Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Holidays upon us, I would like to share a personal experience with my friends about drinking and driving. As you know, some of us have been known to have brushes with the authorities from time to time, often on the way home after a "social session" with family or friends.

Well, two days ago, this happened to me. I was out for an evening with friends and had more than several whiskies followed by a couple of bottles of rather nice red wine and vodka shots. Although relaxed, I still had the common sense to know I was slightly over the limit.

That's when I did something I've never done before - I took a taxi home! Sure enough on the way there was a police roadblock, but since it was a taxi they waved it past and I arrived home safely without incident.

This was a real surprise to me, because I had never driven a taxi before. I don't know where I got it, and now that it's in my garage I don't know what to do with it... So, anyway, if you want to borrow it give me a call.

Merry Christmas and be safe out there, ya hear?

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
With the Holidays upon us, I would like to share a personal experience with my friends about drinking and driving. As you know, some of us have been known to have brushes with the authorities from time to time, often on the way home after a "social session" with family or friends.

Well, two days ago, this happened to me. I was out for an evening with friends and had more than several whiskies followed by a couple of bottles of rather nice red wine and vodka shots. Although relaxed, I still had the common sense to know I was slightly over the limit.

That's when I did something I've never done before - I took a taxi home! Sure enough on the way there was a police roadblock, but since it was a taxi they waved it past and I arrived home safely without incident.

This was a real surprise to me, because I had never driven a taxi before. I don't know where I got it, and now that it's in my garage I don't know what to do with it... So, anyway, if you want to borrow it give me a call.

Merry Christmas and be safe out there, ya hear?
That was good.

Seriously, I don't have a lot of patience for people who drink and drive. My sister is blind because of one of those people. If you have a drink or two over a couple hours, fine. But if you drink faster than you can process the alcohol you should not be behind the wheel. It isn't just your life at stake.

·
Registered
904 Posts
its a huge problem here in the U.S., i'm in a large college town and its just out of control, even with uber and lyft reducing the dui's

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in a very small town in Texas. A family was killed yesterday morning in a traffic accident by a drunk driver in broad daylight. Have fun but plan a sober ride home.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The story was meant in jest but drunk driving isn't a joke. There are more folks killed in the US each year as a result of drunk drivers but there is not the same outrage by the politicians as there is with shootings.

If you were to compare the two, it would equate to a Sandy Hook each and every day of the year but there is no outcry against Budweiser like there is against the NRA.

Whatever sells newspapers........

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
The story was meant in jest but drunk driving isn't a joke. There are more folks killed in the US each year as a result of drunk drivers but there is not the same outrage by the politicians as there is with shootings.

If you were to compare the two, it would equate to a Sandy Hook each and every day of the year but there is no outcry against Budweiser like there is against the NRA.

Whatever sells newspapers........
I took it as a joke. No worries there.
However, your follow up statement about drunk driving not getting the same level of outrage and attention as shootings doesn't hold water. We as a country have taken many steps to curb drunk driving. We have passed laws, have increased enforcement of those laws, and changed social norms, to decrease the number of people killed by drunk drivers. And it has made a big difference.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I do love my whiskey and do drink a lot but not been out for years . I never drink unless i am home i do not go to any place to drink then home . Really could not say that when i was in my 20,s or 30,s . The cost can be just to high and sooner then you think you will if you drink and drive .

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I took it as a joke. No worries there.

However, your follow up statement about drunk driving not getting the same level of outrage and attention as shootings doesn't hold water. We as a country have taken many steps to curb drunk driving. We have passed laws, have increased enforcement of those laws, and changed social norms, to decrease the number of people killed by drunk drivers. And it has made a big difference.

It’s made about a 35% reduction in drunk driving fatalities over a 10 year period from 1990 to 2010 which is very significant. The decline has more or less settled in the last several years or so to around 11,000 traffic deaths per year.

But comparing firearms to drinking makes no sense at all. Firearms are used in the US an estimated 500,000 to 1 million times a year to prevent or deter a crime. But, these events are rarely reported in the media. How many times was alcohol used to do the same? And I don’t mean the criminal got too drunk and passed out while trying to commit a crime.

Another thing that does not get much media attention is the role of alcohol in domestic violence. A friend of mine is a prosecutor and almost invariably every single case involves alcohol and or drugs.

Reactions: Old Syko

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
It’s made about a 35% reduction in drunk driving fatalities over a 10 year period from 1990 to 2010 which is very significant. The decline has more or less settled in the last several years or so to around 11,000 traffic deaths per year.

But comparing firearms to drinking makes no sense at all. Firearms are used in the US an estimated 500,000 to 1 million times a year to prevent or deter a crime. But, these events are rarely reported in the media. How many times was alcohol used to do the same? And I don’t mean the criminal got too drunk and passed out while trying to commit a crime.

Another thing that does not get much media attention is the role of alcohol in domestic violence. A friend of mine is a prosecutor and almost invariably every single case involves alcohol and or drugs.
I tried to keep my comments restricted to the false suggestion that drunk driving gets no outrage and no political attention. Clearly it does and that attention has reaped a fairly big reduction in drunk driving deaths.
I really don't want to touch the gun side of that as that is too emotional for many.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I tried to keep my comments restricted to the false suggestion that drunk driving gets no outrage and no political attention. Clearly it does and that attention has reaped a fairly big reduction in drunk driving deaths.

I really don't want to touch the gun side of that as that is too emotional for many.

True enough, many ignore the facts and make it into an emotional and personal attack.

Banning alcohol was never effective and led to more problems than it solved. So, we instead try to regulate behavior through education and severe legal consequences. That did work, but I’m afraid we’ve hit the fatality plateau and are likely to not see much more significant reduction. I personally don’t do a lot of late night driving and try to stay off the streets during the peak drunkard periods.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps I did not state my point correctly.

How many presidential candidates are speaking out against drunk driving as part of their political platform? How many are talking about the second amendment or the NRA?

That was all that I was trying to say........

Reactions: jadmt

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Perhaps I did not state my point correctly.

How many presidential candidates are speaking out against drunk driving as part of their political platform? How many are talking about the second amendment or the NRA?

That was all that I was trying to say........
The only thing I’ve heard is that Hunter Biden is a drunkard and got booted out of the Navy for over enjoyment of nose candy. Then daddy tries to cover up his nefarious actives. To bring it back on topic I believe he now drives a Taxi in Thailand.

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
I think the reason you don't hear the political candidates talking about drunk driving is that there really isn't anyone in favor of drunk driving. Even the alcohol manufacturers are on board with trying to curb drunk driving.
There really isn't much point trying to make a big deal out of something everyone agrees on. And if they did say something about being against drunk driving no one would care because pretty much everyone is against drunk driving.

And texting or using your "smart"phone while driving is the next area where there is room for massive improvement in road safety. I agree with that. @dlivry7

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I think it’s just that society accepts that 11,000 US drunk driving deaths a year is about as good as it gets. There is no public flavor for increasing restrictions on personal freedom in exchange.

But why not install a breathalyzer interlock on every vehicle? The technology already exists, it is proven, and could be done in mass production for probably $50 a vehicle. It’s a rhetorical question, because we all know the answer.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I think the reason you don't hear the political candidates talking about drunk driving is that there really isn't anyone in favor of drunk driving. Even the alcohol manufacturers are on board with trying to curb drunk driving.
There really isn't much point trying to make a big deal out of something everyone agrees on. And if they did say something about being against drunk driving no one would care because pretty much everyone is against drunk driving.

And texting or using your "smart"phone while driving is the next area where there is room for massive improvement in road safety. I agree with that. @dlivry7
Well....First off, I AM against drunk driving. My issue is what is considered drunk. Everyone has a different level of tolerance. Understandably the level is set at the lowest level in order to be the most effective.

What there is no data on, is how many lives have been seriously impacted negatively by roadside checkpoints, who were over the legal limit, but still function just fine. Mandatory penalties including loss of license, fines that can equal 50% of someones yearly take home income, higher insurance rates where the extra $$ is enjoyed by private companies - all without the option of a trial to see if the crime matches the penalty.

My main issue is that it has been made a crime, to be in the condition where you might commit a crime. We put people in jail for killing someone, not for being angry enough to kill someone. Someone who is over the legal limit is made a criminal with out any victim, just because a percentage of others have committed a crime with a victim. And there is no data of what that percentage is, because we have no data on how many miles are driven with out incident.

The law should just be that you don't cause accidents. If you do, then a trail should equate the penalty to the cause by a judge and/or jury. If one of my family were killed in an accident caused by someone else, it doesn't really matter if he was drunk, texting, changing the radio station, picking his nose, swatting a fly, old with poor eyesight/reflexes, etc., the end result is the same. This is written by someone who has gone over 35 years without any accident, including not my fault and only 1 ticket that was dismissed. There are those who can have a few drinks and still function.
:tomatoes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts