Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a 5700 mile trip and thought I would share my findings running 3 different tunes on this trip. There are no control factors or anything like that, just my MPG and my impression of the 3 tunes. For the most part we took the straightest possible route so dirt roads came into play. All the speeds listed are steady state speeds, it does not include driving through towns. Jeep weighed in a a 5800 lbs.

First leg, stock tune, Washington to Missouri. Speeds vary between 45-80 mph, interstate to county dirt roads. Iowa sure has a lot of dirt roads. Elevation change from sea level to almost 7000 ft. Temps between 50-80 degrees. Hand calculated mpg, 16.1. It's stock, it did nothing remarkable but it did nothing bad. Plenty of power to handle anything we saw on this leg.

Second leg, 87 performance tune, Missouri to California. Speeds vary between 35-80 mph, no dirt roads and very little interstate. This was the longest leg of the trip as we spent a lot of time in northern New Mexico. Elevation change from sea level to almost 11000 ft. Temps vary between 80-108, it was hot and AC was on all the time. Hand calculated mpg, 15.5. This tune is not a whole lot better than stock other than there is a noted improvement in throttle response. Much easier to pass vehicles when required. What is surprising is just how much power you lose when playing over 6000 ft. If I lived up there I would opt for 5.13 gearing in a heart beat and that is running 35's.

Last leg, Econo Tune, Ca back to Washington. Speeds very between 45-70, this time dirt roads and very little interstate. Elevation change from sea level to 8000 ft. Temps vary 70-100. Hand calculated mpg, 16.7. Power is very much down with this tune. I found I add to down shift much more on this tune than others. It is almost like I still had 4.10's. And I also noticed a slight bit of knocking when running this tune. While it did win the gas mileage it never saw the 80 mph speeds the other tunes saw.

Conclusion, don't buy this for just the tunes, I have a Rubicon so I get features that are Rubicon specific and I use all the time. The only other tune I have run is the tow tune and like the 87 performance tune it has great response but it requires 91 octane fuel. I have another trip planned in 6 weeks so I am going to try some of the other tunes and will report back those findings if they are interesting. Overall I think the best tune was the 87 octane tune. It feels a little up on power, could just be the throttle response. And even though it got the worse MPG the temps where up there high 90's for the most part and I spent a lot of that leg over 6000 feet.

I hoped this helps someone.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Any problems with the cooling fan? When I use the TD2 tunes it totally messed up my cooling fan. Came on at 175 off at 185 and then would not come on above that. Had tried to adjust bathe fan set temperature. Could only get the fan to work normally by uninstalling the TD2.

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fan worked great the entire time. I don't have any fan settings on mine. Fan was on low because I was running the AC most of the time. Only one time did it run faster and that was on a mid 90's day with high humidity. I had not ever heard that noise before and it was not long before it stepped down.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Your observations are pretty much dead on to what I found. The Superchips tuner, while giving me the option of programming for tire size, did absolutely squat for mpg, or power.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
After reading the comments in this thread, I'm thinking I'd be better off with a Flashcal. Do any of you guys regret your TD2 purchase?

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your observations are pretty much dead on to what I found. The Superchips tuner, while giving me the option of programming for tire size, did absolutely squat for mpg, or power.
There is not a tuner (canned) in the world at least as far as the 3.6 goes that will do much for power or mpg, but there are differences. When running the economy tune I was down on power and during that leg I was in the mountains for all but 80 miles of that leg. And it still got better MPG than the other tunes. I feel if I lived some place close to sea level and it was flat you might actual see a 1-2 mpg gain.

But none of that is worth the $500 a TD2 costs. But we need a tuner to changes tire size and gears and if you have a Rubicon at that point I think it starts to make since. The ability to have my lockers available even in 2wd or engaging the front locker without having to engage the rear is great. It is so much better than the stock switches I don't even use them any more. The tunes, just something to play around with.

FYI: I forgot about the crawl tune. It is interesting, didn't use it on this trip but have used it in the past. It basically dumb's down the throttler response. If you are gear correctly and have a 4:1 transfer case you can be smooth has silk over the rocks. You actually have to work at trying to over rev the engine or spin the tires. It is weird but it does work well, at least in the rocks.

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After reading the comments in this thread, I'm thinking I'd be better off with a Flashcal. Do any of you guys regret your TD2 purchase?
Nope, but again I have a Rubicon. If I didn't I would get the cheapest thing out there that would allow for tire and gear changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts