Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks! Yes, my classic Mako is my other "paycheck vampire" :)

1979 236 IB with a 2001 5.7L MPI Crusader
Nice! We have a 91' 221 with a 07' 225 yamaha. Best boats around, my buddy who i offroad with too has a 89' 221 and he's doing his fuel tank. we just cut the coffin out the other day and dug the wet foam out

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Nice! We have a 91' 221 with a 07' 225 yamaha. Best boats around, my buddy who i offroad with too has a 89' 221 and he's doing his fuel tank. we just cut the coffin out the other day and dug the wet foam out
sounds like fun! :) read thru a couple tank replaces on the ClassicMako forum. Fortunately the previous owner of mine had already done the tanks; put them back in with only foam on the corners. Gonna coal tar epoxy the new? seems like the thing everyone does.

Don

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
sounds like fun! :) read thru a couple tank replaces on the ClassicMako forum. Fortunately the previous owner of mine had already done the tanks; put them back in with only foam on the corners. Gonna coal tar epoxy the new? seems like the thing everyone does.

Don
I've read a few too, your lucky yours was already done. he is getting the tank epoxied. Im not she how he's going to foam it in this time. its either going to be certain spots or every little crevice but allowing the tank some space for pressure change. Im doing mine next winter so its a visual thread haha

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Canoe Outpost Little Manatee River, St. Pats weekend:

Our children are on spring break, so we decided to get out of town for a couple days. Loaded up and headed out.

Canoe Outpost is about 3.5 hours away..we went there by way of Arcadia so that we could stop at an exotic animal sanctuary named Lions, Tigers & Bears. Really nice folks who adopt unwanted exotic animals and care for them. They have a large menagerie consisting of lions, tiger and bears; lots of large cats like lynx, bobcats and cougars; also emus, gibbons, and more.

From there we stopped in Wauchula for lunch at a great restaurant named "Paul's Kitchen"...awesome comfort food at a great price...and as the waitress said, "if you leave here hungry, it's your own fault!"
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34717-d2222177-Reviews-Paul_s_Kitchen-Wauchula_Florida.html

The Canoe Outpost Campground is the first commercial campground I have taken my family to (usually we stay at FL State Parks). It is a nice low key family run place, and the kids had a ball playing on the riverbanks, feeding the pair of peacocks and riding their bicycles around the grounds. The weather for the five days was in the mid seventies during the day and the low 50's at night. There was a large group of around 20 families at the campground over the weekend, as well as all the other sites filled, so it was pretty busy and noisy but casual. Met quite a few nice folks there....many were interested in the trailer and camp set up so we were proud to show off our kit. The only downside to the campground is that is along the side of Hwy 301, and you can hear the traffic passing all day and night...it doesn't bother us, but others may find it distracting from 'getting back to nature'.
Canoe Outpost - Little Manatee River

The Little Manatee River was pretty low...hasn't been much rain lately there were a lot of shoals to get across...most you could paddle/push across, but a couple required us to get out and drag the yaks across. The depths were anywhere from about 4' to an inch, and the clarity was good although tannic.

We used the campground's shuttle to drop us off up river; it was about six miles of waterway and around four solid hours of paddling back to the camp's dock. Beautiful scenery, but not much in the way of wildlife...saw a pack of wild pigs and a lot of turtles, but that's about it...no gators and too shallow for manatees that far upstream...although still a lot of fun. There is a pretty cool structure for a power plant cooling water intake on Lake Parrish, and an abandoned railroad trestle bridge.

The third day, another family, (Jeep owner), we know met us there...they never camped out and wanted to learn everything they could. They stayed in one of the rental cabins at the campground and hung out with us on our site. It was also their first experience with paddle sports, and the Little Manatee River was a great place for them to try it out since it was shallow, narrow and slow moving. We spent a few hours just paddling around right in front of the campground so they could learn.

Went home on Tuesday via I-75 and across Alligator Alley..took about the same amount of time but almost twice the fuel at highway speed than it did coming there the 'back way'.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You may decide you like your box so well you never get around to putting on a fiberglass kit.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts