Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past few months I've had this absolutely aggravating rattle somewhere behind the dash on the driver's side. Almost all of the time it manifests itself when I'm in drive and at a light. When driving I rarely hear it.

At any rate, I've pulled the dash a few times and even plumbed it with a magnet (hoping it was a bolt or something that came out) and never found anything. This morning as I was driving to the range something hit my leg and when I got a chance to pick it up it was an 8.8 bolt and washer.

It's raining today so I didn't get a chance to (once again) pull the dash to take a look but I am guessing that this is a dash to frame bolt -- it's only an 8.8 after all -- but if anyone has any ideas as to where this is likely from I would appreciate some guidance so I can at least resolve one bloody issue with this Wrangler.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm pretty sure I am experiencing the same thing. The mystery noise behind the dash started for me when I took my JKU in for that airbag recall work. Dealer gave me the JKU back with gouges in the dash when they pried the power window switch off with what looks like a flat head screwdriver, two broken clips on the dash bezel which causes my dash to leave a big gap between it and the face of the radio, and 1 missing dash storage tray screw. I cannot find a replacement dash screw anywhere and Jeep is absolutely no help. I'm betting the damn screw is rattling around behind the dash somewhere.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Picture would help although if the assembler dropped a bolt on the line he would probably not waste time getting it if it fell into neverland! I took my dryer apart yesterday to fix the belt and found a loose screw unaccounted for in the base... who knows???

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I completely forgot to update this with the resolution. It turns out that the rattle wasn't behind the dash, it was outside of the Jeep.

I have dual light pods on either side of the windshield and the driver's side pods came slightly loose and would vibrate against the assembly holding them. I wouldn't have figured it out had I not slowly driven down the street in an attempt to isolate the noise and just happened to notice a slight vibration in the pods. I reached out the window and touched one and the noise stopped.

Let me tell you, I would have sworn the damned noise was coming from behind the dash.

As for the bolt...it's sitting in the garage...no change in anything since it fell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts