Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to sum this up so it doesn't get too confusing.

Bought a 2003 TJ 4L 5 speed (nv3550) and the transmission developed a problem. The best way I can explain it is.. For example... I'm driving lets say 15 km/hr and I press the clutch all the way down and move my shifter between first and second gear while holding the clutch. I could feel moving parts hooking up in the transmission as though the clutch wasn't doing its job. A bit of a grind/clutter. This happens between the gears even while driving normal... As I press the clutch and shift I feel this between gears also.

I took it to a transmission shop and he rebuilt the transmission (2 times according to the shop owner) and it still had the same problem. New clutch and throw bearing as well. So he blames the last person that worked on the transmission and said he did something weird to it. Even though the jeep only has 120,000 kilometers and I don't believe it had work done.

So.. He tells me it can't be rebuilt and I should get a different transmission.. And I do. I ordered a fresh rebuild from a reputable company called highline 4x4. When it finally arrived I had the shop install it and guess what !!!!! It still does the same thing. The shop owner blames the company I bought the transmission from and claims there is something wrong with the rebuild.

So...3 months and $2500 later and the jeep is the exact same way as it was when I dropped it off.

I'm hoping you guys can help me narrow down the problem.. I can't for 1 second believe that my luck is that bad that 2 rebuilds and a new transmission could be that bad ! I'm taking the jeep to another shop and hoping to prove that the first shop really messed me over so I can get some $ back and finally get my jeep going before summer is over.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just a thought but if your slave cylinder isn't disengageing the clutch all the way it could cause that. I had a ford courier do the same thing. The slave on it had failed just enough that it would act like I was riding the clutch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine makes a clutter noise also. That usually happens a split second between shifting as the synchros line up. If it's only doing it in 1st and 2nd then it's something with the 1st/2nd synchros. They should have been replaced in the rebuild and if done properly should have gone a away. I doubt the rebuild you got from highline would have the same exact problem.

I would take it to a different shop after so many "failed" attempts at rebuilding it. Did they ever check the hydraulic lines? A failing master cylinder or slave cylinder, or air in the lines could cause gear clash, but you would notice grinding or noise shifting into every gear.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Have you tried double clutching it until you figure the problem out? Push the clutch in, shift to neutral, let the clutch out put the clutch in and shift to the next gear. I use to drive an old 61 Chevy 12 foot flat bed (family business gravestones)and that's the only way you could shift the thing without grinding.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I got my auto transmission done for $1,200.00. The guy took a couple of weeks, but he did a great job. It did start slipping again, and I noticed it was leaking, so I took it back. He fixed the leak, and it has been perfect every since then. This was about one year ago. I think I was lucky. Aamco wanted like 2,500.00, and I can't imagine what the dealer would have charged me.

The dealership really ripped me off. I ordered my Jeep and they didn't want to sell it to me for the price we signed for when it arrived. They raised the price $5,000.00 dollars!! I had to have my Jeep though, so I paid it. I realized ten years later that I could have sued them. But, I was in love and I still am.

I hate Jeep Dealerships. They really try to take advantage of you. Definitely, don't go to Long Beach Jeep in California.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts