.

vhttps://youtu.be/5rGnM6ffj7c

Thoughts? I'm honestly at a loss...

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
First off it's a RC lift kit, not a great start.
Second, did you have a new front Trackbar installed?
Third, new tires wont fix the problem. bigger tires may make it worse. Try reducing the tire pressure, that may help.
Forth, have all tires rechecked for balance.

True death wobble is the effect of the front differential housing being able to oscillate, generally meaning something is loose or flexing.
There are many things that can initiate death wobble such as:
High tire pressure
Improperly set control arms
Bad geometry
Weak Trackbar
Among other things all of which are outlined in planmans documentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
Seems minor but replace the stock tb bolts. I'll throw a few others out there just in case.

Who did the lift?....loosen the control arm bolts and retorque with jeep on ground maybe they were done with jeep in the air and are binding/causing issues.

Caster also seems a little low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off it's a RC lift kit, not a great start.
Second, did you have a new front Trackbar installed?
Third, new tires wont fix the problem. bigger tires may make it worse. Try reducing the tire pressure, that may help.
Forth, have all tires rechecked for balance.

True death wobble is the effect of the front differential housing being able to oscillate, generally meaning something is loose or flexing.
There are many things that can initiate death wobble such as:
High tire pressure
Improperly set control arms
Bad geometry
Weak Trackbar
Amount other things all of which are outlined in planmans documentation.

I'm running the track bar relocation bracket now BUT I have put an aftermarket one on just to see if that fixes it and it didn't.

Not sure how tire pressure would make a big different when it comes to this. I'm running 35psi all the way around currently.

I have read what seems like every write-up... checked everything. Everything looks good. Even the dealership said they have went through it all. Bit obviously something is flexing to cause it....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems minor but replace the stock tb bolts. I'll throw a few others out there just in case.

Who did the lift?....loosen the control arm bolts and retorque with jeep on ground maybe they were done with jeep in the air and are binding/causing issues.

Caster also seems a little low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I did replace the bolt with the larger one to see if that was it.. nope

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
Were all the CA's tightened with the Jeep on the ground?
Everything's torqued to specs?
Who put the lift on?
Was a drop pitman used?
Do you have a steering stabilizer on the vehicle?

I would probably loosen everything and retighten. Basically start over, it's a PITA but something is getting missed.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
First, go though the Planman article competely.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/diagnosing-death-wobble-and-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-and-wobbles-78034.html

Second, if you used a drop pitman arm, get rid of it and put the stock back on, and forget raising the track bar bracket on the axle. Get a proper length adjustable track bar. You will note in the article that the stock pitman arm is to be used and the drag link and track bar should be parallel.

You commented that the slightest bump can start it. Yes, that is a common occurrence. In fact in one post somewhere a tester commented he carried a two foot piece of a think wooden broomstick for when he ran over it it would trigger DW. DW occurs in any vehicle with front coil springs, but high lifts in Jeeps are more common.

Make sure the bolts holding the new track bar in place are the proper size and torqued to spec. If after all that, you still have the problem, review the following video on caster. I think, IIRC, that they used cam bolts, but the better way is with adjustable control arms.

Another question is with a 4" lift aren't long control arms recommended?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb3bh96FVB8

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Higher tire pressure makes the tire less able to absorb road irregularities which causes them to bounce which in turn initiates Death wobble.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First, go though the Planman article competely.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/diagnosing-death-wobble-and-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-and-wobbles-78034.html

Second, if you used a drop pitman arm, get rid of it and put the stock back on, and forget raising the track bar bracket on the axle. Get a proper length adjustable track bar. You will note in the article that the stock pitman arm is to be used and the drag link and track bar should be parallel.

You commented that the slightest bump can start it. Yes, that is a common occurrence. In fact in one post somewhere a tester commented he carried a two foot piece of a think wooden broomstick for when he ran over it it would trigger DW. DW occurs in any vehicle with front coil springs, but high lifts in Jeeps are more common.

Make sure the bolts holding the new track bar in place are the proper size and torqued to spec. If after all that, you still have the problem, review the following video on caster. I think, IIRC, that they used cam bolts, but the better way is with adjustable control arms.

Another question is with a 4" lift aren't long control arms recommended?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb3bh96FVB8
I'll go through the writup again and double check..

The drop pitman arm was deleted when the high steer kit was installed.

Small bumps do not set off the wobble. Only larger ones and i would say 40+mph. The faster i go, or the larger the bump, the more shake i get.

Currently my caster is all "green" at 3.6 left, and 3.2 right. This kit came with caster bolts that i'm running for now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, i will go through everything exactly like its explained in planman's post when i get another set of hands.

Question about the "squeeze test" on the bushings. I want to note, they are all new, i have a 2017. There is a very little play when i do the squeeze test. To check my own sanity on how much movement there should be i checked my buddies the same way. He also still has the OEM bushings and his looked exactly like mine.

SO... is it ok to have a little play? I can do a video of them when i get some assistance. Maybe tomorrow night.

·
Registered
496 Posts
People have mentioned all bolts being to the correct torque settings, but no one really emphasized it.
Do you have a GOOD torque wrench and is everything set to the proper torque, especially the trackbar bolt. The trackbar bolt not properly torqued, surprisingly seems to be the main culprit in death wobble cases.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Didn't rear the whole thread but did you try the stock steering stabilizer? Many people have had issues with aftermarket and pulling one way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Didn't rear the whole thread but did you try the stock steering stabilizer? Many people have had issues with aftermarket and pulling one way.
I have an after market single steering stabilizer.

I had someone turn the steering wheel side to side and held onto the pitman arm and the drag link. I felt some very slight movement. Then ran my hand down to the tierod. On the tierod I felt no movement at all. So... that leads me to believe it could be the bushing connecting to the pitman arm or the steering box.

Now the "movement" I was feeling is minimal and could be just the steering wheel moving back and forth. I am not sure, I would have to compare to another JK. I honestly don't think there is enough there to cause a wobble.

If I am correct that leaves nothing else to try. SMH, WHY THE F IS THIS NOT AS SIMPLE AS A BROKEN PART.

Anyway.... the dealership is saying that Chrysler is saying to take the lift off. I don't think that is the answer nor do I think that is a reasonable answer. The only components that are RC is springs, shocks and track bar relocation bracket.

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
If your 4" lift is just springs, shocks, and track bar relocation bracket is there nothing for castor correction?
Proper torque, applied while the vehicle is sitting on the ground, is key. There should be no play in the steering linkages. If all else is good I would add a little more castor. Or take the lift off and see if the problem goes away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts