Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. Either I'm obsessing over what MIGHT be the notorious tick, or I've got THE tick.

2012, 3.6L Pentastar, 40k on the odometer

Some days this ticking seems more noticeable than others. I dont seem to hear it loudly on cold starts. Actually, seem to hear it more once driven and warm upon coming to a stop. I dont hear it much from inside per say, but definitely hear it when outside. Trial and error (ear to engine) doesnt tell me if it's more prevalent on the passenger or drivers side. Am I hearing lifters?

Of course, throwing no codes. Throwing no warning lights. I've lost no power and no other signs of fault in my engine or elsewhere. Dealer will write me off and simply charge me labor for nothing.

Anyone have suggestions to quiet this noise? Experience? Remedy? If it is "the tick"...success stories from Chrysler's "free repair"? Thanks ya'll!

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
Tough call w/o actually hearing it. It could be the tick, it could be fuel injectors ticking too. It could also be your oil is played out and you're hearing some engine noise as a result. How long ago have you changed your oil? What grade oil and filter are you using?

Unfortunately without a CEL Chrysler is going to send you on your merry way. If it isn't an injector noise, next oil change I'd go with an OE filter and consider trying 5W30 oil and see if that helps.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you have the AA heads then you will get a failure! The good news is that the warranty has been extended to 150K miles. Since all 2012's were built before 7/26/12, you have the AA heads, that is unless it has been replaced. The ticking is the start of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Running 5W-30 in it currently, already thought about changing it over to a syn blend or full. I've got 2k on the current oil w/ a fram filter.

She does qualify for the Chrysler repair - checked the vin through them when I bought it originally.

Mostly just wondering what/if there is anything I can do in the interim to quiet that noise. If anyone else has had success with DIY techniques. Perhaps I'm assuming it's the dreaded tick because I'm aware the 12's had some issues with that.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'd take it in to the dealer when it's ticking warmed up. Left head had an engineering defect centered around the single exhaust port. More than "some issues" but rather an inevitable failure. Just is a matter of time before you will get the miss-fire code.

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
Running 5W-30 in it currently, already thought about changing it over to a syn blend or full. I've got 2k on the current oil w/ a fram filter.

She does qualify for the Chrysler repair - checked the vin through them when I bought it originally.

Mostly just wondering what/if there is anything I can do in the interim to quiet that noise. If anyone else has had success with DIY techniques. Perhaps I'm assuming it's the dreaded tick because I'm aware the 12's had some issues with that.
If the head is bad there is nothing you can do to quiet the noise in the interim. I would use an OE oil filter in this application, but that's just me. Swing by the dealer and have them give it a listen, and at least document it. Most people I know who had the problem got nowhere w/o a CEL. Even then typically they'd clear the code, and do the repair if the CEL went on a second time. Maybe you'll get lucky. Good luck, keep us updated.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Chrysler is replacing the followers and some lash adjusters on my 2015 at 40,000 miles due to broken cam follower rollers. I never got a code either, so I'm assuming a failed roller was causing the constant ticking. The valve was still operating well enough for the the computer to not notice anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Jason, I'm same BH from C-Carvers. Hope I don't have to deal with that same issue you discovered. I have 2, 2015 Wranglers my wife and I use heavily off the beaten path.

·
Registered
799 Posts
It's a small internet. Nice jeeps. I bought mine to offroad and drive to work daily. I've been very happy with it for everything. The engine is probably the low point, but so far only from what looks to be a longevity stand point. It's great having the horsepower and torque when I compare it to the 2007 rubicon I owned. Hopefully maintaining it will not be much of a problem considering all of the 3.6L motors out there in everything fiat chrysler builds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: Same week of posting the original thread, pulled the ole steed into the garage, drained the 5w-30 conventional out along with the fram filter. Re-oiled with Mobil 1 Full Syn and a solid Purolator PureOne filter - this gal has one happy steed. Not saying down the road it aint gonna nag still, but for now that ticking is 100% only noticeable by me and possibly a skilled mechanic with a solid stethoscope. Hopefully it'll throw the code to have it all taken care of by Chrysler down the road. Way within that covered warranty. (thank the spaghetti monster).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts