Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First off, thanks for the great info on every topic imaginable. Having searched the forum countless times, I’ve finally signed up.

Last weekend, I swapped out the stock wheels on my 2012. New rims and tires all around. Had them installed professionally.

On the drive home, developed a nasty speed wobble from 45- 55ish. Clears at about 60 and clears when I’m under 45. Balance issue?

Also, I knew it going in that I’d have the TPMS light with this setup. Also a slight size difference. Any suggestions on the chip device to clear that out / calibrate wheels?

·
Registered
804 Posts
First thing I would do is remove the wheels and make sure that the rotor retaining clips were removed. The factory places a retainer clip, looks similar to a washer, on the wheel studs to hold the rotors in place during assembly. The factory wheels are machines to clear these retainers, but most aftermarket wheels will not clear them. This can cause the wheel to not seat properly against the hub face. If the retainers have already been removed, I would go back to the installer to have the balance rechecked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Are your new wheels hub centric or lug centric. Tires are balanced using the hub. If they are lug centric you can get a ring to hub center the rim. You might need to have them road force balanced. That requires a special machine.

Reactions: Lemotan

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
First thing I would do is remove the wheels and make sure that the rotor retaining clips were removed. The factory places a retainer clip, looks similar to a washer, on the wheel studs to hold the rotors in place during assembly. The factory wheels are machines to clear these retainers, but most aftermarket wheels will not clear them. This can cause the wheel to not seat properly against the hub face. If the retainers have already been removed, I would go back to the installer to have the balance rechecked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Odds are, they forgot to remove the retaining clips.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Please tell us the specs of your new rims and tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the Dick Cepek Torque rims in 18x8.5

For tires, I picked the Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 255 70 18

Timing sucks for getting back to the tire shop until mid week. Gonna check for the retainers and maybe rotate today to see if it’s a balance issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also, I knew it going in that I’d have the TPMS light with this setup. Also a slight size difference. Any suggestions on the chip device to clear that out / calibrate wheels?
Regarding the TPMS light, if have sensors in your new wheels if so it should read them after a short drive. If you don't have the sensors I think you are stuck with the light being on. As for adjusting for your new tire size you can use something like ProCal or JScan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For shame. I didn’t read the sticky thread carefully. Those damn retainers made all the difference. The guys at the shop were shocked when I told them what it was. They sure were a pain to remove. Didn’t Sammy Hagar once say something about driving at 55? Well, I can do that now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regarding the TPMS light, if have sensors in your new wheels if so it should read them after a short drive. If you don't have the sensors I think you are stuck with the light being on. As for adjusting for your new tire size you can use something like ProCal or JScan.
The light is on! At least it just dings once and shuts up.

·
Premium Member
7,157 Posts
I am surprised that the tire shop did not mention the lack of TPMS sensors when they mounted the wheels. Since the wheels were new, they had to install valve stems. The wheel tire pressure sensors are attached to a valve stem (one piece) which most fully equipped tire shops would have (at a price). The least they could have done was mention the lack of sensors being installed on that new of a vehicle.

After all, the Wrangler was late to that feature.

Since your rotors still had the clips, that means they are the original that were still installed after 7 years, must not have too many miles on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For the TPMS light, check out the jscan app. In the Adaptations section, it lets you enable and disable TPMS all together. When I bought my Jeep, the previous owner had TPMS disabled. There was no warning light and the tires all read 0 PSI in the EVIC. I used jscan to reenable TPMS and adjust the target pressure to the range I wanted.

So to be clear, I have only used jscan to re-enable TPMS but if you want, I can confirm that it can also fully disable it for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts