Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't blessed with the 6'2", tall dark and handsome genes... instead I got the short, pasty white, and chunky genes. I'm 5'8", but unfortunately my father passed on his really long torso, and short duck like legs.

I have the OEM side steps, but they aren't exactly useful. If I use them to get in, once I stand on them, the top of the Jeep is about at my waist, which then means that I have to kinda bend forward between the door and the frame to get seated properly. And when getting out, if I step up on them, its then a pretty long step backwards to the ground.

Is there a happy medium somewhere? Because this rolling over and sliding out of the Jeep is going to wear my seats out prematurely. And if I end up putting any kind of lift on it, and bigger tires its going to be even worse.

I like the look of the side steps, but they just aren't very functional being so close to the body.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I got a short inseam too. The OEM Sahara step doesn't work for stepping for me, but it does seem to provide considerable gravel protection to the side.

With 18" wheels, if I step wide enough, I manage to adroitly slip my nether-cheeks into the seat without too much friction on anything.

Stepping out requires a little more extension of the left leg if avoiding rubbing the back of the calf on that same step. Sometimes I shift sideways left a few inches before making that move.

Going toward 47000 miles now, my 08JK doesn't show any seat wear.

I have considered removing the running board entirely for something more functional, but have yet to spot what might actually be improvement on all levels of concern.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The first thing I thought about after I got into and out of my newly lifted Jeep was how quickly I'm going to wear my seats.

I have the cloth, so I should have considerably longer life than the leather, but when getting out, I pretty much just turn to the opening and slide out.

My 35" tires plus 2.5" RK lift (which netted closer to 4" of lift) leaves the Jeep pretty tall. The Rubi rails are at the top of my thighs. So yeah, my exit can be defined as a controlled fall. lol

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad I'm not the only one doing the graceful "controlled slide" down the side of the Jeep! :rofl:

I have the cloth, so I should have considerably longer life than the leather, but when getting out, I pretty much just turn to the opening and slide out.

I have the cloth as well, which is why I'm a little more concerned. I assume thre is more friction, with causes fraying of the fibers on a faster basis.

My thought was to put some neoprene Wet Okole seat covers on, which I'll probably still do, but all that sliding would cause the rubberized neoprene to rub against the seat more, and I'm sure that would only accelerate things.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have considered removing the running board entirely for something more functional, but have yet to spot what might actually be improvement on all levels of concern.

The only thing that I have seen thus far has been those single tubular steel steps that stick out about 6". But those do not run the length of the vehicle, and I like the look of the full length OEM bars.

You'd think there would be a hybrid mix of the two types somewhere....

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm 6' but my inseam is only 30 1/2" so I hear you ;)

One thing I have gotten used to doing is to hike my pants a little on my right leg before I get into my Jeep - I don't need the fabric trying to hold my leg down while I'm trying to swing it up.

I think that Jeep recognized that wear on the seats was going to occur and the seat covers look like they would be relatively easy to replace. I haven't checked but I imagine there would be some good aftermarket seat cover replacements available.

One thing you can do to minimize the wear is to make sure the seats stay clean. There is a reason they call it "sandpaper"....

Do you post your photography anywhere?

·
I do my own stunts.
3,019 Posts
In addition to having something to step on, like my rock rails, I also find that corner grab handles help a lot to lift your butt in and out of the seat with less sliding off the seat. Here are my Synergy metal corner grab handles. I really like them, and I use them all the time. They're way better positioned than the strap-on roll bar ones, which I rarely ever used.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
My fiancée is 5'1 on a good day and its hilarious watching her jump into my stock jku I love it lol and she wants to lift it but said she would buy the rails for "my" Christmas preset being 6'4 I kinda just slide in perfect but when I had my Mustang I was the wrong size so I see the problems shorter dudes have here from another point if view I guess lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
The first thing I thought about after I got into and out of my newly lifted Jeep was how quickly I'm going to wear my seats.

My 35" tires plus 2.5" RK lift (which netted closer to 4" of lift) leaves the Jeep pretty tall. The Rubi rails are at the top of my thighs. So yeah, my exit can be defined as a controlled fall. lol
On my 12 Rubi (rails without steps), getting in without using the grab-handle can be a wedgie-inducing experience, and I'm not a small person. I always wind up rubbing the outside of the driver's seat, too.

I've also got the leather seats. My understanding is that only parts of the seat are leather (which is why they refer to them as "leather-trimmed" instead of "leather", I guess).

With the standard leather seats (can't speak for the Katzkin, but I'd think for that price they'd be ALL leather) the only part of the seat that's actually leather is the part that your back and behind touch (the center section). The left and right sides were made from the shed skin of entire herds of Naugas (which is to say it's vinyl, or PVC to be more correct).

It wasn't obvious at first. But after I hit the seat with some leather conditioner a few times, I could feel the difference in texture between the center and outboard sections.

Having said that, I had thigh-searing Naugahyde seats in an old GM F-body that I owned years ago. They were, without exception, the most bulletproof and durable seats that I've ever had in a vehicle. Downside was that, in the summer, wearing shorts resulted in pain and the odor of burning flesh, but that's a small price to pay for durable seating surfaces, wouldn't you say? :rolleyes:

Hopefully the material that Chrysler is using on these "leather" seats is as durable as my old GM Naugahyde seats.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you guys. For my entry I usually swing in from the grab handle. My exit is exactly like most of you, a controlled fall. One thing that I did notice, during the "Controlled fall" I hit the seat height adjustment handle, which overtime resets it down a notch. I have a squeaky seat that stops squeaking if I just hit the height adjustment up one click, but the rubbing of the handle on the exit resets it, so I'm constantly adjusting it. It does take a day or two to fully reset to the lowest position, but its a headache nonetheless. The other obvious issue is wear, and after 10k miles the seat side bolster does have some wear wrinkles, I chalk it up as just inevitable wear and tear.

I have tried every possible combination of exiting the Jeep to avoid the rubbing, but there simply isn't an easier and more natural way then just extending my left leg and doing a slight controlled fall. Its even more of a controlled fall after a day of squats at the gym, at that point I just roll out of the seat and pray for a safe landing ;)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The other obvious issue is wear, and after 10k miles the seat side bolster does have some wear wrinkles, I chalk it up as just inevitable wear and tear.

See, this is what I'm trying to avoid now.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I win! I am 5'6"- and have a 3 1/2" lift. Plus I have short legs. Try doing the controlled slide in a skirt or running shorts. Thankfully I gave up on being graceful at about 10.
I bought Pure Jeep rock sliders- one on the reasons being they actually come with a step. (A tube is not a step). Installed them this weekend. One thing I didn't consider- the step sits almost parallel to the door. My stock steps were about 2" lower. I actually managed to make it worse. I literally can't get in the Jeep without the grab handles and even that is sketchy. I am officially THAT stupid girl in the parking lot who can't get into her own Jeep.
I have Smitty seat covers. They aren't wearing the cloth under the seat; but after only a few months they look like crap.
Yomondo- did you have to drill the roll bar for your corner handles?

·
Registered
346 Posts
We went with the AMP Research power steps as well. We have a 2.5 inch lift and 35's. Since there is no protection, we have to hope the ground clearance will be enough (17 inches from ground to lift motor).

Rock Slide Engineering offers power steps that offer protection. Here is their video.

Step-Sliders Are Out

Quadratec has them for about $1,800.00, not installed. My AMP Research steps were about $1,400 installed. Some would say both cost way to much, but maybe not be in the context of a $35,000 vehicle. It was safe to say, we liked our JK so much, the entry/exit hight after the lift and tires ended up being our only real negative. It's pretty much a personal and budget choice.

·
Registered
898 Posts
In addition to having something to step on, like my rock rails, I also find that corner grab handles help a lot to lift your butt in and out of the seat with less sliding off the seat. Here are my Synergy metal corner grab handles. I really like them, and I use them all the time. They're way better positioned than the strap-on roll bar ones, which I rarely ever used.

I have a set of these on order right now! I am mainly am getting them so the wife has something to grab on to to assist her in getting in on the passenger side. Glad you are finding them useful.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Those grab handles are great but I'm not a fan of having to cut a channel out of the A pillar to make them work. The ones Mopar2Ya seem to avoid the need to do that so those look like a better option.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
V. short here too, but incredibly good looking with a killer bod'.
If only I were a dancer.....

woo hoo me!

Anyway, BS aside, I too sliiiiiiiiiiide in and sliiiiiiiiiiiide out.

Perhaps I should recommend to my wife that I get ACE sliders to protect my seats?

·
I do my own stunts.
3,019 Posts
Yomondo- did you have to drill the roll bar for your corner handles?
No drilling, just trimming of plastic pieces.

I have a set of these on order right now! I am mainly am getting them so the wife has something to grab on to to assist her in getting in on the passenger side. Glad you are finding them useful.
My wife likes them too. I initially got them for her, but I have found them very useful for me too, for the purpose of reducing wear on the side of the seat from sliding off it.

I've been thinking about these handles: Front Grab Handles
I'm not sure I personally like the looks of those ones, but installation is way easier and cleaner than my Synergy ones.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts