Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I meant to do this a while ago and never got around to it. so here it goes.

Bought a 2013 JKU Sahara in 2012 and immediately took it offroad.

First mods - armor it up.
Evo protek oil pan and DIY skid that attached to the Evo oil pan and factory skid bar - a little grinder action and some black paint...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got a bit distracted, put in the Bestop under seat drawer and the little mechanic was checking out a clunk after I put on Teraflex front discos (guess I didn't take pics? )-- we found the culprit and grinded the tube the cross member away. Franken bumper parts arrived from Quadratec
Pavement ends bumper and winch plate, Or Fab lower disco skid plate and Rugged Ridge hoop. total cost $348 with tax. Need to do some customizing (aka grinding) :atomic:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so I got all these franken parts with different finishes. Solution - rattle can bed liner from Walmart. Put together the bumper and winch plate - pretty easy. Had to break off one of the "ears" on the vacuum pump and push the pump back a bit to clear bumper mount but no big deal. Grinded the orfab disco, drilled some holes and installed upside down - I just made this up when I did it but it worked out great. I purposely shifted the lower skid slightly to one side so I can get the hi lift in between to lift the front bumper and keep it from shifting on me. Installed my old Ramsey Rep 8000 taken off of my 53 M-38A1 - its never let me down. Still need to add the hoop which didn't quite fit as I expected form the online specs ....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so I needed to do some figuring for my cheap Rugged Ridge hoop... I had to grind around one of the bolts on the winch plate on each side - it was too thin to just drill and I needed it to line up.
Holes drilled, paint touched up and hoop installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmmm is this front end sagging? Yep about 3/4 inches from the winch and bumper. Daystar 3/4 comfort ride fixed it right up for about $40. took some time off for my other Jeep build for my little mechanic. He loved it! Its even trail rated!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice looking Jeep brother! I always love buying something new & watching the reaction of my neighbors face as I take thing off to add new mods!

I must admit tho: the best one was when I cut a hole in the hood of my new Mustang to install a CDC SHAKER HOOD SCOOP when the car was barely a week old! LOL, Turned out completely awesome, but the neighbors wife was looking out her window like I was NUTS when I whipped out the jigsaw & started cutting! hahahaha:jawdrop:

Code Red

·
Registered
54 Posts
hmmmm is this front end sagging? Yep about 3/4 inches from the winch and bumper. Daystar 3/4 comfort ride fixed it right up for about $40. took some time off for my other Jeep build for my little mechanic. He loved it! Its even trail rated!!!
Outstanding - did you build or buy?

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time for some lift. Went with the Rancho 2" Sport lift plus Teraflex rear 1.5" springs and the daystar 3/4" pucks all around (eventually - at first just put up front but got some negative rake). Gave the Rancho 9000s a shot of clear coat to try to keep rust at bay. Made a mess and drank some beer with buddies while installing the lift. No major issues other than the annoying shock plastic and some busted knuckles. TF rear spring beefier than stock. Total cost $565 including tax from Quadratec price match to Amazon
:iamhappy:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is how it sat. before and after. A bit of negative rake but I can wait a bit to let it settle down.... Will need to test this out on the trail soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems to work pretty good - just stock tires for now. The Duelers are pretty mild tires but they last a long time! Minor trail damage - nothing a bungee for the ride home and little JB weld and $12 bracket can't fix right? Time to install the backup camera in the bumper since I have it off anyway - Amazon for real cheap like $10 plus a later trip tot he dealer for a 45 second flsh up date that cost--you guessed it $45 - a dollar a second.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fixed reverse rake by installing the 3/4" daystar or Rancho puck (can't rmeber which or if there is any difference) Somewhere along the line I got 4 Spidertrax spacers from a forum member for cheap like $75 shipped for all 4 and put them on. Now its time for some new shoes. Decided on E rated 295/70 r18 (34x11.50) Cooper Discoverer St Maxxs and stick with stock rims. Tread depot.com. delivered all 5 to my house for $1340. Another $100 for mounting and balancing. Stock vs replacement -not crazy difference but a lot heavier, more aggressive and tougher than duelers :awesome:gonna need to get a flashcal to run lower pressure now..it never ends. It even snowed so I could see how they handle --great BTW

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
some minor mods. Rewired winch with some heavy duty cable and made a new under hood winch solenoid bracket. Never seem to take pics of finished product--lose focus. Led backup lights are bright...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Outstanding - did you build or buy?
Built it based on some plans bought from a forum member. I adapted it for a double bed. Made a couple of templates to fdo some of the shapes. Was originally going to us a JK grill but ti was too small.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice looking Jeep brother! I always love buying something new & watching the reaction of my neighbors face as I take thing off to add new mods!

I must admit tho: the best one was when I cut a hole in the hood of my new Mustang to install a CDC SHAKER HOOD SCOOP when the car was barely a week old! LOL, Turned out completely awesome, but the neighbors wife was looking out her window like I was NUTS when I whipped out the jigsaw & started cutting! hahahaha:jawdrop:

Code Red
thanks you have to admit its a little bit crazy. But it is fun:thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also somewhere along the line the DIY skid plate rattled too much and was a bit low so I ditched it (will use in my future bumper build for corners..lol) I decided on this EVO Manufacturing JK 2012-15 ProTek 3.6L Automatic Transmission Skid plate - 1092B
Its stout and pretty easy to install. Also got cheap smittbily Rubi rails for cheap from Quadratec. This makes me feel better when I offroad, even before I got my bigger tires

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Also somewhere along the line the DIY skid plate rattled too much and was a bit low so I ditched it (will use in my future bumper build for corners..lol) I decided on this EVO Manufacturing JK 2012-15 ProTek 3.6L Automatic Transmission Skid plate - 1092B
Its stout and pretty easy to install. Also got cheap smittbily Rubi rails for cheap from Quadratec. This makes me feel better when I offroad, even before I got my bigger tires
here's what my undercarriage looks like -- 2/3 of the EVO Protek plus my DIY aluminum skid from the crossmember to the stock skid bar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My rear sway bar was not at 0 degrees - it wasn't terrible but I picked up a set of Rugged Ridge rear end links from Ryan on this forum. http://www.extremeterrain.com/rugged-ridge-sway-bar-links-jk-1830355.html?utm_content=XT+Handling+-+Swaybars+and+Disconnects|Rugged+Ridge&utm_campaign=TJ-YJ - Years&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term={keyword}&XTID=J21463

And finally got around to putting them on today (thanks Chris Columbus). Pretty straight forward with install. The hex head is a pit of PITA so I reused the stock lower bolt

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts