Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for wheels since the day I ordered and can't find anything I like that fits a JK. Centerline has some wheels that should look great on one, but they're all the early bolt pattern even though they say they fit all Wranglers. If only the Moabs were 9" wide with 4.5" back spacing my search would be over. Anybody got any suggestions? My only real requirements are 17x9 with 5 spokes, 4.5" (or less) backspacing, and not painted black.

So far the XD Crank in chrome is the only thing in the race, but if it comes down to that one I'll probably just keep the stockers and deal with having a narrower tire and spacers.

Anybody had their stock wheels widened? It would have to be all added on the back half of the wheel and would require a thick spacer to work, so this probably isn't a viable option.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's one that I had looked at, but it suffered because they used to offer the 1023 which was almost the same except the spokes were solid instead of having slots and the 1023 is discontinued.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
If you plan on wheeling much, I would advise against the chrome. Wheels are very much a personal decision, but ones I would defintely look into are:
XD Addicts
AEV Pintlers
XD Monsters
MB72s
Level 8 Strike 5
Rugged Ridge

And, if you are made of money, some Hutchinson Rock Monsters.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My two favorite wheels for the JK. Not chrome and not polished. Not to shiny. Machine surface. May buy a set if I ever decide on what JK I want.
Method Racing

Black Rhino

·
Registered
448 Posts
mgaspard said:
My two favorite wheels for the JK. Not chrome and not polished. Not to shiny. Machine surface. May buy a set if I ever decide on what JK I want.
Method Racing

Black Rhino
Do you knw by chance how much those second wholes run for?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ideas guys. Most of them I've already checked out, but there's a few possibilities there. I looked long and hard at the Mambas and AEVs. The Mambas are just too close to stock width. If they were 8.5 or 9 inches wide it would be a no brainer to go with them, but to only gain 1/2" in width over stock and change the backspacing I would just get some spacers and save $800. I'm not sure I could look at the AEVs without thinking of a 98-02 V6 Camaro sitting in the trailer park with the T-tops off.

The Level 8 is leading the charge now, but after looking at the Pro Comp again I'm liking it now. How is the quality on the Level 8? I like the price and I like that DTD carries them so I can get the tires mounted and balanced then shipped ready to install.

I actually considered the Hutchinsons, but there seems to be some question about their legality for street use here. I'm not too exited about spending $2000 on a set of wheels, but if it's a good investment it doesn't bother me. I'd have to spend an extra $200 for new short to replace the ones I soil every time I think about the cost.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh....I doubt it will see a lot of off roading, and definitely nothing very extreme. We will probably hit a Jamboree or two and take it fishing. Other than that it's main purpose is to keep us from being stranded in the neighborhood when it snows. And my wife likes Jeeps, so even if it never sees dirt it's money well spent.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I ordered a set of Pro Comp 1028s today. Found them online for less than $200/each shipped. Now just have to find tires to wrap them in.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm really glad you suggested that I look at them again. When they discontinued the 1023 I wrote off everything else they had because I liked the 23 so much, but after waiting a couple of weeks and going back to look again the 28 is about as close as I can get to perfect.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D I don't know how BRIGHT the polish is, but

I'm really glad you suggested that I look at them again. When they discontinued the 1023 I wrote off everything else they had because I liked the 23 so much, but after waiting a couple of weeks and going back to look again the 28 is about as close as I can get to perfect.
I'm sure it's the same alloy used in my Procomp 8089s and they are "Brushed"-

Aluminum alloy will oxidize in "X" years--not as good as polished Stainless Steel, but I imagine they put a clear coat on top of the polish !!

Believe it or don't, but I've got several polished Stainless Steel plates I used to build a Pantera over 25 years ago and they still have the same "high gloss" finish-

I like polished SS better than dbl chrome, but those PC 1028s are gonna look good !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It doesn't look all that shiny to me either, almost powder coated, which would be OK with me. I actually found a pic of them on a silver Jeep and they look great. I think I'm gonna wrap them in 285/70/17 Wrangler MT/R Kevlars. I think I could do better on tires for both all around use and price, but my wife thinks the Kevlars look cool and I'm sure they'll take us anywhere we want to go.

I just hope they last better than the last set of wheels I bought. I got some machined and clear coated wheels for my truck probably 4 years ago and they looked awesome for about 2 years. Then we got our first snow storm and after 3 or 4 days of salty roads they turned to crap overnight. I guess I can't complain, they were only $85 each.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked at those, but they remind me too much of this:

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Those look nothing alike lol.

And good beadlocks don't have a need for safety issues as long as you know the risks associated with the locks. If youre up for the work of having beadlocks then they are perfect. If you don't then dont say they are bad, just because you dont want them. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts