Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

After my five miserable years away from a Jeep, I picked up a dirt cheap (for here at least) salvage/rebuild 2010 JKU Sport.

This will be a slow, boring thread, as it’s more for me than anyone else... with parts so ridiculously expensive here, and a very limited budget, this could take at least 10 years!

Priority at the moment is to get vitals stabilized, and Groot/BahamaBlue out of the ICU.

Current state: Front diff completely shot. Axle housing slightly bent. Hardtop cracked in numerous places (it rolled).

Work to date:

- Replaced tie rods
- Replaced draglink
- Replaced ball joints
- Replaced rear brakes
- Touched up endless nicks in paint work

Just for dress up:

- Blacked out rims and grille emblem
- Added spacers
- Replaced radio with a Kenwood CarPlay system (wife needed to me to reachable by phone. I don’t argue with wife)

Priorities:

- Finding a new Dana 30 front axle assembly with 3.73’s
- Dropping that and a new driveshaft into place to get back to 4WD

Less important:

- Leveling kit
- 33’s

Future: who knows! Soft top, half doors, shock upgrade (there’s no real trails on the island, but our roads are bad enough to make a wheeler weep!)

On the name, I want Groot (Groot can come back to life), my 12yr old daughter not so much. It’s ‘our’ Jeep, as she cried for two days when I sold my red ‘99, so her input is always considered.

Enough for now. Axle hunting I shall go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not much I can do til I get a replacement axle housing found, bought and shipped here, so today was a few simple tweaks

- Upgraded soundbar with Kicker speakers (definite imporvement on stock, but going to try the polyfil addition too when I can find some)

- Cheap LED headlight/foglight upgrade (JW Speaker Evos would have cost me about $1400 to get here, so not an option!

- More work on the endless task of hiding as much shiny chrome shit as possible!

Now time for a beer.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome! This will be a fun build to see over time.

Did you plasti-dip the emblem and badge? I'm trying to decide what to do with mine..

Good luck!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome! This will be a fun build to see over time.

Did you plasti-dip the emblem and badge? I'm trying to decide what to do with mine..

Good luck!!

Cheers - it’ll be a slow build, but I’ll get there,

And yes to plastidip. Rims too. The stuff is kinda awesome!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Nice Jeep

I was going to ask why not find a D44, then I see you are in the Bahamas? What island?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Jeep

I was going to ask why not find a D44, then I see you are in the Bahamas? What island?

In Nassau.

No one here capable of regearing, so I figure I’ll rebuild stock, and truss/gusset for future.

Definitely a challenge Jeeping here!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I visit New Providence 2 times a year, absolutely love it there. The only places I can think of being able to Jeep there is the southwest side of the island. Where can you go?

I look forward to seeing your build.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I visit New Providence 2 times a year, absolutely love it there. The only places I can think of being able to Jeep there is the southwest side of the island. Where can you go?

I look forward to seeing your build.

Yeah, there’s not a whole lot of wheeling to be done here, but once I get him all fixed up, might be a trip or two over to Eleuthera on the cards - used to take my YJ over there in Pre-kid days!

Holler when you’re visiting - I actually live in the south west (well, as west as you can be without being a millionaire!). I’ll. It the beers!

(This morning’s trip with the doggits)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah, there’s not a whole lot of wheeling to be done here, but once I get him all fixed up, might be a trip or two over to Eleuthera on the cards - used to take my YJ over there in Pre-kid days!

Holler when you’re visiting - I actually live in the south west (well, as west as you can be without being a millionaire!). I’ll. It the beers!

(This morning’s trip with the doggits)

Just booked tickets for October 7th - 11th. We stay at West Wind 2 on cable beach(next to Melia). I will message you when we get closer.
:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you need me to smuggle a few small parts in, let me know.

Reactions: bahamasjk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just booked tickets for October 7th - 11th. We stay at West Wind 2 on cable beach(next to Melia). I will message you when we get closer.
:beerdrinking:
Awesome! My office/photography studio is at Sandyport, so that's easy!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Another milestone in my rebuild... (not build out, still just a rebuild!)

Worked with @dark_raptor to buy his Dana30 and get it shipped over to The Bahamas.

Stripped it down, replaced ball joints, and this weekend finally got round to making the switch.

In a single car garage half full of my wife's really important 'stuff', it wasn't an easy job, but with the help of a couple of friends, managed to fight it into place.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a 13mm 12 point socket anywhere on the island to free the unit bearings (island life!), so have had to forgo dropping in the axle shafts and driveshaft til next weekend, when I should have one shipped in.

Followed up with an alignment yesterday, and with a few tweaks, all came back green.

Next weekend - the shafts and driveshaft go in, then I find out if the transfer case got damaged in Groot's accident prior to me buying him.

Baby steps...

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
I will be in Nassau on October 7th, do you need anything brought down?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will be in Nassau on October 7th, do you need anything brought down?
Missed this one - sorry!!!!

You think you might be able to fit a set of brake hoses in a bag some where? I can order them and ship them to you (PM me an address).

Gotta get mine replaced in next couple of weeks, so makes sense to upgrade from stock.

Dealership here wants $110 *each side* for front.

Your call, but either way, there's a beer with your name on it (and whomever is with you) at the bar/restaurant 20 feet from my office!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Missed this one - sorry!!!!

You think you might be able to fit a set of brake hoses in a bag some where? I can order them and ship them to you (PM me an address).

Gotta get mine replaced in next couple of weeks, so makes sense to upgrade from stock.

Dealership here wants $110 *each side* for front.

Your call, but either way, there's a beer with your name on it (and whomever is with you) at the bar/restaurant 20 feet from my office!
Pm sent

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tricky times lately, so zero funds to do anything other than replace my stock decals.

Designed this and had a local sign maker cut for me. Kiddo helped with putting on.

Groot finally has an official name.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, and a huge thanks to @XAMfed, who came to my rock with braided brake lines for me.

Not only a master smuggler, but an all round good guy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts