Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok...I'm actually embarrassed to admit this, but am interested in hearing it I'm the only one who has done this...

I love the Jeep...sure it has some things that I wish were different, etc but overall it's great. The flat fenders are perfect for placement of tools, drinks, phones etc. while working on it...

The problem is the flat fenders are also perfect for leaving tools, drinks, phones etc. while no longer working on it, bit DRIVING it.

A few months ago, while rotating my tires for the first time I put my black-cased iPhone on my black plastic fender and did my tire rotation. Afterwards, while test driving it I realized with a panicked sweat that my phone was not in it's usual place in the Jeep...and then to my horror figured I must have left it on my fender.

I got home and reluctantly admitted to my wife what I had done (after she promised not to tell our kids) and we went out on a search to find the missing phone...to my amazement it was found right in the middle of our street a few hundred yards from our house...still on, screen intact with only a few minor scratches on the case...

Fast forward a few months and YESTERDAY, I was rotating the tires, put my phone on the fender and even said to myself "don't forget it there this time, dumbass"...

....I bet you guys by now can guess what happened next...almost the identical result...only the phone was about 1/2 mile from my house...and I didn't tell my wife this time!!

Am I the only one with this issue? Is there a 12 step program perhaps?

Ps...I guess I should give a shout out to my really fancy $10 phone case...two moving vehicle exits without a broken screen or any noticeable damage to the phone is quite impressive..

Spigen Rugged Armor iPhone 7 Case with Resilient Shock Absorption and Carbon Fiber Design for iPhone 7 2016 - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GIVX7TA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_x2jIzbW6BNVTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: DimeGonzo

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Maybe not on the fenders but I can tell you stories of coffees, drinks, tools and many other things left setting on my bumpers, and driving off. I have at least been fortunate with the phone....knock on wood.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe not on the fenders but I can tell you stories of coffees, drinks, tools and many other things left setting on my bumpers, and driving off. I have at least been fortunate with the phone....knock on wood.

Yeah..the bumpers are just as bad... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I did that once on my bumper. Rubber mallet to persuade my swaybar disconnects off and left it on the bumper. After a little offroading (must have been some mild stuff) I noticed it was sitting on the bumper still. Oops.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have lost a few "coffee" mugs but I don't put my phone anywhere near the fender or bumper. I want to yell at my kids with a clear conscious when something happens to theirs

I did have it fall out of a suit jacket getting in one day that got run over a few times but survived....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Yep - bumper issues as well. Long wrenching session on the Jeep on a hot summer day and pulled out with a pint of beer, ratchet wrench, and pile of nuts & washers on the front bumper...

One less pint glass in the cupboard (and embarrassing street clean up), all tools recovered, One critical nut MIA (requiring a Lowe's run) then found on the neighbors sidewalk 5-weeks later after it crawled out of the grass.

Flat fenders would be a disaster for my tool collection.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It's not just a Jeep thing. I lost a nice ratchet, extension, and socket by leaving it on the back bumper of my old Ranger.

Luckily the Jeep has only claimed a few cans and bottles of Diet Coke at this point.

One 20 oz. bottle of Diet Coke that I sat on the front bumper, actually rode with me about 30 miles on a twisty mountain road because it slid back and found a "cradle" in one of the grille slots. I noticed it after filling up with gas and going in the station to buy myself a Diet Coke!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Introducing: The Bubble Jeep (also known as The BJ.)

• All curves
  • No flat surfaces

It would also be the perfect gift. What guy wouldn't want to get a BJ from a loved one.

:whistling:

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Hell.... Flat fenders, bumpers, inside open hood, roof... I've left shit everywhere and drove off at one time or another. Nature of the beast.
Only people who don't are the ones that never do anything.....

Think of all the excitement you'd be missing if you haven't seen your phone (or Cat) on the hood at 70mph :eek:

·
Registered
678 Posts
I found a wrench inside my stock bumper - about three weeks after I had put it there. Sucker still hadn't fallen out!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Din't leave them on the fenders but left my tools and nuts for the doors on my cowl the first time I took my doors off. Got back my wrench and the torx that was in it, and all my nuts. Lost all the rest of the kit that came with the jeep.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Back when I was a teen, I "prep'ed" the family car for a long vacation trek to Florida, and back. I accidently left a screwdriver under the hood, and believe it or not, it was still there upon our return. Matter of fact, finding the screwdriver later, is how I realized I had left it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Haven't been guilty of leaving anything on the bumpers/fenders thus far (knock on wood) but this reminds me of a real bone-headed move I made once that almost ruined my day.

Was working on my jeep in the garage and had my tailgate fully opened. Forget it was open as I quickly backed out of the garage. While backing out I noticed the "gate" display on my dash. Slammed on the brakes but the ass end was already outside the garage. Said to myself "holy shit what did I just do...or almost do I should say. I walked around to the back of my jeep to find that my 315 spare tire had missed slamming into the garage by what must have been a fraction of a millimeter. I mean it was that close that it blew my mind how there was no contact whatsoever.

Not sure which would've lost that battle, the jeep or the garage (most likely the jeep) but man was I happy I didn't find out!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Worst one I did was to a Plymouth Valiant.

Swapped out the battery and left the wrench on the engine.

Fired it up, closed the hood. As soon as I stepped on the gas, the wrench fell into the fixed ( no clutch) metal fan and dented the underside of the hood upwards. :facepalm:
No fixing the hood without major body work and the fan was FUBAR too.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Worst one I did was to a Plymouth Valiant.

Swapped out the battery and left the wrench on the engine.

Fired it up, closed the hood. As soon as I stepped on the gas, the wrench fell into the fixed ( no clutch) metal fan and dented the underside of the hood upwards. :facepalm:
I almost did that with a breaker bar and the harmonic balancer on my Ranger.

Almost.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Ewww! That's bad. I once closed the hood of something (I think it was an old mid-eighties Bonneville or maybe a Century) with a can of freon sitting atop the air cleaner or valve cover or something. Made a beautiful little top-o-can-shaped reverse dimple in that hood and I never got it fixed and it bugged the CRAP out of me for two years. :(

Corbusier, it gets worse if you change out to actual flat fenders, which have zero slope to the outside or back, and as such are perfect places to set big collections of tools, meters, lights, iPads, etc. Happily, the only time I drove off was when I'd left a 13mm wrench on the right front, and it clanged off in my driveway where I could hear it. Knew instantly what I'd done.

But I'm paranoid about it now and do a thorough walkaround before driving.

Reactions: Incognito_

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a flat magnet on the back my otter box case.
it tends to stay on my bumpers etc when i forget and leave it.
my mount is just a piece of flat steel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts