Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find it (must be searching the wrong terms), but I know that I've seen a post with the parts list for the OEM soft top.

A guy on Craigslist "thinks" he has all the part of the stock top that came with a 2008 Wrangler, and I asked him about those brackets but my bet is that they were left on the Jeep if they guy wasn't looking for them.

He sent this photo:
Product Bumper Automotive exterior Car Vehicle

I can't tell much from the photo, but the top itself looks intact. If I need more parts, where would I get those for the best price?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
In post #1 in the soft top help thread stickied at the top of the forum there is a link to a diagram that shows all the OEM soft top parts. Someone thought it was a joke, but it really does show you all the parts you need.

I'm not saying Morris is the place to buy all those parts for the best price, it's just a comprehensive parts list/diagram. If I were you, I'd go to amazon and see what parts you can buy there. If your handyman is hardware savvy, you could print the list for him and send him to Lowes or Home Depot to see what screws, nuts, bolts he can find there. That's always a lower priced alternative than the dealer. Might also check Fastenal, if you have one of those local to you. They carry or can order hardware that Home Depot doesn't stock.

I'd also check Steve White Motors on eBay. He's a CDJ dealer in North Carolina, and he sells OEM parts cheaper than a normal dealership. I bought slush mats for Mike's jeep from them and they were half the price the dealer wanted, and they were genuine OEM MOPAR mats.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Soft top with bows and header
two side windows
one rear window
two front door surrounds
two rear door surrounds
rear tailgate bar
two tailgate bar clips
four long surround bolts(plastic head)
two short surround bolts(plastic head)
two rollbar brackets(photo)
four screws for rollbar
four shouldered bolts(attach rear bows to rollbar brackets-usually in rear bows))
two elastic straps with snaps(for rolling up rear window, while installed)
two velcro straps for securing top in sunrider position and down

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AH- Starbrite I knew I saw that list, I just couldn't remember where! Thanks!

And that you so much for the detailed photo above, fdisker! That helps more than you know.

Looking at the picture the seller sent me and your picture above, it looks like lots of parts are missing from the top, like the tailgate bar and so on, doesn't it? The picture does suck, though!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy just sent another photo, and this looks more like it:
Room Automotive exterior Bumper Table

I've never seen a soft top in person, so the diagrams and photos help a lot! Does this look like all of the parts would be there? Including the door surrounds (having trouble visualizing what is what)?

I just realized the guy never gave a price. What would be a great deal on this, 2008 soft top set up for my 2014? What would be a decent offer if he says 'make an offer'?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

I've never seen a soft top in person, so the diagrams and photos help a lot! Does this look like all of the parts would be there? Including the door surrounds (having trouble visualizing what is what)?

I just realized the guy never gave a price. What would be a great deal on this, 2008 soft top set up for my 2014? What would be a decent offer if he says 'make an offer'?
I'm not a parts expert, so I'll leave that to one of the experts. I would say though that those windows look a little smushed up in that picture. I'd want to know if that has caused any marks, scratches or creases in the windows and then base the price accordingly.

Maybe try to search Craigslist for other tops and the for sale section here to see what people have asked for a 2008?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not a parts expert, so I'll leave that to one of the experts. I would say though that those windows look a little smushed up in that picture. I'd want to know if that has caused any marks, scratches or creases in the windows and then base the price accordingly.

Maybe try to search Craigslist for other tops and the for sale section here to see what people have asked for a 2008?

I will be thrilled to have an expert help figure out which parts are which, and if they are there!

He did say "make a reasonable offer". He's about 90 miles away, so even though I can negotiate a bit based on condition, I want to make sure it's worth driving for. I don't want to get there an go "Uh oh, I just wasted 4 hours and 10 gallons of gas!

Not for nothing, we're supposed to get a foot of snow later today and tomorrow- so I don't think he'll get a ton of offers on the soft top today, but who knows?

·
Registered
684 Posts
View attachment 992921

I just realized you have a JK, not a JKU, sorry. So, you only need one set of door surrounds from that list.

All I see in that photo is two door surrounds, the door surround bolts and what looks like a rear window rolled up. The first photo is the bulk of the soft top & bows and at least one side window. There looks like other stuff under the paper, that I cannot make out.
I do not see the rear tailgate bar, tailgate bar clips and straps.
I bought a 2008 soft top four months ago for my 2014 JKU on Craigslist for$200, missing the rollbar brackets(extra cost $60) total cost $260.The windows are in decent shape and the top, as a whole, looks to be in better shape than that one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He emailed me back, and said he'd sell for $275.

I told him I would price out the missing pieces, or the pieces that seem to be missing, and let him know.

Thank you so much for your input! I want a good deal, and I know buying used, especially one never put on, may mean some missing pieces.

I love this forum!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He just emailed me again, and said $200. I still have no idea if all the parts are there (neither does he), and I asked him if I sent a parts list if he was willing to check as the parts (if missing) are ridiculously expensive.

His response: "I'll look, but that diagram already tells me that what I'm selling it for is a steal...you'd be getting a lot of the actual soft pieces and window pieces for like a 10th of the price, this stuff is in good shape too, plus I have a good portion of the bars and folding pieces, but I'll try and see what I don't have... "

He's right- as $200 is a pretty good price- but not for "most" or "alot" of the pieces. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
684 Posts
He just emailed me again, and said $200. I still have no idea if all the parts are there (neither does he), and I asked him if I sent a parts list if he was willing to check as the parts (if missing) are ridiculously expensive.

His response: "I'll look, but that diagram already tells me that what I'm selling it for is a steal...you'd be getting a lot of the actual soft pieces and window pieces for like a 10th of the price, this stuff is in good shape too, plus I have a good portion of the bars and folding pieces, but I'll try and see what I don't have... "

He's right- as $200 is a pretty good price- but not for "most" or "alot" of the pieces. :jawdrop:
$200 is a good price, if it's in good shape, even if you have to replace a few parts.
The best you can do is ask for a photo(or 2) of ALL the parts laid out individually(not on top of each other), so you can decide(& even post here for advise). Even then, some parts may STILL be missing or damaged. You'll have to weigh whether it's worth the trip to look at it, or even purchase it.
You'll only be sure when you install it completely.
There are inherent risk involved when purchasing used(broke/missing parts, wear &tear from use, dated design, etc.) but the cost savings may be worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am I the middle of changing my jeep's 4 door Sahara hard top to soft. The kit I bought did not have the roll bar bracket and screws which I have now. I've googled and watched YouTube videos but I can't find anything on how to attach the bracket to bows on the frame. I've got how to attache the bracket to the roll bar but I am stumped. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
49 Posts
When buying a used jku top, what brackets are on the sellers vehicle that I need to get from him. It seems that every used top needs a trip to the dealer. To those that have the dual top package, what did you get from the dealer and what was on the jeep that should be removed and given to the buyer.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You will need the roll bar brackets which on a factory top have 2 holes each, door surrounds and the tailgate bar.

The top should have the header bar on it.

Now that there are multiple tops available, knowing that you either have a sunrider or not is nice to know.

I just picked up a 2dr soft top to replace my damaged one for $75. It's a sunrider which was important to me but was missing a bunch of brackets and the mounts to the roll bar. For me, that wasn't an issue as I had these pieces already but I used that to get a lower price. I looked at one a week or so ago and found out it wasn't a sunrider, so no go on that one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts