Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We haven't really taken the new Jeep out with the top down, except for a few neighborhood errands. It rained all weekend so we were forced to leave the top up.

This evening we jumped in, threw the Sunrider back in about 10.2 seconds and off to downtown Houston we went. Had a nice dinner, went and had a drink, and then drove home.

It was SO nice and SOOO easy to just have that small part open. Totally makes it well worth it for me!! The full top is nice when it's down, but I find the new top cumbersome to lower/raise.

I'm SO happy that the Sunrider is there. It wasn't even a feature we were aware of a week ago when we were going through the buying process. It was a surprise after we got it home.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Ya, it is probably one of the nicest things about the new soft top. I can open close in 9.8 seconds!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ya, it is probably one of the nicest things about the new soft top. I can open close in 9.8 seconds!!
With the Florida storms that pop up every 10 seconds, the sunrider is the way to go!
yea, you'll get to enjoy 0.2 seconds of open top!

I enjoy taking the freedom panels off for a drive, but they are heavy and cumbersome. Glad jeep made the sunrider an option for you soft toppers!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to confirm, it is ok to leave the windows in with the sunrider open correct?
If you are gong to be traveling over 40mph, it's recommended that you at least take the rear window out.

We unzipped it halfway and let it fold over into the trunk area. We left the side windows in, and we did not use the tie down straps. Drove it at 70mph down the interstate without any issues!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The Sunrider feature is the ONLY reason I have a soft top. If it wasn't for that, I'd ditch this thing like a hot potato...because access to the cargo area is a total P I T A with the soft top. The hard top is superior in every imagineable way...except for those quick open air experiences that the Sunrider feature gives you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Sunrider feature is the ONLY reason I have a soft top. If it wasn't for that, I'd ditch this thing like a hot potato...because access to the cargo area is a total P I T A with the soft top. The hard top is superior in every imagineable way...except for those quick open air experiences that the Sunrider feature gives you.
yea but the hard top has the freedom panels for the same effect

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
And.. then the freedom panels have to be stored somewhere. And they are heavy. And they are easy to crack/scratch/etc. Just a PITA. But..I miss my '11 hard top really bad.

·
BBQTIME
174 Posts
Nope. Nothing like that. When I have had the windows out (sides and rear) with the top up the rear corners flap around like crazy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I love my sunrider, so easy to put down for those quick moments...

Only thing i have noitced when I have my sunrider open and all the window panels still in at high speed (70mph) you will somtimes see the vacuum affect in the back (windows get sucked in, and sometimes a noise) but nothing that affects the driver or your experience. Another issue I have noticed is when i have the sunrider open and its not over 70º the hinges around the door sometimes pop out, making the soft top no longer flush around the door frame. If it does pop out and you are doing 70mph, the whole back window side panel will begin to bend backwards up to the zipper part starts... Doesnt really affect the panel as much as looks awful until you stop, open the door, and shove the hinge back into the door...

Sorry if I made no sense trying to explain the only issue I've found...

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I love my hard-top. I got the Dual Top option and I'm yet to put on the soft-top, but that's probably due to the fact I don't know enough people to help me get the thing off, and I don't have my hoist installed yet. :facepalm: Now that Autumn is here, I think I'll just wait until next season.

yea but the hard top has the freedom panels for the same effect
Makes me wonder if removing the Freedom Top lids is easier than having to worry about unzipping all kinds of stuff on the Sunrider.

True but it takes me more than 10.2 seconds to remove my freedom tops. :(
This is true, and the whole ordeal, while not difficult, is just kind of a pain in the ass.

And.. then the freedom panels have to be stored somewhere. And they are heavy. And they are easy to crack/scratch/etc. Just a PITA. But..I miss my '11 hard top really bad.
I don't think the panels are overly heavy, but I do have to be careful when installing them. I have a few scuff marks on the back portion of my hard-top from trying to "prop" the panels up and get them into position.

I've been kicking around the idea of selling the soft-top. It's still in its factory wrapping, and the boxes for the hardware/windows are still sealed in their boxes. I literally removed the soft-top and its parts from the vehicle, set them in the garage, and forgot about them.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I love my sunrider, so easy to put down for those quick moments...

Only thing i have noitced when I have my sunrider open and all the window panels still in at high speed (70mph) you will somtimes see the vacuum affect in the back (windows get sucked in, and sometimes a noise) but nothing that affects the driver or your experience. Another issue I have noticed is when i have the sunrider open and its not over 70º the hinges around the door sometimes pop out, making the soft top no longer flush around the door frame. If it does pop out and you are doing 70mph, the whole back window side panel will begin to bend backwards up to the zipper part starts... Doesnt really affect the panel as much as looks awful until you stop, open the door, and shove the hinge back into the door...

Sorry if I made no sense trying to explain the only issue I've found...
I've noticed the same thing about the 90* rubber hinge popping out slightly. I agree that it is annoying visually.

I love my sunrider feature. I used it a lot in the first 2 days of having my Jeep so far. I did find out that I can have it open and pull into or out of my garage. :redface: It adds just enough height and since I've lifted my Jeep it will not clear my garage door.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is the sunrider feature on the standard soft top or is it on the new premium only?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Makes me wonder if removing the Freedom Top lids is easier than having to worry about unzipping all kinds of stuff on the Sunrider.

You don't have to unzip anything. All you have to do is unlatch the two top clamps on the windshield and flip it back, that's it.

All I do I unzip the rear window halfway and let it hang inside the trunk. It's included in the 10.2 seconds! LOL

but apparently you don't have to unzip anything as others are leaving their windows in!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I love my freedom hard top. I take those off and on all the time with no problem. who cares if the roof is scratched? Stand them up in the cargo area interior to interior, no regrets. To each his own, but I love the hard top feature. 9 seconds vs 10 seconds?, this isn't the 100 yd dash folks.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is the sunrider feature on the standard soft top or is it on the new premium only?

Mine is a 2013 base model Sport, and it's listed under "standard equipment". Also my window sticker doesn't say anything about a premium top.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts