Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will stock sport s tires fit on AEV pintler wheels?

Thinking of going the AEV route with Quadratec's AEV stage 1 package but dropping over $5k at one time would not leave a lot leftover for tires for a short bit.

Honestly I almost wouldn't mind doing a full aev conversion, just not sure I can do that. (time, $$$, location...)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes, I've seen it a time or two from people looking to spread out the cost over some time.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
If the AEV package is what you want and have the money, then by all means. Honestly, we can get your Jeep looking the same and performing just as good or better on road and off for a lot less money.

If you are interested in what we got then PM me. Otherwise if the AEV is what you really want, go for it. I have seen a few people run stock sized tires under a lift.

-Dan

·
Registered
928 Posts
If the AEV package is what you want and have the money, then by all means. Honestly, we can get your Jeep looking the same and performing just as good or better on road and off for a lot less money.

If you are interested in what we got then PM me. Otherwise if the AEV is what you really want, go for it. I have seen a few people run stock sized tires under a lift.

-Dan
Just curious what other suspension company has anywhere near the level of R&D and accolades to back it up as AEV?
Just to name a few places AEV has had featured articles, Wall Street Journal, Popular Mechanics, Petersons 4WD and Offroad, Truck Trends, Car and Driver ect....

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
I know for a fact that Rock Krawler and Synergy will ride just as great on road and you don't sacrifice anything off-road. I like RK, TF and Synergy over AEV and I sell them all, including AEV. Don't get me wrong, AEV is fine. Their 2.5" kits is a great kit for the money. When they get into 3.5" and 4.5" they rely on bracketry to round out the lift. accolades are fine, but I know what I want as a consumer. I am in a unique position to know what I want and what needs to be done at 3.5" and 4.5" lift heights. What I want isn't necessarily what the next guy wants. AEV is a marketing giant.

Other companies like Rock Krawler (Pure Performance) and Synergy Suspension (Poly Performance) are huge companies as well. I would imagine they have just us much R&D into their products as AEV, just cause it isn't in a magazine doesn't really mean anything.

A lot of times write ups, comparison tests and accolades are pure marketing. The same products being reviewed, a lot of times, are major sponsors or advertisers with said publication. I know for a fact that a similarly packaged deal like the AEV stage 1, with a similar end goal can be had for less money without sacrificing anything.

-Dan

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know for a fact that Rock Krawler and Synergy will ride just as great on road and you don't sacrifice anything off-road. I like RK, TF and Synergy over AEV and I sell them all, including AEV. Don't get me wrong, AEV is fine. Their 2.5" kits is a great kit for the money. When they get into 3.5" and 4.5" they rely on bracketry to round out the lift. accolades are fine, but I know what I want as a consumer. I am in a unique position to know what I want and what needs to be done at 3.5" and 4.5" lift heights. What I want isn't necessarily what the next guy wants. AEV is a marketing giant.

Other companies like Rock Krawler (Pure Performance) and Synergy Suspension (Poly Performance) are huge companies as well. I would imagine they have just us much R&D into their products as AEV, just cause it isn't in a magazine doesn't really mean anything.

A lot of times write ups, comparison tests and accolades are pure marketing. The same products being reviewed, a lot of times, are major sponsors or advertisers with said publication. I know for a fact that a similarly packaged deal like the AEV stage 1, with a similar end goal can be had for less money without sacrificing anything.

-Dan
One thing about this conversation, is several people are focusing on the lift kit portion of what I mentioned since I mentioned tire size. THe lift is the most minor point of the package to me.

The stage 1 package from Quadratec is:
AEV 2" Spacer Suspension System
AEV ProCal Module
AEV Tubeless Front Bumper
AEV Front Bumper Skid Plate
AEV Winch Mount
AEV Winch Plate Delete Kit
AEV Rear Bumper
AEV Painted To Match Hood
AEV Pintler Wheels in Black

I don't really see the lift kit as much in this package. As I said before, I was thinking 33's or 35's but prob 33's since I have a 3.21 and while I wouldn't mind a re-gear, its not the best use of money for where I live.

I was just thinking this would transform my whole Jeep in pretty much one pass - except the tires which I was hoping I could just add at any point. In truth, I could just leave the rims off till I buy the tires, but if the stock ones fit, depending on my wait, it may be worth it to spend the $$ on mounting and balancing 2xs.

My other thought was to just pay for the AEV conversion directly but I don't think there is any place near me where I could get it done....

·
Registered
701 Posts
One thing about this conversation, is several people are focusing on the lift kit portion of what I mentioned since I mentioned tire size. THe lift is the most minor point of the package to me.

The stage 1 package from Quadratec is:
AEV 2" Spacer Suspension System
AEV ProCal Module
AEV Tubeless Front Bumper
AEV Front Bumper Skid Plate
AEV Winch Mount
AEV Winch Plate Delete Kit
AEV Rear Bumper
AEV Painted To Match Hood
AEV Pintler Wheels in Black

I don't really see the lift kit as much in this package. As I said before, I was thinking 33's or 35's but prob 33's since I have a 3.21 and while I wouldn't mind a re-gear, its not the best use of money for where I live.

I was just thinking this would transform my whole Jeep in pretty much one pass - except the tires which I was hoping I could just add at any point. In truth, I could just leave the rims off till I buy the tires, but if the stock ones fit, depending on my wait, it may be worth it to spend the $$ on mounting and balancing 2xs.

My other thought was to just pay for the AEV conversion directly but I don't think there is any place near me where I could get it done....
Just a small preference note, I would spend a little more to get the tubed front bumper.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a small preference note, I would spend a little more to get the tubed front bumper.
well I liked the premium front bumper better (and if I had piecemealed this together, that's how I would have gone). Not sure if they will allow swaps - but its only about a $300 savings plus I believe it loses the shipping surcharges when bought as a package.

Just curious, why would you say the premium is that much better than the tubeless?

·
Registered
701 Posts
well I liked the premium front bumper better (and if I had piecemealed this together, that's how I would have gone). Not sure if they will allow swaps - but its only about a $300 savings plus I believe it loses the shipping surcharges when bought as a package.

Just curious, why would you say the premium is that much better than the tubeless?
Well I recently had a run in with a deer in my last Jeep, having a tube there would have saved a ton of damage, and I'd like to mount some lights there.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

I also prefer the look of the tubeless AEV front bumper myself. Just looks cleaner to me but I know we all have different tastes.

I have a 2" AEV lift on my 14 jkur and run 34's that is the biggest you can safely run with the 2" kit and I actually get a small amount of fender/tire contact on rear on hard off road. Not enough to hurt anything but enough to make noise.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
I am considering that entire package, not just the lift. We could get bumpers, wheels, tires and even a procal along with the lift and be much less money. I am by no means trying to change your mind, if you like the AEV stuff, look and price, great. Just giving you options and seeing if we could save you some money.

-Dan

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
You can run the stock 255/70-17 tires on the Pintlers which are 8.5" wide. That is the max recommended rim width by GY.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am considering that entire package, not just the lift. We could get bumpers, wheels, tires and even a procal along with the lift and be much less money. I am by no means trying to change your mind, if you like the AEV stuff, look and price, great. Just giving you options and seeing if we could save you some money.

-Dan
Dan - I honestly appreciate your presence on these boards. I used you as a good example in my marketing class [email protected] KU I like the friendly comments that are not too pushy about what you can offer. Its a great way to take advantage of new media and market your service. I like your store, but a lot of your products are more "rock crawler" and not something that I feels fits my design. I have no issues purchasing from you if you can price-match.

Right now I am at a crossroads with my build. I like something that works together as a whole package, not just individual pieces. That's why I lean towards AEV - they have an OEM quality design where everything fits together. I have looked at more of a "rock crawler" build but that really doesn't fit my intended purpose - the AEV seems more of an overland build (especially with a Gobi) which right now it seems like I want.

If I was going to plop down 5k on a stock jeep to change its looks, it wouldn't be on stock tires after I was done......
its not just about looks for me. I need a new hood (mine got major hail damage) and the bumpers are as much for safety as looks. That's about $3500 of the package right there. Another $1200 for the rims and that's where you end up.

Figure another $1500 for tires plus mounting and balancing....

And I still need to add the rear tire carrier, fuel caddy and maybe a hi-lift.

I could do it all that for less if I went Rugged Ridge or Smittybilt but I am thinking its worth it to wait to get the AEV...

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
FYI
You can piece together a kit that that matches or better then what AEV offers. Here's a example -
- progressive coils (Synergy, RK triple rate
- shocks (Rancho 9000, 7000 w/ rebate. 5100)
- rear track bar bracket (Teraflex)
- longer rear links, stock rears to front
- control arm drop brackets (Rancho, AEV, RC)

I strongly feel AEV's great ride is contributed mostly to the drop brackets. Run without them and see what I mean. Now you're right with any other basic setup in a similar situation. I don't buy totally into their marketing claims. I don agree with Dan on the 2.5"
I haven't done the math on piecing together a kit using other components. Might be worth checking out.
The 3.5" uses the same brackets up front and 0 pinion correction on the rear. Also a stock RHD drag link.

·
Registered
305 Posts
its not just about looks for me. I need a new hood (mine got major hail damage) and the bumpers are as much for safety as looks. That's about $3500 of the package right there. Another $1200 for the rims and that's where you end up.

Figure another $1500 for tires plus mounting and balancing....

And I still need to add the rear tire carrier, fuel caddy and maybe a hi-lift.

I could do it all that for less if I went Rugged Ridge or Smittybilt but I am thinking its worth it to wait to get the AEV...
Need a new hood? Thats what insurance is for (especially since it isn't for looks).

There are plenty of high quality full width bumpers (f/r) out there for less than $2500 for the pair.

Again there are plenty of companies that offer quality parts besides smittybilt, rugged ridge, and aev.

I have nothing against aev, but for 5 grand I'm not going to be on stock 32" sr-a's...

·
Registered
928 Posts
AEV is a lot more than marketing. There are plenty of suspension companies spending tons of money on marketing, not a one is sold through dealers, maintain their value and have their parts used as OEM special edition vehicles.
Give credit where credit is due, AEV is the best Jeep OEM and aftermarket company out there.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
AEV is a lot more than marketing. There are plenty of suspension companies spending tons of money on marketing, not a one is sold through dealers, maintain their value and have their parts used as OEM special edition vehicles. Give credit where credit is due, AEV is the best Jeep OEM and aftermarket company out there.
Let's agree to disagree :D

Edit: Teraflex now works with Mopar

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Need a new hood? Thats what insurance is for (especially since it isn't for looks).

There are plenty of high quality full width bumpers (f/r) out there for less than $2500 for the pair.

Again there are plenty of companies that offer quality parts besides smittybilt, rugged ridge, and aev.

I have nothing against aev, but for 5 grand I'm not going to be on stock 32" sr-a's...
just got the insurance check and they were going to pay so much to have someone do PDR on the hood, I can pay 95% of a new AEV hood (already painted) and delivered to my door.

That's where I have been going back and forth. Its between the AEV and RR. The hood choice to me determines the rest of my build since I want mine to look like a total package. Besides, the stock tires at most would be a few months, not the life of the Jeep.

I have looked at almost every bumper out there. I like both AEVs. I love the new Atlas rear from Smittybilt - just worried about quality and being able to find one (and not 100% into the matching front). I like the RR modular front bumper (sometimes with the storage ends-sometimes just a stubby) but again the quality concerns and I don't like their rear.

I don't like any that still need to be finished ( like some of the poison spider) and honestly none of the other designs from any of the dozen or so catalogues I have stood out (except a cheap tubular rear that I couldn't find a matching front I liked).

I know I know I'm picky but I finally want to do a vehicle MY way and not compromise... Now I just need to figure out what I want :)

Edit- 1 more thing. I know $5K is a lot of money and I don't take that lightly. My youngest graduates in 2 months. At that point, I literally get an extra 2 weeks take home every month and even though I have a great job, my wife does a lot better than me so a fair part of my check will be free and clear. Its why I am not too worried about the overall $$$ amount and saying the tires would be at the most an extra month if I push it or 2 if I don't.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Just as a for instance. I can get you into:
Teraflex Performance Levling kit
JCR Off-road Vanguard Full Width front bumper
JCR Off-road Vanguard Full Width rear bumper (tire carrier ready)
AEV Pintlers in black (5)
Goodyear Duratrac 33x12.50R17 (5)
AEV ProCal

For $4112.84

Now you may not like the JCR product, it can be anything filled in there. Expedition One has some sick full width bumpers. There is also the Poison Spyder Brawler Mid width. Keep this in mind the TF performance leveling kit is a spring lift rated to take the weight of the bumpers. The AEV stage 1 package is a spacer lift, and adding weight may still sag the OEM springs. Obviously, we could go the budget boost route and knock a few hundred of my price.

-Dan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts