Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my carpet got wet last summer and I didn't realize it until the smell started. What are my options? I thought about ripping it all out. I don't need it... except, I guess it would make it louder inside the cabin. I'm sure ya'll have dealt with this.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
So, my carpet got wet last summer and I didn't realize it until the smell started. What are my options? I thought about ripping it all out. I don't need it... except, I guess it would make it louder inside the cabin. I'm sure ya'll have dealt with this.
Try putting arm and hammer baking soda into the carpet and let it sit there for awhile. Then vacuum it out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
I pulled mine after some deep water soaked the rear under the seats. I let all of it dry, vacuumed it completely and then shampooed it allowing the sun to bake it dry. No smell at all. Also replaced floor plugs that were allowing water to intrude from beneath. I'm considering BedTred as a replacement solution since it does not hold water and therefore will not smell.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rip out the carpet and spray interior with Line-X bed coating. Highly recommend!

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I've pulled all my carpet a couple of times after some serious mud and water trips and took my pressure washer to it on a sunny day and let it bake completely dry. It not only cleaned things up but actually brightened up the carpet to like new or better and left zero smell. It's very simple to both remove and replace in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Same thing happened to me. A neighbor was running a driveway detailing business and I had him do the TJ. He used a steam cleaner on the carpet, which killed all nasty odors. Carpet is nearly 20 years old and looks new.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used to own a carpet cleaning company. Once it is dry mix up a little water and white vinegar. 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar and mist it on the carpet, both sides. That should take care of any odors

....but yes, pull it out of the Jeep until you sell it. Carpet sucks.

·
Registered
904 Posts
all good suggestions, i vote rip it out and leave it out, best mod i have done, actually looks like a jeep should without it in there messing up everything, lol

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I keep getting wet carpet on the driver side floor. I want to keep my carpet. Here in New England I feel it will be warmer and also cut down road noise.

That said, what are the most common causes of water wet carpets. I removed the seats last spring, pulled up the carpet, sanded off any rust spots (mostly around the carpet hook) and primed and painted then reinstalled the rug.

I do occasionally get a drip from the freedom panels but not enough to flood the floor. What is the most likely cause of driver side floor water????

·
Registered
426 Posts
I keep getting wet carpet on the driver side floor. I want to keep my carpet. Here in New England I feel it will be warmer and also cut down road noise.

That said, what are the most common causes of water wet carpets. I removed the seats last spring, pulled up the carpet, sanded off any rust spots (mostly around the carpet hook) and primed and painted then reinstalled the rug.

I do occasionally get a drip from the freedom panels but not enough to flood the floor. What is the most likely cause of driver side floor water????

Probably a bad seal around your door. Search the forum. Lots of examples. I’ve been through it with two JKs. One was a bad mucket the other was fixed with Shin Etsu grease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have done Monsta-liner in two past YJs and had Rhino lining on another YJ. The sheer amount of wires beneath the JK/JKU carpet is what is moving me away from linings and towards Bedtred.
My current plan is to velcrow down the factory slush mats and wires... and cut the old carpet to and veclrow it dow cover a few spots where the wires are in foot traffic areas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts