Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (Summary and details of the trip on my website The Road Chose Me)

It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure:

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more.

The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build:
JPFreek Adventure Magazine Spring 2015 Page 116

Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: New Jeep. New Adventure. Africa | The road chose me

I'll be posting regular updates on the build and the trip here.

I hope you'll join me for the ride.

-Dan

·
Retired Mod
11,132 Posts
Sweet!

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Well, to say that isimpressive may be a slight understatement....

Safe travels, these are interesting days to be "traveling" solo the African Continent. Be Safe.

I imagine your cupholders get quite a workout :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't forget the rubber snake!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Really, really cool. I will be following your journey for sure.

I have a work friend who I believe is still in his shakedown phase of a trip from South Africa up to Egypt. He's using a modified Landcruiser, but he's mentioned he would have liked to do it in a Wrangler. It came down to vehicle and parts availability, plus bush mechanic familiarity with the Toyota. I personally think you'll do great with the Jeep.

After watching Ewan MacGregor's Long Way Down I've envied anyone who gets to do a journey like this.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is an awesome trip and I'll be following your update.
I have a trip on my mind after I retire but that is another story........
Have a safe trip.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (Summary and details of the trip on my website The Road Chose Me)

It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure:

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more.

The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build:
JPFreek Adventure Magazine Spring 2015 Page 116

Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: New Jeep. New Adventure. Africa | The road chose me

I'll be posting regular updates on the build and the trip here.

I hope you'll join me for the ride.

-Dan
Incredible to say the least. If it were simply a matter of crossing the various nations it would be one thing. But to go through the legalities, THAT would be the ultimate challenge. I bid you much Tera pleasure and wish you a safe and exciting adventure. :beerdrinking:I'll have a pint to you Sir!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Incredible to say the least. If it were simply a matter of crossing the various nations it would be one thing. But to go through the legalities, THAT would be the ultimate challenge.
It's not as difficult as you might think.
I will write about the entire process so that others can follow in my footsteps, and again I will document all the logistics on WikiOverland, the encyclopedia of Overland travel

I bid you much Tera pleasure and wish you a safe and exciting adventure. :beerdrinking:I'll have a pint to you Sir!
Thankyou!

-Dan

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Everyone, My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (Summary and details of the trip on my website The Road Chose Me) It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure: Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more. The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine. Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: JPFreek Adventure Magazine Spring 2015 Page 116 Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: New Jeep. New Adventure. Africa | The road chose me I'll be posting regular updates on the build and the trip here. I hope you'll join me for the ride. -Dan
Dan, Good luck too you!!!!

My wife and I are planing for the same trip. We site surveyed South Africa for the same trip Egypt. We found that the LR Defender was easier than the Wrangler... Although the wrangler is our top vehicle. We would start in Durban though. Our start point:

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Good Luck with your trip, you might not have noticed, but they are killing white people in Africa. To add to that, the idiot in the White House added that they can now sell you back to your family.

Scary times where you are heading...always be aware of your surroundings and never let your guard down.
We call it "Situational Awareness"
Good Luck and stay diligent .

·
Registered
216 Posts
It sounds like an incredible adventure. I'm envious! I'll definitely be following your journey on your website. Thanks for sharing it with us!

·
Registered
257 Posts
This sounds like a blast! Good luck and be safe. Can't wait to follow the trip.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Hey, Dan!
Glad you found this forum. Hang around and tell more tales.
There's an Overlanding thread on here somewhere...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

So are you independentley wealthy? Google/Facebook/DuPont?
I've been saving every single penny I possibly can for the last 4 years working full time.
No cell phone, no TV, no eating out, no new clothes, driving a $450 car, riding my bike to work, etc. etc.

I went from $0 in savings to enough to do this trip in the 4 years, so I'll live off my savings for the duration.

-Dan

1 - 20 of 137 Posts