Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My name is Dan Grec, you could say I am a bit of an Overlanding enthusiast with Jeeps.

A few years back I drove my bone-stock 4-banger TJ from Alaska to Argentina and had the time of my life. The expedition wound up being 40,000 miles through 16 countries over two years.
Expedition overview here: Expedition Overview | The Road Chose Me

After years of planning, saving and dreaming, I have built my 2011 JKUR into a house on wheels to drive all the way around Africa.
The plan is to cover 30 or so countries over the course of 2 years. It should be roughly 80,000 miles.

It's probably the most heavily modified JK for overlanding ever built, with a pop-up roof, solar panels, dual batteries, fridge, drinking water tank, filtration and pump setup and custom interior cabinets and storage.
And those mods are just the beginning.
To see the full list of mods and the reasons for why, see here: The Jeep | The Road Chose Me

My Africa expedition is going great, I have just driven into Gabon, country number 14 in West Africa after just over 14,000 miles.
The trip generated some controversy here on WF... see this thread that I am now updating as I move around. I have something like 22 more countries to explore in something like 18 more months.

You can see an overview of the whole expedition on my website here: Africa Expedition Overview | The Road Chose Me

This shows my planned vs. actual route so far:

You can follow my adventure on my website and across social media (links in sig)

Fire away with any questions you have and I'll be happy to help in any way I can!

-Dan

·
Registered
423 Posts
Who cares what others think, your comfortable doing it and that is all that matters. Personally I'm jealous as hell and would love to do your original trek, even expand on it more going back through Brazil and up into Canada. Im going to enjoy reading about the adventures.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I'm jealous as hell and would love to do your original trek, even expand on it more going back through Brazil and up into Canada. Im going to enjoy reading about the adventures.
No need to be jealous, start saving, dreaming and planning and you really can do it too.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you make it happen!

-Dan

·
Registered
103 Posts
+1 on enjoying the blog, love reading your updates!

How do you handle routine maintenance? Oil changes, that type of thing? Any issues with the quality of gas along the way? Are you happy with the Jeep and mods, anything you would have done differently?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 on enjoying the blog, love reading your updates!

How do you handle routine maintenance? Oil changes, that type of thing? Any issues with the quality of gas along the way? Are you happy with the Jeep and mods, anything you would have done differently?
Thanks!

1. I'm doing all the maintenance myself, with tools and spares I have with me. I recently did a big round of repairs/maintenance/upgrades, you can read about it here: http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?m=16482&l=1#{"issue_id":407377,"page":48}

2. The Jeep had a few hard starts in Cameroon, which I suspect was from the bad gas in Nigeria and Cameroon (I saw sludge in a clear bottle I put it into for my stove....).
Now back to running great.

3. The Jeep and mods have been brilliant. If anything, I wish it was lighter.. though I have no idea how I would do that - I use everything.

-Dan

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've enjoyed following your blog and drooling over your Ursa Minor J30 setup. Keep up the great work! Safe travels!
Ha! Thanks very much!
I drooled over the J30 for many years too, while saving my backside off to do this expedition.

Let me know if you have any questions about my setup, or expeditions!

-Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts