Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 436 Posts

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks. I just picked up my first Jeep, a new 2015 JKURHR in Baja Yellow. Given the color is more of a gold than a yellow, and given the "Rubicon" trim, I've christened it the "The Rube Goldberg Machine" or Rube Goldberg for short.

In case you are a youngster that did not get a proper education in the subject of history, a Rube Goldberg Machine is a contraption, invention, device or apparatus that is deliberately over-engineered to perform a simple task in a complicated fashion. I feel it will be an appropriate name for this vehicle once done.

This thread is going to go pretty slowly at first, but I hope it will at least go steadily. I'm not going to get into the lift and tires until last, as I think it's better practice to learn to "wheel it stock" and then upgrade the suspension and tires for the type of wheeling I prefer.

Vehicle Information and Specs:
  • 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
  • Customer Preferred Package 23J (basically the Hard Rock package with 6-speed manual transmission and premium black Sunrider soft top)
  • Max Tow Package
  • Supplemental Front Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
  • Air Conditioning with Automatic Temperature Control
  • Engine Block Heater
  • Uconnect 730N
My "To Do" list so far is as follows:
  • JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J LED Headlights
  • JW Speaker 6145 J Series LED Fog Lights (considering)
  • Mopar soft top boot
  • Stubby Antenna
  • Mopar cargo area slush mat
  • Mopar hood lock
  • Wheel locks (mainly for spare on back)
  • Grille insert (Rugged Ridge or JWM)
  • Maximus-3 bumper hoop (undecided between 10A style and Stinger)
  • WARN 9.5CTI-S Winch
  • TeraFlex or Maximus-3 tire carrier (leaning toward TeraFlex)
  • MetalCloak Game Changer RockSport Edition 3.5" Suspension Lift
  • Heavy duty ball joints and c-gussets
  • 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs on stock Rubicon wheels with 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers
  • License plate delete and relocation to center of spare
  • Full skids (Off-Road Evolution, etc. to add to or replace factory skids)
  • Steering modifications as necessary (high-steer setup with flipped draglink, steering stabilizer, steering attenuator, etc. - all of this is TBD after the lift)
Today I checked the first item off that list... The JWS 8700 Evo J LED Headlights. Picked them up at a local distributor for a good deal and will be installing later today.

I'll put up some "before" pics in a bit, and then some more when I finish the headlight install.

Stay tuned, sorry for the snail's pace!

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picking Rube Goldberg Up... Goodbye Lana

A few pics from the day I said goodbye to Lana and hello to Rube Goldberg...

A long drive home, Rube Goldberg is finally in the garage...

Giving Rube Goldberg a little sun with the top down...

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Modification 1: JW Speaker Model 8700 Evolution J LED Headlight Install

First Mod: JW Speaker Model 8700 Evolution J LED Headlights. Safety first! These things seriously made SUCH a difference driving at night. I wish I had them on my 4 hour night drive back home from the dealership.

For the Atlanta area folks out there... Picked these up from the guys at The Retrofit Source for a pretty good deal. They got me out the door lower than Quadratec (Quadratec would have been $720 OTD... Free shipping, no sales tax to GA).

I cannot say enough about how much of an improvement these headlights are over stock. Are they the best things out there? No. But, for the money... definitely the best value, in my opinion.

A few pics of the lights before the install...

Step 1: Open the hood...

Step 2: Do everything else...

I was planning on taking more detailed photos during the install process to show the step-by-step, but the girlfriend came out and started distracting me.

But, honestly, the install of the Evo Js couldn't be any easier... open the hood, pull back the grill, undo the retention rings and pull out the factory lights, plug the Evo Js into the factory harness (no anti-flicker harness required), screw in the retention rings, pop the grill back in and aim them. Might be easier to aim with the grill still loose though for easier access.

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mod 2: Stubby Antenna from AntennaX!

I wanted to get rid of the factory antenna and go with something shorter, and blacker.

After a failed attempt at installing an antenna from AllSales Manufacturing (the correct adapter is not included), I returned the AllSales Manufacturing antenna in favor of one "The Shorty" from Antenna X in the 21" length.

Honestly, this mod was more for aesthetics and less for function. I barely (if ever) listen to AM/FM radio (I either stream Bluetooth from my iPhone or use SAT), and I haven't tested the AM/FM reception since the installation a few days ago, so I can't comment on reception (and honestly, I don't really care because I haven't listened to AM/FM in years in my own vehicle).

The shorter, more rigid antenna should also keep it from whipping around into the windshield. I like the looks, and the height, but if I find it gets in the way on the trail, I'll probably opt for the shorter, flexible 13" option that AntennaX offers.

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Build Sheet Updates

I think I'm going to add the Rugged Ridge Hurricane Flat Fender Flares to the build sheet, and I am leaning toward the WARN 9.5CTI-S because I've read that it will drop into the HR bumper without having to relocate the vacuum pump and without having to cut the bumper.

I was looking at the Zeon series, but unless someone can give me a compelling argument in favor of the Zeon series over the 9.5CTI-S that makes it worth relocating the vacuum pump and cutting the bumper, I think I'll stick with the 9.5CTI-S.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks good!!

I'd be interested to see how the Evo J's throw on a wall or out on the road.

Considering these as one of my first few upgrades once I find my JKUR.

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good!! I'd be interested to see how the Evo J's throw on a wall or out on the road. Considering these as one of my first few upgrades once I find my JKUR.
They don't throw much different from the Evolutions. Do a search on the forum and you'll find what you're looking for. Beam pattern for regular Evos here: http://www.jkowners.com/tech/lights/

I'll try to get a shot of mine this weekend if I can

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took care of a couple of easy "mods" this weekend

Picked up the Mopar soft top boot, the rear cargo area slush mat (to match the slush mats up front) and some Mopar door sills at the dealer this weekend when I was having the transmission fluid level checked (it was low, with only 500 miles on the Jeep... check your fluids from the factory people)...

Threw the cargo mat in the back, and put the soft top boot on for the weekend since it was nice and I had the top laid back all weekend.

Doing a thorough detail this coming weekend (weather permitting)... Want to get it washed, clayed, waxed before the winter gets here (and it also hasn't been cleaned since my 4 hour night drive from Savannah to Atlanta on which I pressed a whole phylum of insects to the windshield.

Once I have a clean surface, I'm going to put the door sills on as well as maybe some other decals. and I'll remove the HR bumper end caps as well.

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked up the Mopar soft top boot, the rear cargo area slush mat (to match the slush mats up front) and some Mopar door sills at the dealer this weekend when I was having the transmission fluid level checked (it was low, with only 500 miles on the Jeep... check your fluids from the factory people)... Threw the cargo mat in the back, and put the soft top boot on for the weekend since it was nice and I had the top laid back all weekend. Doing a thorough detail this coming weekend (weather permitting)... Want to get it washed, clayed, waxed before the winter gets here (and it also hasn't been cleaned since my 4 hour night drive from Savannah to Atlanta on which I pressed a whole phylum of insects to the windshield. Once I have a clean surface, I'm going to put the door sills on as well as maybe some other decals. and I'll remove the HR bumper end caps as well.
Picture of the soft top boot. Man that was a pain to get on the first time around.

Attachments

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The newest mod have arrived!

Welp folks, the newest mods have arrived!

What are they, you ask?

A 3.5" MetalCloak Game Changer suspension lift?!?!?!? Nope :(

315/70R17 Duratracs?!?!?!?! Nope :(

Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers?!?!?!?!?! Nope :(

CAR WASH SUPPLIES!

Yes, I know. It's a cardinal sin to wash your Jeep. Hell, some of you out there might not even know what "wash your Jeep" means. Well, for those of you out there that don't... Think of it as a shower, but for your Jeep.

Now... I went a little overboard ordering off of AutoGeek.net, and I went a little high end... but, I want to build a good base to protect my paint because I'm plan to have this Jeep for a long time.

Here's what I got:
  • CarPro Wool Wash Mitt
  • Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo
  • Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay & Clay Lubricant
  • Pinnacle Liquid Gloss Rinseless Wash (for interior paint, like the lip around the cargo area, inside the doors, etc. where I don't want to spray a hose)
  • Klasse All In One polish
  • Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze paint sealent
  • Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax
  • Mothers Leather Cleaner
  • Mothers Leather Conditioner
  • 303 Aerospace Protectant (for exterior plastics)
  • 303 Fabric Convertible Top Kit - Includes cleaner and fabric guard (for cleaning, protecting and restoring water resistance to soft top)
  • RaggTopp Natural Horse Hair Brush (for cleaning soft top and applying fabric guard)
  • Plexus Plastic Cleaner (for soft top windows - testing against Novus)
  • Novus Plastic Polish Kit / 1,2,3 system (for soft top windows - testing against Plexus)
  • 8 Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels
  • Cobra Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel
Other products that I use include:
  • Synthetic Chamois (Water Sprite and Absorber)
  • Simple Green
  • California Water Blade
  • Rain-X
I figured I would post this up in case anyone is looking for supplies to either clean their Jeep or even clean the soft top.

Winter is coming, as the Starks say, and some of you need some paint protection!

With my BMW 335i that I traded for the Jeep, I always used Turtle Wax products (Zip Wax Wash Shampoo, Carnauba Wax), but being that the Jeep is brand new and I want to baby it for a bit and start it out right, I figured I would go a little more high end.

I may eventually switch to try some other products that also are well rated (Chemical Guys JetSeal and Wax, etc.). Maybe I'll even switch back to Turtle Wax... Not sure.

If anyone has any questions about any of the products I've listed above, feel free to ask! I'll try to get back to you once I have a chance to use them!

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the Mopar hood lock installed... By the dealer... For FREE! (Was picking up girlfriend's Grand Cherokee from the shop and didn't have a rivet gun to do the install myself, they popped it in and said have a nice day!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice to see another Jeep owner that takes proper care of his paint, I thought I was the only one. Just ran into a post where a guy wipes his jeep down with Pledge after every wash lol

1 - 20 of 436 Posts