Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Well, kinda sorta ok but I wouldn't consider that little amount he did to have cleaned much more than the throttle body's butterfly valve plate. I clean that plate first but after that, I start the engine and while keeping the rpms up a tad, empty the rest of the can down the throttle body. The engine may tend to stumble a few times so if it does, just slow down on the rate you're spraying the cleaner into the TB and/or raise the engine rpms up just a tad more.

Also, don't forget that one of the areas of the throttle body that tends to get dirty and cause idle problems is the IAC (Idle Air Controller) that is mounted on the side of the throttle body closest to the valve cover. There is a slot just above the butterfly valve plate that sucks air for IAC when the engine is idling (only then) which will benefit from the throttle body cleaner. That slot only sucks air (and the TB cleaner) when the engine is at or near idle rpms so try to squirt some of the cleaner into the IAC's intake slot and then let the engine rpms drop enough so that slot will suck the cleaner into it and into the IAC area that gets gunked up which causes idle problems.

There's not really anything you can hurt by spraying the cleaner while the engine is running and if the engine stumbles and dies, just restart it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Saved myself the money and time on changing a fuel pump in my car, as everyone thought that was my issue, just by doing this!!

The way Jerry said how to do it is dead on too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts